• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Patriots vs Jets

Hoenheim

they're banging on him on the talk shows.  saying mcdaniels ran a single read high school offense because its the only thing cam can run.  i think that was the game plan but i don't think that's all he can do.  watching cam he seems healthy but listening to him is weird.  i honestly think he has the brain fog some people experience post covid.

30 minutes ago, raz said:

they're banging on him on the talk shows.  saying mcdaniels ran a single read high school offense because its the only thing cam can run.  i think that was the game plan but i don't think that's all he can do.  watching cam he seems healthy but listening to him is weird.  i honestly think he has the brain fog some people experience post covid.

People who say stuff like that just want people to get angsty and spend time talking about their shows. It’s silly hot takes. Cam was fine. He got covid, missed time, watched his WR corps die and now his top two WRs are guys that most teams wouldn’t bother rostering. The Patriots, as a whole, are lacking B or higher talent that didn’t opt out of the season and it shows. 

9 minutes ago, Varking said:

People who say stuff like that just want people to get angsty and spend time talking about their shows. It’s silly hot takes. Cam was fine. He got covid, missed time, watched his WR corps die and now his top two WRs are guys that most teams wouldn’t bother rostering. The Patriots, as a whole, are lacking B or higher talent that didn’t opt out of the season and it shows. 

i think its an accurate statement that it was a single read high school offense

Just now, Varking said:

I don’t disagree with that. I disagree with the assessment it’s the only thing Cam can run. 

i did too.   but cam def doesn't sound like cam.   maybe its a new cam and i'm not used to it yet, or maybe he has some fog

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Really didn't want the Pats having any shot at all at Lawrence/Fields, so glad they didn't lose to the Jets. But it's absolutely hilarious that they came that close to losing to the Jets... The Patriots are terrible, Cam is inconsistent and even at his best at this point he's just slightly above average. I hope they enjoy 7-9 purgatory for the next decade+.

This same comment is probably being said on the KC forum.  

I just watched a replay of the game last night and the MNF crew made a comment that they could very well have a winning record if they got a couple of breaks.   

Considering the talent at WR.  I think Cam is doing his best.   

I'll be interested to see where he goes in 2021.

1 hour ago, joemac said:

Where the hell do the Pats spend all their money?  Because it definitely ain't the offense or the defensive line.  

They had the most opt-outs in the league, injuries, and just not a lot of cap space to begin with.  Probably one of the reasons Brady left is they didn't really have a lot of room to get better.  

People act like it is a Brady thing with that team and it just isn't true.  Look at their season last year.  After an 8-0 start (primarily because of their defense playing at an historical level, which wasn't likely to be the case again), they went 4-5 the rest of the way including the postseason, and the offense was barely averaging 20 a game.  This team was on a downward spiral before Brady left and before the opt-outs.  And Brady saw it coming.  He couldn't have left at a better time.

1 minute ago, Mage said:

They had the most opt-outs in the league, injuries, and just not a lot of cap space to begin with.  Probably one of the reasons Brady left is they didn't really have a lot of room to get better.  

People act like it is a Brady thing with that team and it just isn't true.  Look at their season last year.  After an 8-0 start (primarily because of their defense playing at an historical level, which wasn't likely to be the case again), they went 4-5 the rest of the way including the postseason, and the offense was barely averaging 20 a game.  This team was on a downward spiral before Brady left and before the opt-outs.  And Brady saw it coming.  He couldn't have left at a better time.

last time bellicheat drafted a probowler was 2013.  only other team that hasn't is the bengals.  its not just injuries and opt outs.  he's been sucking at drafting for years now

2 minutes ago, raz said:

last time bellicheat drafted a probowler was 2013.  only other team that hasn't is the bengals.  its not just injuries and opt outs.  he's been sucking at drafting for years now

That's true too.  They have struggled in a lot of areas.  I still think Belichick is a great coach though (just not a good personnel/GM guy).  But it's another reason why they are in a bad financial situation this season.  Poor drafting leads to them having to pay to compensate.  So it's a culmination of a lot of things.

I don't know if the Pats are still 3-5 with Brady, but I don't think they are that much better either. 

1 minute ago, Mage said:

That's true too.  They have struggled in a lot of areas.  I still think Belichick is a great coach though (just not a good personnel/GM guy).  But it's another reason why they are in a bad financial situation this season.  Poor drafting leads to them having to pay to compensate.  So it's a culmination of a lot of things.

I don't know if the Pats are still 3-5 with Brady, but I don't think they are that much better either. 

yeah, everybody remembers a long time ago when they were great at drafting and developing talent and had stockpiles of draft picks from it.  its just not like that there anymore.  

1 minute ago, Mage said:

I think you are correct on all counts.  The Pats have been plugging holes through FA signings for most of the last decade.  Before that, they always seemed to latch on to a couple of players in the draft that came in and played above their heads, and used their FA signings to go over the top.

They have not been a juggernaut for several years.  Even their last Superb Owl win was really all about defense.  They entered the fourth quarter in a 3-3 tie.  They were still capable enough to win an occasional track meet game, but their defense was carrying the day.  Not unlike it did at the start of their run.

I have no idea what is going through Hoodie's mind these days.  I've said this before, but he wanted to move on from Brady to Garoppolo after they lost to the Eagles.  Kraft overruled him.  The prevailing theory from a lot of Pats fans, and I buy, was he then realized there would be no "smooth transition" to keep the dynasty alive.  Whether Garoppolo could do that or not doesn't really matter, Hoodie thought it was their last, best chance to do that.  When he got overruled, he realized there was a "hard stop" on the dynasty when Brady left, unless they somehow managed to latch onto his replacement and quick.

So, he has a huge "I told you this would happen" hanging over Kraft if things get tense.  The irony is nobody got what they wanted.  Certainly not Hoodie.  Kraft wanted Brady to retire as a Pat, and that didn't happen.  Brady wanted to continue to be "the man" in NE, and that didn't happen. 

My guess is Hoodie is going to rebuild "his way."  I'm just not sure his way, which worked in 2000, has any juice left in 2020.  He's a great coach, beyond that is very much in front of the jury.

39 minutes ago, Varking said:

it was making me lol when that shitty announcer crew was saying "the jets are running single high and daring cam to beat them" like it couldn't be that they were daring the worst collection of pass catchers in the league to beat them before pressure got home

39 minutes ago, raz said:

That is so fuging pitiful. Pro Bowl is an extremely low bar to clear now too with how few players choose to play in it, so it's really like twice as many players who are Pro Bowlers than there should be each year. Granted, Belichick the coach has been good enough to make up for those drafting deficiencies, and his FA signings and cap management are generally pretty good. But, that drafting is just so unbelievably bad lol. 

It was the Jets guys... A whole lot of overreaction in this thread. 

Cam has looked good in 2 games this year - and those two games were against two of the worst pass defenses in the league - The Jets (29th) and the Seahawks (32nd and on pace to be the worst pass defense of all time).

I'm still interested in seeing if his shoulder looses zip as the season goes on. He got a nice mini break, so he still looks fresh. 

Either way, I'm still not sold on him being 100% back after narrowly squeaking out a win against the worst team in the NFL.

Archived