• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sunday night thread

FeelTheBurns53

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• PMH4OWPW7JD2TDGWZKTOYL2T3E.jpg

• Topics

• Initially, I wanted Stroud but I thought the trade up meant that, whoever they chose, it was for a reason.  There was no pressure to do anything for the entire scouting team to do other than investigate every aspect of the top 3 candidates.  Stroud had his question marks, and I think it is possible that he falters this year.  Bryce had a much worse situation here in Carolina because we neglected the OL, traded our #1 WR, did not pick WRs well in the draft, traded our pro bowl RB, and seem to disregard the TE position altogether.  Bozeman was not a good fit and we relied on an improved OL in 2022 to suggest that we were set there when we were far from it.  Fitterer had no vision, no grasp of talent, and everyone in the front office and on the coaching staff were pretending to be gurus.  Our coaching staff was a group of men earning a lifetime achievement paycheck.  It all goes back to the years of neglect for the OL.  My theory?  If Stroud had come to Carolina, he would be as mocked and ridiculed as Bryce Young.   No, he does not have a cannon.  Chad Pennington was a weak-armed QB who had success and would have been even better if it were not for injuries.  Smarts is important at QB, and so are mechanics.  Before you can address Young's mechanics, he needs an OL, Running game, and weapons. We were not really able to run play action from under center for a few reasons--play action is not effective when you have to pass the ball--other than that, the QB must turn his back to the LOS for about 1.5 seconds.  When the QB has less than 2.5 seconds to pass the ball, that eliminates that part of the play book.  Heck, even the run option is minimized when there is immediate facial pressure.  SO those who want to talk about happy feet, bouncing, etc--they are symptoms of the problem, not the problem.  A weak arm?  Well, Young's arm is between Chad Pennington and Joe Montana--closer to Joe.  His are is not as weak as some think--but he has issues with the deep ball. When you are reacting to the defense and quickly have to pass, then that takes away the strength because you don't have the base to get power behind it.  I still wish we had taken Stroud, but we have Young and if you toss him out before giving him support, you are not wise, unsmart, not unfoolish, and rather elite in your failure to attain mediocrity.  Expect growth.  How much? Nobody knows.
    • Honestly, irrespective of Bryce, this is my hope for Canales. I hate hearing about him being a "QB whisperer." Because I don't give a rat's ass about him saving Bryce's career. Bryce either proves to be worth what we gave up for him, or it's next man up. I'm just excited to have a young, innovative offensive mind.