• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Talk to me about Trask

Jeremy Igo

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I still need to see him run and do agility drills at the Combine. He has brutal power and tackle breaking ability, I'm just not sold yet on him being much more than Mike Davis at the NFL level unless he shows to be faster and more agile than I expect.

I love him and Carter and I think they'll both make fine pro RBs, but neither will be stars. They both benefitted from the standard defensive gameplan against UNC which was limit Sam Howell, so they faced a crap ton of nickle and dime packages. Then on 3rd and 6, when Howell handed off, they had holes as big as garage doors. Combine that with safeties playing deep to avoid big plays and you've got yourself a couple of RBs with 8-9 ypc averages. They are definitely talented and I've seen both of them make people miss, but Carter isn't CMC or Kamara and Williams isn't quite Marshawn Lynch...though I think he has more upside. I wouldn't mind us adding Williams in the 6th, but I imagine someone will pick him before that. He would be an upgrade over Davis for less money, though Davis has exceeded expectations. 

17 hours ago, nctarheelreincarnated said:

Yeah, but all offenses are the way the Big 12 is. Big 12 couldn’t recruit well enough for defense. Duh. 

It wasn't about recruiting. You telling me that Texas and Oklahoma can't recruit well enough? That isn't what the recruiting rankings say.

The league just tended to favor high flying offenses. And it isn't like they haven't had top tier defenses. TCU, Baylor, etc. They have had them from time to time.

10 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Wow, Kyle Trask is out playing all those guys with his "average" arm. How does that happen? Especially when Fields is surrounded by more elite talent?

Nobody wants to look at the obvious....Trask is a better college QB than all but maybe one of those guys. The hype train is a foolish thing that often gets ignored when it's time to put the money down come combine evaluation time.

Be prepared for the probable Heisman trophy winner to get the credit he deserves. He's bigger AND better. Stats don't lie nor does the scale and measuring tape.

Congrats to the Gators. They've produced the 2nd best QB in the country, (or 1st)by the numbers.

College football ≠ NFL football

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It wasn't about recruiting. You telling me that Texas and Oklahoma can't recruit well enough? That isn't what the recruiting rankings say.

The league just tended to favor high flying offenses. And it isn't like they haven't had top tier defenses. TCU, Baylor, etc. They have had them from time to time.

On defense for OU it was about scheme for the most part. Mike Stoops was horrific as a coach, and Bob didn’t fire him because it was his brother. poo. Old coach that used to be there in Venebeles still struggles vs uptempo offenses that have talent on them. 

16 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He has below average athleticism and mobility. His arm is average. Hi throwing motion is slow. I don't care what some YouTube said about his release speed, the overall motion is not quick.

He's a great college QB. Maybe he can make the transition. But there's a reason why the slam dunk Heisman candidate isn't considered a top 4 NFL QB prospect this year by practically anyone.

Yeah, because it's one of the best QB classes in recent memory that's why.

6 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

College football ≠ NFL football

Like I've said, we're all grading them at the college level. So far mine is beasting on yours.

As far as NFL, Kyle Trasks discipline and his measurables for HIS position are off the charts when compared to your guys.

He has great mechanics already. He will simply refine that. Big boy like Trevor. Country strong, NFL ready.

AND he hasn't had shoulder surgery already.

16 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Riddle me this. Why is he not a top 4 QB prospect? I've given my opinion on why that is. Obviously you disagree, so what is it? Why is the slam dunk Heisman candidate who is putting up video game numbers not a top 4 QB prospect and is likely a borderline 1st round pick? I mean, if he had all the tools with his numbers he'd be a lock to go in the top 5.

Mahomes is the worst comp I've ever heard. Literally no one doubted his physical tools. They didn't like the offense he came out of and questioned his absolute to translate due to that. He still went in the top half of the 1st. No one expected Trask to go that high.

Chicago and Pittsburgh want Trask. Do some research.

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Him being considered a borderline 1st rounder isn't really impacted by the strength of the class. There's always plenty of need in the league at the QB position.

At @13 Chicago would draft him as THEIR #1 pick.

They're all somebody's #1 pick.

17 hours ago, Varking said:

He has an average NFL arm. This is referencing his velocity. He throws a ball with the same velocity of a Will Grier. Does Kyle Trask absolutely dominate throwing the football in college? 100%. Is he my favorite Gator thrower of the football since Leak? Absolutely. That being said, his lack of great velocity is a concern. Throws he makes now potentially get run down by better speed Corners. 

Tony and Pitts outrun and out fool defenders, giving Trask more wiggle room. I love Kyle Trask. Great leader. Great kid. Elite college season. There are times the only way to complete a pass in traffic is to zip a ball in there and he lacks that type of zip. 

The other physical trait they are talking about is speed. Being a power runner in college is nice but at the pros his speed is a negative. He isnt going to outrun people and he isn’t going to generate enough speed to bull people over. If Kyle Trask is going to succeed in the pros he needs to be in a west coast offense that gets the ball out quick and let’s the playmakers make plays. He may never be able to carry a team with his arm alone. And while I love the kid, we already are frustrated with a QB in Carolina who completes a lot of quick passes but doesn’t have the arm to scare teams deep. I hope Trask goes to Pitt.

I appreciate you and everyone else who recognizes how difficult it is to set aside school bias and just be honest about a player on your team who is having a season for the ages. I believe this is the top of Trasks football career. And that’s perfectly fine. In an era where kids no longer wait to play or wait to outwork the current starters, Trask gets bonus points for never transferring like everyone else. But those things that endear you to him don’t make him a better pro prospect. 

@rippadonn I respect your take and I’m glad you’ve found a guy to back wholly. I 100% would love it if Trask were able to continue this as a pro. The kid is easy to like and guys have no issue playing for him. Not many kids work harder. 

I just think, from a Carolina Panther standpoint, or even a top ten pick in the draft standpoint, the QB you are drafting has to have great to elite tools. Fields, Lance and Wilson all have great completion percents, great TD to INTs, but they all also have better arms and far better mobility than Trask. 

If you are building around a guy you want one with tools and our roster needs to be built. If we were a QB away and had all the other pieces to make a deep playoff run I’d totally support us taking Trask in the first. It’s just too much of an ask to grab him in the top 10 when these other three are going to have at least one of them at our spot. 

Im not a fan of Lance but I 100% understand why many would love to draft him. I would love to snag either Fields or Wilson with our pick. I’m sold on both of them. 

I don't have anything against Lance.

Wilson has already had shoulder surgery. That's nonsense at #4.

If anybody including Chicago or Pittsburgh want him why do you sense an inferiority with Kyle. Singlelly as a prospect TO ME he is a very good NFL prospect beyond the history of the Gators.

I'd put Kyle and Lance as NFL ready at 3a3b. I don't have any biases. I looked at who was there, weeks ago and looked at being a QB, just a QB.

Archived