• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: Taylor Moton not likely to return next year, Curtis Samuel might also leave

TheSpecialJuan

18 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Letting Moton walk is the right move 

Explain to me why it's the right move. I've got a couple of ideas why, but let me in on what the big picture here is because I am still seeing him as the better option than trying to grab a RT and LT in the same year.

Just now, thefuzz said:

Will or Should?

I thought it was clear that I was highlighting that Person still writes some op-ed (opinion) pieces for The Athletic.  Which is precisely what some people are wondering in here....whether his article is simply a speculative piece based on his own opinion, or whether it's something he's hearing from insider sources.

I don't know about you, but the word "Should" denotes to me that this was, indeed, an opinion piece. 

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

Explain to me why it's the right move. I've got a couple of ideas why, but let me in on what the big picture here is because I am still seeing him as the better option than trying to grab a RT and LT in the same year.

Look who you're quoting.

10 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

When you see a real talent evaluator stare in disbelief.....

That was absolutely painful.  F Marty.

Cody Ford has been pretty bad too...are we praising the Bills' talent evaluation because he was slightly less bad than Little?  Seems weird, but if that's your bar for talent evaluation ("slightly less bad than the other guy"), then okay I guess.  Little was obviously a worse pick all things considered, since we traded up for him...but Ford was the guy they were targeting all along so that doesn't exactly seem like great talent evaluation.

Btw you guys sensationalize the hell out of that Bills' draft room clip lol.  I think two guys high-fived in the background when we took Little and then they collectively cheered once their pick was officially announced, which is pretty standard in any draft room after 1st/2nd round picks are made (the rejoicing/catharsis that comes from thousands of hours of scouting to finally culminate in the official selection of your draft pick).  I finally got around to watching that clip because I hear it talked about so much in here as a damning indictment, but the way you guys dramatize it, I really thought people in there were facepalming after our selection and that perhaps there was an audible recording of someone muttering "We can always count on that idiot Hurney".  Did I watch the wrong clip?  Am I honestly missing something?

Everyone acts like losing Moton is a done deal. With the cap contracting it is just as likely there won't be big contracts floating around and folks will do a one or two year deal and bet on themselves once we get beyond Covid.  Plus there will be plenty of veteran linemen looking for teams as they get dumped due to salary cap issues. We could keep him or replace him but it isn't clear what we will do yet.  I don't think it will be bad either way 

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

There's a difference between customer retention vs. acquisition.  You seem to be describing how to retain subscriptions - surely you still need attention-grabbing headlines to entice new customers to subscribe, no?  How do you get people to subscribe when they don't click on your article to begin with?

Title grabs your attention -> article, however, is inaccessible behind a paywall -> you decide "Damn, I really want to read this and see where it goes" -> !Subscribe

I would also question your claim that these articles have to be "accurate" (i.e. factual) - does he not still write some op-ed pieces on The Athletic?  That's simply all people are questioning - whether this is truly factual "reporting" or if it's more of a speculative/op-ed piece.  I just did a google search to pull up some of his articles and here's one headline from a couple weeks ago:

Obtaining subscribers by tricking them with clickbait titles is a terrible business model and one I know The Athletic doesn't use

If Spotrac’s projection of a four-year, $65m+ deal for Moton is accurate, the Panthers need to be willing to walk away – as good as Moton is, the tape just doesn’t support the idea of him being a top-5 NFL tackle, which is the ballpark that type of contract would suggest.

Not to mention the questions about what will happen with the salary cap in 2021 after the NFL produced much less revenue than was expected during the current season.

Moton returning to Carolina shouldn’t be dismissed, as there is always a chance that the market is much cooler on Moton than projections, which are a fairly inexact field, would indicate – but if the choice is resigning Moton or bringing back Curtis Samuel, John Miller, Rasul Douglas, Corn Elder and Efe Obada, the latter collection of players are likely to move the needle far more than a good right tackle – even a very good one. 

5 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Based on the results since Rhule got here. Why look back a decade to see where we are headed. New owner, new coaches, new attitude. That is what I am basing it on. 

What results are we leaning on there? Outside of Robby Anderson the rest of our FA moves don't look great.

That's my concern with Rhule and company if he has a lot of roster input. There's very little NFL experience on that staff. There's a reason good young OTs rarely hit the market. Those guys are hard to find. Young OTs with talent that other teams have given up on get big money in FA because of how hard they are to find.

Archived