• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

GM Candidate Profiles

Mr. Scot

I won't be surprised if Tepper hires someone who is completely off the radar and has a real deep SABRmetrics type expertise in football...

...clearly an "analytics" bent is a prerequisite to being considered for the position.

Does the guy in Pittsburgh bring that to the table?

23 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Tony Pauline is hearing that Giants will part with Dave at the end of the season so for their to be 6 GM spots open it’s gonna be a fight.

Jonathan Jones said he's heard just the opposite. Mentioned it in his article listing NFL GM candidates, along with a few others.

League scuttlebutt is that Chicago will eventually fire GM Ryan Pace after six years in large part due to his failure to figure out the quarterback position. Howie Roseman (Eagles), Tom Telesco (Chargers), Dave Gettleman (Giants) and John Elway (Broncos) are viewed as safe according to people I've spoken to.

13 minutes ago, Dilla said:

Surprised Ryan Cowden has not been thrown around.

Ryan Cowden, Trent Kirchner, Dan Morgan and others have Panther connections, but those connections predate David Tepper and Matt Rhule.

If Marty had stuck around and been allowed to choose his successor, those are names you could probably have expected to see. But since Marty was fired and our current head honchos don't really know any of those guys except by reputation, those connections aren't as strong as they might have been.

I have ONLY focused on Ireland at this point, but I found these two articles---one asking Rhule what he is looking for, and the other about the Ireland skill set/fit in New Orleans.  It is a match, if you ask me. 

About Ireland:

""I think he is really good at making sure that our scouts understand exactly what our coaches are looking for," general manager Mickey Loomis said. "He is really good at understanding that each player's skills, that’s not the end of the evaluation. They have a skill set, and what’s the vision for that skill set with our team, based upon what our coaches are looking for?"

https://www.nola.com/article_098be638-8cae-53b7-bc6c-97a8bc3cef9d.html

About Rhule:

“To me, I think we want an organization that’s aligned. We want an organization that has the same vision. But we don’t want an organization that all has the same ideas. We want people that are willing to argue, fight, scratch and claw, but everyone is working together.. I want someone who’s great at building a roster, great at finding talent, and believes in what I believe in and wants to do it together...Rhule can focus on coaching the team while the front office looks to match the personnel on the field to the scheme and desires of the coaching staff. But in the end it’s still Rhule’s vision...”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/22/matt-rhule-wants-someone-to-share-vision-and-challenge-ideas-as-next-g-m/

NOTE:  I find it very interesting that Loomis describes a "vision for the skill set"/ Most think of the vision in broader terms.

Kwefi Adopho-Mensah is a name I heard Jonathan Jones mention. He is the VP of football operations under Andrew Berry in Cleveland.  I know we wanted to interview Berry but were denied at the time as Hurney was here. Anyway,  Mensah fits the analytics mold that Tepper could be looking for. He was previously in San Francisco prior to joining Berry in Cleveland.

40 minutes ago, Pazhoosier89 said:

Kwefi Adopho-Mensah is a name I heard Jonathan Jones mention. He is the VP of football operations under Andrew Berry in Cleveland.  I know we wanted to interview Berry but were denied at the time as Hurney was here. Anyway,  Mensah fits the analytics mold that Tepper could be looking for. He was previously in San Francisco prior to joining Berry in Cleveland.

Heard that interview, and it's possible his name could emerge but in context it was more just dot connecting, i.e. "David Tepper likes analytics, so here's the name of a guy who does analytics".

So far, the only names I've heard that have a more concrete connection are ireland, Peters and Pat Stewart. Joe Person did say that Matt Rhule knows Ed Dodds "in league circles" but that was kind of vague.

I definitely expect more names to emerge, but right now it's all very speculative.

Couple quick hits...

Word is that through the end of the season, all personnel decisions will be made by Matt Rhule, Pat Stewart and Samir Suleiman. Rhule gets the final say.

Also of note, Joe Person mentioned that Pats personnel guy Nick Caserio has connections in the Panthers front office. I'm guessing he was talking about Pat Stewart when he said that, but I'll check to see if there are others.

My opinion: Caserio doesn't seem as likely a candidate to me because as far as I know, he has no connection to Matt Rhule. Ditto Brandon Hunt of the Steelers, but David Tepper does love the Steelers and the Patriots so ya never know.

Archived