• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Two Schools of Thought

DaveThePanther2008

28 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The question is not whether we need a QB to groom but do we have to settle for the third best QB at 3 or can we get the best guy in the draft not at QB and maybe a guy like Trask to develop down the draft. Will the 4th or 5th best QB be so much better than the 6th or 7th rated guy QB ? Reminds me of the guys who wanted Simmons in the first. Instead we got Brown and then got Chinn in the second. This time get a top left tackle in the first and get a 6th ranked QB in the second.  Versus getting the third or 4th best QB in the first and the 8th ranked tackle in the second.

You do realize you are making far too much sense.  You are talking about assessing overall value against our positions of need.  That will not be tolerated here.

17 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

He slid. But let me ask you this. When was the last time we've had a covid year on college football? You dont think there will be a little extra riding on the combine given the shortened seasons, players opting out of the season, travel restrictions affecting scouts and etc. I would think the combine would be more important for prospects then any other season in history this year.

Rosen barely slid, if slid at all, and really that's most always how it happens!

Covid has played it's part, especially in the cancellation of Lance's season which affects his evaluation, but the Combine is still not going to trump tape or private workouts for a prospect of his caliber.

From what I've gathered over the years, the Combine is facetiously called the Underwear Olympics for a reason. And, the fact is, the stock that fans put into it regarding valuation and evaluation of players rarely effectively matches that of the scouts. We're generally all over the place, but scouts are a little more on one accord to varying degrees about the top prospects. 

47 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

If the #3 qb in wilson can be as good as herbert you run to the podium.

That is the rub really. Is Wilson the guy you have to have at 5 let's say or could you get the tackle we covet and get a guy like Trask or Mac Jones both from top 10 programs but may be ranked the 7th or 8th best guy at the top of the second.  I am not sure there is a big drop there.

17 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

That is the rub really. Is Wilson the guy you have to have at 5 let's say or could you get the tackle we covet and get a guy like Trask or Mac Jones both from top 10 programs but may be ranked the 7th or 8th best guy at the top of the second.  I am not sure there is a big drop there.

Trask maybe, mac jones no. 

It all depends on how the draft falls, most of us will be livid if we do not draft someone to replace Teddy at some point in the near future.

Way too much is made out of where a guy is perceived to be ranked in his draft class. There are strong drafts and weak drafts. Strong positional drafts and weak positional drafts. The #3 or #4 QB in some years could be the #1 QB in other years. Same for every other position. Then there's the reality that grades are going to vary by team due to their evaluations and specifically what they're looking for in a player at that position.

1 hour ago, PootieNunu said:

Trask maybe, mac jones no. 

It all depends on how the draft falls, most of us will be livid if we do not draft someone to replace Teddy at some point in the near future.

It is always a good idea to groom someone who is on a rookie contract. Everyone hoped that Teddy would have played better than he did but we knew it was to install the Brady scheme and teach it to everyone with a guy who was plug and play. Unfortunately he has some flaws that would take serious work to fix. But we have to up the competition and get someone who can be our franchise guy. If not him then someone else.

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

Rosen barely slid, if slid at all, and really that's most always how it happens!

Covid has played it's part, especially in the cancellation of Lance's season which affects his evaluation, but the Combine is still not going to trump tape or private workouts for a prospect of his caliber.

From what I've gathered over the years, the Combine is facetiously called the Underwear Olympics for a reason. And, the fact is, the stock that fans put into it regarding valuation and evaluation of players rarely effectively matches that of the scouts. We're generally all over the place, but scouts are a little more on one accord to varying degrees about the top prospects. 

What realistically can you draw from Lance's tape outside of his athleticism? He ran an offense with a bunch of designed runs and some bombs. The tape is limited. What's curious about this is it wasnt a running offense when Wentz was there.

Im not saying Lance wont blow it up, but his decision not to play really puy more importance on the combine.

1 hour ago, TheMaulClaw said:

What realistically can you draw from Lance's tape outside of his athleticism? He ran an offense with a bunch of designed runs and some bombs. The tape is limited. What's curious about this is it wasnt a running offense when Wentz was there.

Im not saying Lance wont blow it up, but his decision not to play really puy more importance on the combine.

Why do you keep saying that he decided not to play? Didn't the school shut it down?

The limitations of the tape will be judged by the experts.

Of course they didn't run the same offense when Wentz was there. The ability of a QB to run and pass like Lance is outstanding. Don't get me wrong, he is still raw, but what he did in a season was still extraordinary, and that's the only reason that he is a highly ranked 2021 prospect! 

Lastly, he ran a pro style offense.

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

Why do you keep saying that he decided not to play? Didn't the school shut it down?

The limitations of the tape will be judged by the experts.

Of course they didn't run the same offense when Wentz was there. The ability of a QB to run and pass like Lance is outstanding. Don't get me wrong, he is still raw, but what he did in a season was still extraordinary, and that's the only reason that he is a highly ranked 2021 prospect! 

Lastly, he ran a pro style offense.

I get...he's your guy and he may he the next great one...but he still needs a good combine.

Also if you have a qb who can put the ball on the money and can make every throw in college then the coach normally showcases that.

Archived