• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At 9, The Carolina Panthers Will Select

jfra78

24 minutes ago, Panther Believer said:

Phillip Rivers is not a God send lol especially this late in his career. They had the #1 defense for most of the season, and he was a big contributor to that. Like I said if Zack Wilson is there pull the trigger tho.

I said competent. See previous years of QB play and you will see why I said that. That defense was mostly in place before that, as was the OL. It was a team built to win with Andrew Luck hitting his prime, but he retired. Rivers is finally giving them competent play since Luck retired.

We were ready to select Herbert, so that tells you something. Factor in Teppers comments about having that QB who can get you into the playoffs, or you need to keep evaluating the position. We missed the playoffs by a lot, and Teddy doesn't look like he can elevate us to winning the SB one day. Teddy is maxed out as a decent game manager, but that just gets you 8-8ish. I think we'll take a QB even though we dropped in the draft. I'd like Trey Lance at our pick. Some draft pundits are dropping Lance, but that's just because they have to swap things up to keep people reading. They don't have any new tape on Lance and there has been no new bad news about him, so they're just mixing things up.

I'd be fine with Parsons if we actually use him as a pass rusher. He committed to Penn State as an edge rusher and has some moves. Everyone compares him to Luke, but he'd be best if he spent less time in coverage and more time getting after the passer. Burns, Brown, and YGM on the line and Parsons blitzing from all over would be a lot of fun. 

Hard pass if they're going to use him like a traditional off-ball linebacker, though.

Under no circumstances do I want a LB taken at 9ish. I'd rather role with the doopy Whitehead for cheap than spend a top ten pick on a LB. Parsons pass defense is ordinary at best, and we can use our current LBs to tackle the RB. No LBs in the top 10. Never again. The is a passing league, and tackling the RB can be done by any decent LB. I will toss my remote if we take a LB in the top ten.

1 hour ago, pantherj said:

Under no circumstances do I want a LB taken at 9ish. I'd rather role with the doopy Whitehead for cheap than spend a top ten pick on a LB. Parsons pass defense is ordinary at best, and we can use our current LBs to tackle the RB. No LBs in the top 10. Never again. The is a passing league, and tackling the RB can be done by any decent LB. I will toss my remote if we take a LB in the top ten.

Our one time selecting a LB in the Top 10 was...Luke Kuechly. I’m not saying I do want a LB in the Top 10, but our track record of 1 for 1 future first ballot HOF LBs with a Top 10 pick is as good as it gets. Doesn’t really warrant this “NEVER AGAIN!!” mentality like it was some disaster.

8 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I don't agree.

We need a QB. LBers are the RBs of the defense. Great to have but you aren't going to win a super bowl with one and no QB. 

We had Luke for 8 years and he was amazing. Last year he was still great but we saw how little of an impact he actually had on the overall defense. 

QB should be priorities 1,2, and 3. LB should be priority 6 or 7 behind OL, CB, and TE. 

you missed my point. my point is you do not draft a QB just because you need one or you end up with a Rosen, Haskin, D. Jones. 

1 minute ago, MasterAwesome said:

Our one time selecting a LB in the Top 10 was...Luke Kuechly. I’m not saying I do want a LB in the Top 10, but our track record of 1 for 1 future first ballot HOF LBs with a Top 10 pick is as good as it gets. Doesn’t really warrant this “NEVER AGAIN!!” mentality like it was some disaster.

I don't like using past Panthers history to plan for the future. Having said that let's look into the past. Luke, our best LB ever, had to retire early due to brain injury. Our second best LB, Dan Morgan, had to retire early due to brain injury. Our third best LB, Thomas Davis, missed two seasons due to leg injury. Our 4th best LB, Jon Beason, became a shadow of his former self due to leg injuries and wound up NY. Set aside injury. Building up and top quality LB corps is a waste of resources that should be spent on passing the ball.

Did two mocks: One I went QB and the other non-QB

NO QB

9. Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech

41. Josh Myers, IOL, Ohio State

73. Christian Barmore, IDL, Alabama

110. Richie Grant, S, UCF

149. Kenny Yeboah TE, Ole Miss

187. Ali Gaye, EDGE, LSU

216. Olaijah Griffin,CB, USC

230. Whop Philyor, WR, Indiana

QB

9. Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

41. Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Florida State

73. Deonte Brown, IOL, Alabama

110. Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State

149. Jack Anderson, IOL, Texas Tech

187. Chatarius Atwell, WR, Louisville

216. Ali Gaye, EDGE, LSU

230. Trey Sermon, RB, Ohio State

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Defense close to complete? What?

Where are you guys getting this from?

Several anchor type positions would be filled with young, pro-bowl caliber players on team friendly deals. Brown, Burns, Chinn, Parsons, Thompson, YGM, DJax are all either pro-bowl type players or at the very least very good starters for the next 3-4 years. Add more? Sure. But those are players at every level of the field who are potential game changers. I think you can find guys to plug in elsewhere to round out the D. But yeah...I think that’d be pretty close.

36 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Several anchor type positions would be filled with young, pro-bowl caliber players on team friendly deals. Brown, Burns, Chinn, Parsons, Thompson, YGM, DJax are all either pro-bowl type players or at the very least very good starters for the next 3-4 years. Add more? Sure. But those are players at every level of the field who are potential game changers. I think you can find guys to plug in elsewhere to round out the D. But yeah...I think that’d be pretty close.

You have a mixture of extremely young guys, unproven guys, a couple of budding elite players and an underwhelming veteran. Of the list you have(not including a guy that isn't on our team), about half of those guys could just as easily be starting next year as they are finding themselves passed on the depth chart. 

We have some pretty good pieces we can build on but the jump to "a couple of pieces away from a Super Bowl?" That is literally crazy talk. 

Archived