• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How would Smitty do in a WCO?

PhillyB

If there's a regime change and the new HC or OC brings in a west coast offensive philosophy (and quarterback with the matching skillsets, as as Fox departure would almost certainly entail a Delhomme departure) how would Steve Smith do? Would he thrive in the system? Would he be a disappointment?

I think he would do extremely well. His best attribute is his ability to make things happen after the catch. Hit him for 10-ish short/medium routes a game, and he'll be taking at least one to the house every game.

That said, he works perfectly in a play-action, run-first offense as well. Just need a QB capable of keeping defenses honest.

I honestly believe smitty has not lost any speed from '05. It's the fact that he has to adjust to every ball thrown his way, and most are uncatchable. The only ball that has hit him in stride that i've seen in the last two years went for a touchdown(last week against the cardinals).

With that said, I think smitty would thrive in that type of system. Think about it, a two headed rushing game, deangelos elusiveness in space, and rosario/barnide roles significantly increasing in the offense would make smith get open much easily. He still has the speed, he just needs more opportunities than 2-3 smoke routes, and a badly thrown deep pass every game.

5 years ago great, he's 30 now, and slowing down some, not as great as he could have been in it.

Actually I think the opposite since the WCO is more suited for WR's that can generate alot of YAC, but lack top speed. Since Steve's on the downside of his abilities he would be suited best.

Honestly, I think he'd be better at it now than early in his career when his route running wasn't so good.

With that said, I don't want the West Coast Offense back in Carolina, ever :nonod:

A lot of people are calling for Gruden as a HC in carolina... he's a WCO guy, right?

Honestly, I think he'd be better at it now than early in his career when his route running wasn't so good.

With that said, I don't want the West Coast Offense back in Carolina, ever :nonod:

That 1-15 season really dose make you hate it. Still if it is used right its a great system.

I don't want Gruden (or any other West Coast coach for that matter).

The only one I would except would be Mike Shanahan. I think the Heavy run based WCO would work. IDK about the others.

Archived