• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nice Read on the Panthers QB situation and the draft

ncfan

6 minutes ago, BrianS said:

There are 32 starting QB's in the NFL.  None of them from FCS schools.

There are 32 backup QB's in the NFL.  None of are from FCS schools.

I'm not saying Lance will fail, but I am saying that the odds are against him.  So much of his game is based around him simply being a better athlete than those around him.  That won't be true any longer.  If he were Cam Newton, he'd be playing FBS football.

I'm not anti-Lance, and if we draft him I'll of course root for him, but I am *extremely* dubious of how he will translate.

Carson Wentz, and  Garoppolo are FCS quarterbacks starting when healthy. I  believe Cam Newton played junior college ball a league below FBS one year. So I don't think the league they play in determines their potential.and worth. They are simply great athletes and like Chinn showed, athleticism and brains and desire can make up for a  lack of big time competition experience. 

33 minutes ago, BrianS said:

There are 32 starting QB's in the NFL.  None of them from FCS schools.

There are 32 backup QB's in the NFL.  None of are from FCS schools.

I'm not saying Lance will fail, but I am saying that the odds are against him.  So much of his game is based around him simply being a better athlete than those around him.  That won't be true any longer.  If he were Cam Newton, he'd be playing FBS football.

I'm not anti-Lance, and if we draft him I'll of course root for him, but I am *extremely* dubious of how he will translate.

Wentz was dam near a MVP candidate before injuries hit.

And Wyoming is pretty much FCS, and Josh Allen is in MVP race this year

43 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

So could these guys be good in a QB friendly system? I think guys bomb out because the system doesn't match their skills. You have to bring young guys along and maximize their current skill set while developing them into more of a complete QB as they gain experience and can make all the throws and understand the game.

But what is most critical to me are the combine interviews. That is when coaches can find out about their heart and head which for a QB is critically important. 

Absolutely system is key. Guess we have to trust Rhule on evaluation of that selection. I liked the way TB threw the ball 90% of the time...refreshing to see the ball delivered accurate and on time for a change.  That other 10% was the difference between 5 wins and 10. I think people are setting themselves up for a disappointment if you draft a QB in the first round and you think he will be starting next year... especially if you dont address the line...wouldnt be fair to that young man.

This just supports the notion that picking a QB in the first round just makes too much sense. Tepper has invested a lot in Rhule but Rhule doesn't have an unlimited amount of time to turn this around. Results are expected in years 2 and 3 for Rhule. If he sticks with TB and we remain mediocre with 5-8 win seasons without playoffs, Tepper's patience will run out. If Rhule is smart, he is not going to wait until year 3 or 4 to draft a rookie QB and coach him up, get your QB now and grow together or get fired in a few years. Even if we have to trade next year's first to move up and draft our franchise QB, that's fine. Texans weren't mad about trading up for Watson, neither were the Chiefs. Heck Cardinals drafted Murray after drafting Rosen the year before, that's two first round picks essentially. Falcons also made a massive trade for Julio and he wasn't even a QB. 

1 hour ago, PanthersATL said:

Aaron Rodgers was picked 24th in the draft.
Russell Wilson was picked 75th.
Tom Brady was the #199 pick

While it can happen, there is proof that a franchise QB doesn't always need to come from an early draft selection.

And some person in some county in NC has hit the lottery at some point.  Doesnt mean im going there and buying a lottery ticket because there's a chance and its happened there before.

The % of that compared is extremely low and rare compared to grabbing 1 in the top 10, yet people love to throw out as the dumb and dumber quote "but your telling me there's a chance!"

20 hours ago, BrianS said:

It's pretty much what a number of folks here have been saying for a while.  Forget about Bridgewater (Ok, the Huddle won't let TB5 die in peace, I get it.).  But seriously, he doesn't matter.

It's the place where we're drafting (pretty high) and the number of QB's who are projecting as very good potential for NFL success.  That's a combination that just doesn't come around often.  We need to take a chance at finding a QB who can be our Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben.  We need a guy who will be here 12-15 years and elevate the team around him.

So we need a late first round pick at QB or even pick one up in the fourth?

Got it.

5 hours ago, ncfan said:

And some person in some county in NC has hit the lottery at some point.  Doesnt mean im going there and buying a lottery ticket because there's a chance and its happened there before.

The % of that compared is extremely low and rare compared to grabbing 1 in the top 10, yet people love to throw out as the dumb and dumber quote "but your telling me there's a chance!"

Well, sure.

Merely pointing out that more than half of the current roster of starting quarterbacks this season have been picked higher than #10 on the draft list, (the majority going in the #24-53 range).  Five were #1 picks, 14 were picked 8th or earlier.  

Just trying to suggest that picking the right draft person has proven to be more the trend moreso than picking the right draft number.

Archived