• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Left Tackle options

AU-panther

1 hour ago, t96 said:

This just isn’t true, @Verge has said numerous times that many scouts thought highly of him as a high ceiling player. He never reached it here partly due to injuries/coaching maybe, and it wound up being a terrible pick for sure. But it’s not like Hurney took a guy that no other team would even draft. He was a highly touted prospect due to his upside.

Verge said we were

But no, not many other scouts if any were high on him.

Dont believe me?  Look at Buffalo's war room when we picked him.

He11 there's a few guys that write for the draftnetwork  who just got out of the scouting for a few teams (alot easier to write about guys from your house than being a road warrior).  And those guys have all mentu9ned their perspective teams had a rd 3 grade on him and that was the word going around many other teams.  

Hurney was just fascinated with him.

18 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Brown is good but I still would rather have beckton wirfs or wills.   

10 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

So would I. Getting a solid LT is so much harder than getting a DT. I had really hoped we would be able to trade down and still get a tackle and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd to fil the plethora of holes we had on our team. 

It will be interesting to look back in a few years.

In reality its not even Brown vs Wirfs, the question will be Brown vs Wirfs + whoever you would have picked in the 2nd or 3rd.

I don't think there's going to be a good option. You focus on resigning Moton and hope some combination of Scott and Daley can fill in until a better long-term solution presents itself, possibly in 2022. I'd offer Okung a modest contract with low guarantees but with how valuable LTs are, thinking we can sign him for vet minimum is a pipe dream. My guess is he'll end up getting something like 2 years, $20 million, and I'd certainly pass at that point. I'd be ok with offering up to 2 years $12 million with minimal cap hit if cut after year 1. Something like $2 million signing bonus, $5 million annual salary with 1st year salary guaranteed; dead cap of $1 million if cut after 1 year. Similar commitment to what Daryl Williams got from us coming off injury.

DRAFT ONE:  LT is deep---only 1 elite T, but there are 10 or so that can develop.

I say re-sign Scott to a vet min deal and play him while the rookie is learning the ropes.

For example Walker Little has not played in 2 years (injury, sat out) and he should be there in round 2.   Other future starting LTs could fall that far as well.  All of these would be an upgrade. 

Bring in a TE who can help and catch passes...

43 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

In reality its not even Brown vs Wirfs, the question will be Brown vs Wirfs + whoever you would have picked in the 2nd or 3rd.

I doubt there was much of a market for the 7th pick. Usually teams trade up into the top 10 for a qb; otherwise it's not usually worth the investment. Since Herbert went at 6, there weren't any qbs left worth trading up for. I don't see any teams in the spots where we could have taken Wirfs giving up much to go to 7. Too many talented players available in the 10-14 range. Realistically, maybe Atlanta trades up for CJ Henderson and gives us their 1st and 2nd. All the OTs are gone by 16. Better argument is whether we should've just drafted one of OTs at 7 and it's a valid question. DT was a bigger immediate need but OT was probably the wiser long-term option.

Anyhow, who knows what was possible without being in the draft room. But to say we could have gotten Wirfs + an extra 2nd, I think that's incredibly unlikely.

57 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Verge said we were

But no, not many other scouts if any were high on him.

Dont believe me?  Look at Buffalo's war room when we picked him.

He11 there's a few guys that write for the draftnetwork  who just got out of the scouting for a few teams (alot easier to write about guys from your house than being a road warrior).  And those guys have all mentu9ned their perspective teams had a rd 3 grade on him and that was the word going around many other teams.  

Hurney was just fascinated with him.

No, Verge said other teams were high on him too, including Verge’s source who works for another team, not the Panthers.

3 hours ago, Zod said:

We really skrewed the pooch with the Greg Little selection. Literally every scout knew he was terrible but Hurney went with his gut.

Yea we did and people had to have Brown last year instead of picking a good LT or RT and moving Morton to LT last year.  They kept believing Marty's lies how Little was a cheap steal cause he was a 1st round pick and we got him in the 2nd round and only needed a year to get better.  Same issues showed up last year as his rookie year.  Must be bad when Little is healthy Rhule wouldn't dress him. 

13 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

DRAFT ONE:  LT is deep---only 1 elite T, but there are 10 or so that can develop.

I say re-sign Scott to a vet min deal and play him while the rookie is learning the ropes.

For example Walker Little has not played in 2 years (injury, sat out) and he should be there in round 2.   Other future starting LTs could fall that far as well.  All of these would be an upgrade. 

Bring in a TE who can help and catch passes...

There isn't 10 that develop, if it was that easy everyone would have a good LT.

You might get lucky and have 2 that turn out average or better.  In reality very few of them would be an actual upgrade.

People severely overstate the talent coming into the league each year in the draft.

16 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

I doubt there was much of a market for the 7th pick. Usually teams trade up into the top 10 for a qb; otherwise it's not usually worth the investment. Since Herbert went at 6, there weren't any qbs left worth trading up for. I don't see any teams in the spots where we could have taken Wirfs giving up much to go to 7. Too many talented players available in the 10-14 range. Realistically, maybe Atlanta trades up for CJ Henderson and gives us their 1st and 2nd. All the OTs are gone by 16. Better argument is whether we should've just drafted one of OTs at 7 and it's a valid question. DT was a bigger immediate need but OT was probably the wiser long-term option.

Anyhow, who knows what was possible without being in the draft room. But to say we could have gotten Wirfs + an extra 2nd, I think that's incredibly unlikely.

It goes both ways, without being in the draft room you can't say we would or wouldn't have.

Personally I would have been surprised if we had zero interest from teams to move up.

Didn't some reports say that some of the staff wanted to move down, but Hurney wanted to stay put? that makes it sound like it was an option.

Just now, AU-panther said:

It goes both ways, without being in the draft room you can't say we would or wouldn't have.

Personally I would have been surprised if we had zero interest from teams to move up.

Didn't some reports say that some of the staff wanted to move down, but Hurney wanted to stay put? that makes it sound like it was an option.

No doubt. We also don't know what was being offered. I think teams are constantly on the phone trying to get the better end of draft day trades. Do you go from 7 to 10 for an extra 4th rounder? Or as in my previous example, did Atlanta offer their 1st and 2nd to go up to 7 and Rhule was game but Marty wasn't? It's possible those were the kinds of offers on the table. Who knows? My main point was that I can't see where the value was for any team that drafted between 8 and 13 trading up to 7 and giving up an extra 2. A 3rd as you also suggested is probably more realistic but hard to know if even that was available. 

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

Before the draft I had mocked a trade with the Raiders with us sending 7 and our 2nd to Las Vegas for 12, 19 and 2 3rds. That's considered "even" according to trade calculating. However on draft day I would have wanted 12, 19, 2021 2nd and 80, 81 and add our 2021 5th. My picks would have been Wirfs at 12, Ruiz at 19 with YGM being 19B and Gallimore at 80 and Troutman at 81. 

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

I agree that PFF like them, I'm just saying PFF doesn't strike me as Marty's style.

Here is something that MHS831 said

That's the scouting I expect out of Hurney.

Missing on a 2nd round LT doesn't really bother me that bad, fact is most of them don't work out.  I hate we traded up for them, so we basically  missed on two picks.

I'm a firm believer in not trying to fight the draft or history.

History tells us that most LTs are hard to find, really hard after the first round, much easier to find interior lineman later.  If I need a LT I'm going to use a 1st round pick, if you are constantly trying to find that late round gem you often end up not filling either position.

I’m just putting two and two together. That off-season the team (Marty and Tepper I believe) said we were focusing on analytics. PFF was way higher on Little and Grier than anyone else was especially after the combine. Even Scarlett was highlighted multiple times by PFF:

Archived