• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mac Jones

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

looks fine to me

Then you aren't looking carefully enough.  How many of those throws was he forced to REALLY place?  How many times did he have a dirty pocket that could take his eyes?

I'm not saying he can't succeed, I'm just saying that nothing there elevated him.  He was on a dominant team playing from the front.  None of their games were even within one score in the fourth.  You could argue the SEC Championship . . . it ended within one score, but it really wasn't.  You could even argue that in that particular game Jones was the second best QB on the field.  His stats were definitely better, but Trask made more tight throws and did so under greater pressure.

13 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Define 'best deep ball', because that's not really a test of arm talent. 

It's those 15 yard outs where you have to fire the ball in to beat the undercutting CB that are a test of arm talent.

Rainbowing the ball 40+ yards down the field any competent HS QB can do. 

Teddy 2 yards is paid 60 mill and he can’t do that 

Jones made some good throws, in the right system he will succeed 

Rodgers is athletic. Brees is not. 
Jones made some plays with his legs last night and he hit players out of the backfield in stride , showed good improvising on some broken plays.
He might not be able to carry a team but he won’t hamstring one like teddy does   I think he’s better than trask and probably more prepared than some others in question. Lance may have all the tools but when he runs like he does in college expect him to miss quite a few games just ask Cam, eventually hits in the NFL take their toll. 

He could be great, sure...but Alabama can take essentially any average QB and still have a great team with the OL, weapons, and coaching around them.  Mac's job is essentially not to mess up.

Anyone who's done more digging may know, but I'd be interested in how he's been on tight window/"NFL throws" as opposed to throwing to guys who are "Alabama open" and putting up huge stats. 

15 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

And let's be honest. Let's say he does run a 5.0. Do you think 3 tenths of a second matters at the QB position? It isn't like Rodgers is trying to outrun people. It is more important to be able to move in the pocket and avoid getting sacked and Jones did that pretty well when he was pressured and he got the ball out quickly.

Rodgers is a great scrambler behind the line. He isn't a big runner, but his scrambling consists of a lot more than just movement in the pocket.

13 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

His highlights are above.  Had threw screens.  Mid range.  Deep and outs.  Had also had great ball placement and total command of the offense.  I am not advocating taking him at 8 but just saying these hot takes that he sucks is comical.  He has talent.  

I don't think anyone is saying he sucks. I just don't think he's an elite NFL QB prospect and I think he'll most likely end up being a backup at the NFL level.

1 hour ago, Zod said:

I distinctly remember Will Grier being discussed as a first rounder in January amongst talking heads and by some on the Huddle. Just like Jones now is.

You need to find better talking heads to listen to, because I didn’t hear that from the ones I do.

Jones will probably go top 20.  The Pats could be his floor at 16.

1 hour ago, Zod said:

I distinctly remember Will Grier being discussed as a first rounder in January amongst talking heads and by some on the Huddle. Just like Jones now is.

You need to find better talking heads to listen to, because I didn’t hear that from the ones I do.

Jones will probably go top 20.  The Pats could be his floor at 15.

1 hour ago, Zod said:

1 hour ago, Zod said:

1 hour ago, Zod said:

Archived