• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peters is out - GM Search down to 3 candidates

Zod

1 hour ago, Growl said:

sure, fair enough

we dont KNOW yet who will be hired, but there are people who are paid to tell us what the team intends and why

And what it LOOKS like the team is doing is chasing a technically minded, numbers oriented macromanager to head up their hivemind, leaving a gap in the most important function of the office-the production of the on field product-and leaving that responsibility, again, from what has been reported, to either somebody you hate, like Ireland, in a lesser yes-man role, or laying down that responsibility at the feet of the coaching staff-***the same coaching staff who is advocating for the hire to come from a scouting background***-   presumably because our college coach with 1 season as an NFL head coach doesn't feel like he is at the point where he is ready to be the chief manager of personnel decisions-and he's right

sure, maybe all that is offbase and the people who get paid to tell us what is going on aren't in the loop as well as they'd have us believe, totally possible

but there does seem to be a consensus, and there does seem to be arrows, and all those arrows seem to have a direction

toss in the fact that were settling for a lesser candidate to see this vision realized and I think the concern is fair enough

I’m not even talking about who they hire. None of us really know what the plan is and how ALL of the plans are going to work and come together. I could give 2 shits about a name.

I’m talking about results. Which take time. TB is not the future. The entire plan for the team won’t really materialize until the new franchise QB is here and everything is running on all cylinders.

Most likely the 2022 season if we are lucky but 2023 is realistic and onwards. If this franchise is still failing in 2023 I’d say that is when we can grab the pitchforks.

But everyone wants it and wants it now. It isn’t always easy and requires patience to be realistic.

Just wait and see.

5 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Interesting to see Newton still think Peters is still in it

Said earlier my guess is they might not have been able to pry him away from San Francisco even if he was the choice.

I do think he probably is out, but it is fair to note there's no official word on anything and nobody besides Jones has actually suggested this.

The only other really noteworthy thing we've seen is Albert Breer saying to watch Scott Fitterer.

29 minutes ago, gofightwin said:

You know they pick at the end of draft right?  Because their teams are already perennial deep playoff teams.  They are perennial playoff teams because they put the right team out on the field.  Would you rather they win playoff games and Super Bowel or win the draft?  We need someone from a winning program that knows how its done.  Not someone, like Hurney, that drafted countless Pro Bowlers, possible multiple Hall of Famers in the first round, yet can't have a winning season twice in a row...ever.

Fully aware of their usual draft position. The 'Hawks more specifically taking guys like Brooks over Patrick Queen, Penny over Chubb or Ronald Jones. The Pats passing on Kenneth Murray or Queen to trade back and then taking an inferior LB like Uche just as recent examples. 

Nobody has a crystal ball, but sometimes I personally believe you can overthink the draft.

As for building strong programs, I agree with ya 100%. The draft is only one component and there are several disciplines the GM needs to bring to the table in order to make us a perennial contender. I think Tepper wants that much the way Pittsburgh had that year in and year out. 

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

It's not an academic job. 

I've worked with plenty of people with Masters who I don't think are competent enough to walk my dog.

I’m sure the people with masters degrees and work in football that wouldn’t  think it you’re qualified to post on a message board. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and that should be respected.

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Well, at least we can start bitching about the actual choice soon.

We're going to need to start looking at replacing some assistants shortly.

Luckily, the annual assistant coach job fair is coming up. I think they also call it the senior...something.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wonder if it was our decision or his?

If a GM candidate has other options offering full traditional GM control, I can't see us appealing to that candidate with the model we seem to be creating. Sure looks like we're creating the full on Rhule Show and this "GM" is at best going to be a cog in the wheel and at worst be a rubber stamp and paper pusher.

I'm going to tell you right now it's been all the candidate's decisions. I've never seen a team interview this many people. Even with Gettleman, we hired someone to search out who is best and basically went with him. Rhule wants complete control. Now it's reported that Rhule and Tepper want different stuff. Tepper is made of money. This means Rhule, unless we are in playoffs next year, may last just as long as Teddy's contract. This was predicted from the beginning. If Rhule ends up doing GM/Coach duty, he's got two more years. The guy we hire will be a pawn. Tepper sucks and we're only three years in.

Should’ve been Poles but with the ways of teams getting that disrespectful ass comp pick I feel a lot of organizations will avoid hiring away black staff members.  The poo people do to force equality but actually causes less hires and makes things worse than how they originally were. It’s a shame we are like this in the US but thats what “freedom” invokes. 

Archived