• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bieniemy apparently out of the running in Houston

Mr. Scot

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

This is an interesting blurb about it,

If this is true, it would explain a lot. Perhaps he really doesn't have a detailed plan on becoming a head coach or at least isn't able to communicate it clearly in an interview. That would be a problem.

To be fair to him though, it hard to have a plan when you dont know if you're going to have a QB and the previous coach/GM traded away your 1st. What's he supposed to say? I could build you a winner in 3 years but you've been a fuggin idiot of an owner. 

• Flames 1

For my part, I'd probably have taken Bieniemy over Leslie Frazier. Frazier's already been a head coach once and it didn't go that well.

And going back to a prior discussion, I still think Bieniemy's enthusiasm for working with Newton probably hurt his chances here.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I don't blame Eric from dropping out of the HC market overall bc at this point its a shitshow, Houston isn't a great option, and now instead of addressing real issues with black coaches not getting jobs it all reeks of tokenism. Maybe it's better to get another ring in KC and wait til next year. Maybe he doesn't interview well and will learn from all this. But race is definitely a factor. 

Yeah but you cannot summarily discount that maybe he just also isn't "the guy." He is likely to get a head coaching job down the line, so you will get to see if this was the hill to die on or not. 

I don't know personally, but I do find it odd he specifically hasn't been able to break through after being a hot candidate for a couple of offseasons. 

Bienemey has the shortest off-season of any HC candidate this year, last year and is near the shortest off-season for the year before. He runs the most innovative offensive system in the league and between he and Reid they work up multiple new crazy plays for each game.

The guy is prepping for his second Super Bowl in a row and considering the results so far, I'd think that planning for that was a bigger weight on his mind than prepping for an interview. 

Someone is going to see through that and snag him. Probably a team with a head coach retiring rather than a firing. Some team is going to start or continue a dynasty with Eric.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but you cannot summarily discount that maybe he just also isn't "the guy." He is likely to get a head coaching job down the line, so you will get to see if this was the hill to die on or not. 

I don't know personally, but I do find it odd he specifically hasn't been able to break through after being a hot candidate for a couple of offseasons. 

His path does kind of mirror Ron Rivera's on that front.

Who's involved makes a difference too. Take Detroit. One of the guys spearheading their search was Chris Spielman. That probably goes a long way toward explaining how Dan Campbell got the job.

There's also the "who you know" element like with Nick Sirianni. Common belief is that his connection with Frank Reich helped get him that job because Reich was good for Carson Wentz.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

To be fair to him though, it hard to have a plan when you dont know if you're going to have a QB and the previous coach/GM traded away your 1st. What's he supposed to say? I could build you a winner in 3 years but you've been a fuggin idiot of an owner. 

Yeah, but you can still be prepared at an interview when a franchise is in disarray. Hell, it happens every offseason multiple times. It isn't like most of these job openings are for good jobs.

2 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Bienemey has the shortest off-season of any HC candidate this year, last year and is near the shortest off-season for the year before. He runs the most innovative offensive system in the league and between he and Reid they work up multiple new crazy plays for each game.

The guy is prepping for his second Super Bowl in a row and considering the results so far, I'd think that planning for that was a bigger weight on his mind than prepping for an interview. 

Someone is going to see through that and snag him. Probably a team with a head coach retiring rather than a firing. Some team is going to start or continue a dynasty with Eric.

Or maybe he is going to have an early playoff exit one season and actually have the time to prepare properly. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That's fair, just pointing out racism is ultimately the reason we're having this discussion to begin with while others are trying to divorce race completely from that being a factor in the way the nfl operates when that clearly isn't true. But I digress, I'm happy with Matt Rhule currently here. That's most important

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

His path does kind of mirror Ron Rivera's on that front.

Who's involved makes a difference too. Take Detroit. One of the guys spearheading their search was Chris Spielman. That probably goes a long way toward explaining how Dan Campbell got the job.

Yeah and if it is just a matter of him not being accustomed to the head coaching interview process in the NFL, he'll eventually get that figured out. 

As someone mentioned, during his "hot candidate" period, he's also been in two Super Bowls. That does tend to divide one's attention.

Just now, ImaginaryKev said:

That's fair, just pointing out racism is ultimately the reason we're having this discussion to begin with while others are trying to divorce race completely from that being a factor in the way the nfl operates when that clearly isn't true. But I digress, I'm happy with Matt Rhule currently here. That's most important

I don't think race is a factor in this particular instance. That doesn't exclude it from being a factor in other cases.

If only Bienemy could of laid out a detailed plan.   Organizations like detailed, OCD, analytical type guys. 

we’re going to kick you in the teeth, all right, and when you punch us back, we’re going to smile at you and when you knock us down, we’re going to get up, and on the way up, we’re going to bite a knee cap off. And we’re going to stand up and then it’s going to take two more shots to knock us down. And on the way up, we’re going to take your other kneecap, and we’re going to get up and then it’s going to take three shots to get us down. And when we do, we’re going to take another hunk out of you. Before long, we’re going to be the last one standing. That’s going to be the mentality.”

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah and if it is just a matter of him not being accustomed to the head coaching interview process in the NFL, he'll eventually get that figured out. 

As someone mentioned, during his "hot candidate" period, he's also been in two Super Bowls. That does tend to divide one's attention.

Yeah, and although the NFL has taken some steps to correct the problem, it's still true that being successful frequently winds up hurting you.

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I don't blame Eric from dropping out of the HC market overall bc at this point its a shitshow, Houston isn't a great option, and now instead of addressing real issues with black coaches not getting jobs it all reeks of tokenism. Maybe it's better to get another ring in KC and wait til next year. Maybe he doesn't interview well and will learn from all this. But race is definitely a factor. 

Bieniemy has consistently failed to impress when interviewing for Head Coaching jobs.

When you consider his paper thin resume, maybe he's just a shitty candidate?