• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft Mac jones

Beerfacedlegend

11 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Honestly, what traits does Tua have that Jones doesn't?

Tua went what, #4 overall?

I'm not advocating taking Jones btw, I'm just curious what evaluators saw in Tua that they don't see in Jones. They literally played in the same system, at the same school with the same players.

Tua can actually move, where as Jones is a statue for an NFL QB in 2021. He's got Peyton Manning speed.

6 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Go watch some tape.  I've watched him fit balls into tight windows all season.  It's on tape, you just gotta watch it.

Trask and Jones will be gone on day one.  Denver will jump on Trask in a heartbeat, and the New England Bellichecks will grab Jones . . . unless he's already gone.

I've watched him play quite a lot - I actually like him as a player and really appreciate how he's developed (from backing up D'Eriq King in High School to finishing 4th in the Heisman voting).

It's just the lack of velocity on his throws is jarring. It simply won't fly in the NFL. I think he's a career clipboard holder. 

• Pie 1

Just now, OldhamA said:

I've watched him play quite a lot - I actually like him as a player and really appreciate how he's developed (from backing up D'Eriq King in High School to finishing 4th in the Heisman voting).

It's just the lack of velocity on his throws is jarring. It simply won't fly in the NFL. I think he's a career clipboard holder. 

I think the problem with anyone out of the big 4 is they have larger flaws. If we can't get one of them I'd much rather stand pat and get a guy next year.

12 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

Tua can actually move, where as Jones is a statue for an NFL QB in 2021. He's got Peyton Manning speed.

I mean he can move a little bit, but he's not a running threat. 

If you're comparing them as athletes, Tua might be Brees and Jones might be Brady. Neither one of those guys is ever spied. 

2 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I mean he can move a little bit, but he's not a running threat. 

If you're comparing them as athletes, Tua might be Brees and Jones might be Brady. Neither one of those guys is ever spied. 

I wouldn't want Brady or Brees behind our offensive line at the moment.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

I think the problem with anyone out of the big 4 is they have larger flaws. If we can't get one of them I'd much rather stand pat and get a guy next year.

The 4 everyone drools over have the arm strength and athleticism that allows a player to get away with things in the NFL - they have obvious flaws, but the potential is there. Allen is obviously the poster boy for this - he's blossomed in year 3 after 2 so-so years where he survived due to his physical gifts.

Jones obviously plays by a different set of rules and it's why this week is huge for him. He needs to win with accuracy, poise and command of the offence. Brady / Brees / Manning et al show that this still flies in the NFL, but it's a tough sell in 2021. Our coaching staff getting hands on with him for a week will solidify his position on the Draft board - they already know what he can do from a physical stand point, they're clearly keen to see what he can do from a mental one. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

The 4 everyone drools over have the arm strength and athleticism that allows a player to get away with things in the NFL - they have obvious flaws, but the potential is there. Allen is obviously the poster boy for this - he's blossomed in year 3 after 2 so-so years where he survived due to his physical gifts.

Jones obviously plays by a different set of rules and it's why this week is huge for him. He needs to win with accuracy, poise and command of the offence. Brady / Brees / Manning et al show that this still flies in the NFL, but it's a tough sell in 2021. Our coaching staff getting hands on with him for a week will solidify his position on the Draft board - they already know what he can do from a physical stand point, they're clearly keen to see what he can do from a mental one. 

Very fair assessment. 

20 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:
  • Leatherwood-Dickerson-Brown in the trenches
  • Devonta and Waddle at WR
  • Najee Harris at RB
  • Top notch SEC Defense 
  • Not overly mobile with a mediocre-at-best arm

And oh yeah......

image.jpeg.48c8d8fbf26edae62643586ac5aa6616.jpeg

Hard pass.

To be fair, Brady’s  combine pic was not exactly....athletic

now granted, he does look like a beer and a biscuit over the line there 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 2

20 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:
  • Leatherwood-Dickerson-Brown in the trenches
  • Devonta and Waddle at WR
  • Najee Harris at RB
  • Top notch SEC Defense 
  • Not overly mobile with a mediocre-at-best arm

And oh yeah......

image.jpeg.48c8d8fbf26edae62643586ac5aa6616.jpeg

Hard pass.

Yes and he lit the world on fire with that supporting cast.

I'm struggling to see how that is a negative. 

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

Yes and he lit the world on fire with that supporting cast.

I'm struggling to see how that is a negative. 

On one hand, I see how it's unfair to hold where a prospect plays (Lawrence at Clemson, Fields at OSU, Burrow at LSU) against him.

On the other hand, I see a prospect in Jones that looks like conditioning was optional, along with a less than desirable arm and mobility as a problem. In the NFL, if your supporting cast isn't stacked, which he's unaccustomed to, I want to ensure my franchise QB is able to hang. 

I don't see that with Jones.