• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How close did the Panthers come to getting Stafford? Dang close.

Zod

19 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I would have to look at the numbers more closely to see if I agreed with that. The league has always had overpaid backups. I would want to see if the data backs up your assertion in the past 5-10 years.

I can tell you that Colt McCoy had a higher base salary than Cam Newton last year and that none of the Top 10 paid backup QBs were black. A lot of QBs on that list not better than Jameis. 

• Poo 1

6 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

I can tell you that Colt McCoy had a higher base salary than Cam Newton last year and that none of the Top 10 paid backup QBs were black. A lot of QBs on that list not better than Jameis. 

They both had the same base salary, which was the league minimum for a player with 7+ seasons accrued. McCoy has more bonus money in his deal. 

None of those guys you mentioned are top 10 pay for backup QB's. They are much more in line with what the pay for a 2nd or 3rd string QB is worth. Which....Winston was legitimately a third string QB. Cam was a starter but he was also one of the worst starters in the NFL. It sucks to see it but he may just be done as a player. Hopefully he lands somewhere else so I don't have to like watching him fail(I will never wish anything good for any Patriot, ever).

I can tell you from the 2020 data the highest paid backup QB in the NFL was Jacoby Brissett. Of the top 10 backup QB salaries, 40% were minority QB's(Mariota is half Samoan) in 2020. 

It is hard to say what 2021 will look like because there is a lot of turnover at QB this offseason. I will say that I think this has changed and is continuing to change more quite simply because the percentage of starters and QB's drafted are beginning to have many more minority QB's than in the previous generations. I don't forsee that trend reversing any time soon.

21 minutes ago, Growl said:

8 seasons? For a guy already starting to show single of decline? Lol. This a sunny take, especially given that you just denied this had anything to do with Brady

You can fairly expect three or four quality seasons of play out of Stafford-not complementary of where this organization is

Show me the decline.

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

It means that black QBs typically don’t get paid for being awful. They don’t get legit second chances. They certainly don’t get the type of contract he received with his resume. Just like in life, in the NFL, black QBs have to be really good to get those Goff contracts. Look at what Cam had to settle for last year. 

Not race baiting, he asked and I answered. 

If we are using Goff as an example for a white QB that gets paid for being awful I don’t think Teddy is a valid comparison. Goff might suck out loud now but he had a string of successful years with the Rams and a SB appearance. It’s not like they gave him a huge contract because he’s white. Not sure if that’s the point you were trying to make but it certainly came across as a race bait type of discussion. Just letting you know how it came across.

4 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

Eh not really. What makes it hard is when you have an owner who knows nothing hiring coaches that know nothing. 

Never thought Rhule deserved the job. Didn’t do poo in college. Now you put him in charge of personnel and he seems desperate rather than calculated. Overcorrection never works. 

Just when I thought how clueless you really were, you post again, showing me and others that you're way more clueless than we even knew. 

7 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

If we are using Goff as an example for a white QB that gets paid for being awful I don’t think Teddy is a valid comparison. Goff might suck out loud now but he had a string of successful years with the Rams and a SB appearance. It’s not like they gave him a huge contract because he’s white. Not sure if that’s the point you were trying to make but it certainly came across as a race bait type of discussion. Just letting you know how it came across.

I think he is just living in an era of the NFL that is largely over. It was absolutely the case that black QB's carried a stigma for most of the NFL's existence but that tide has turned. 

43 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

They both had the same base salary, which was the league minimum for a player with 7+ seasons accrued. McCoy has more bonus money in his deal. 

None of those guys you mentioned are top 10 pay for backup QB's. They are much more in line with what the pay for a 2nd or 3rd string QB is worth. Which....Winston was legitimately a third string QB. Cam was a starter but he was also one of the worst starters in the NFL. It sucks to see it but he may just be done as a player. Hopefully he lands somewhere else so I don't have to like watching him fail(I will never wish anything good for any Patriot, ever).

I can tell you from the 2020 data the highest paid backup QB in the NFL was Jacoby Brissett. Of the top 10 backup QB salaries, 40% were minority QB's(Mariota is half Samoan) in 2020. 

It is hard to say what 2021 will look like because there is a lot of turnover at QB this offseason. I will say that I think this has changed and is continuing to change more quite simply because the percentage of starters and QB's drafted are beginning to have many more minority QB's than in the previous generations. I don't forsee that trend reversing any time soon.

Brisset signed his contract as a starter and became a backup. I’m talking about backup QBs receiving big deals to be backups.

18 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

There’s plenty of white QBs you can name that are sorry and have received fairly decent size contracts. You can’t name any black QBs that are legit sorry and have been paid handsomely to sit on the bench. 

5 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

Eh not really. What makes it hard is when you have an owner who knows nothing hiring coaches that know nothing. 

Never thought Rhule deserved the job. Didn’t do poo in college. Now you put him in charge of personnel and he seems desperate rather than calculated. Overcorrection never works. 

Why do you think Rhule is in charge of personnel? I interpret his comments as a desire rather than the final call at an outcome.

He does have some power but it isn't like what soem coaches do.

I personally thing Hurney is gone in no small part because of the QB situation here. 

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

Why do you think Rhule is in charge of personnel? I interpret his comments as a desire rather than the final call at an outcome.

He does have some power but it isn't like what soem coaches do.

I personally thing Hurney is gone in no small part because of the QB situation here. 

I could be wrong here. But I don’t think Hurney was the one that wanted Teddy as much as the coaching staff did. Hurney is gone because he’s trash and he’s always been trash. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Brisset signed his contract as a starter and became a backup. I’m talking about backup QBs receiving big deals to be backups.

Sooooo....most of those big backup contracts are for either starting spots or to compete to be a starter. That is how Foles and Glennon end up with big contracts riding the pine. 

Look, I gave you the data and you don't like it. That isn't something I can fix. 

Just now, AceBoogie said:

I could be wrong here. But I don’t think Hurney was the one that wanted Teddy as much as the coaching staff did. Hurney is gone because he’s trash and he’s always been trash. 

Roaring Riot confirmed that Marty was the one who pushed the hardest for us to sign him.

And of course, Marty set his contract terms.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3