• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Martellus Bennett dropping truth bombs

LinvilleGorge

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

The phrase "never meet your heroes" is very good advice.

I worked at Blackburn Rovers for a while and that phrase is very true. The players are not impressive up close and away from a football pitch. 

But why would you expect them to be? They've been groomed since they were 6 years old to be phenomenal football players. Everything else is secondary. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You forgot that you're actually almost always being forced into retirement because you're physically broken and quite possibly brain damaged.

Nah, you're forced into retirement because it's a physical job and it's difficult as a 30something year old to compete with 22-24 year olds at their physical peak.

27 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

“You choose your path.” That’s what I hear people telling our soldiers getting blown up overseas anyway. At least one of the two parties is getting compensated albeit arguably not proportionately.

Who are you hearing that from? One group of assholes doesn't make a different group of assholes any better or worse.

I think it's something relatable for all levels of competitive sports and probably just gets worse as you progress. I burnt out of AAU basketball in high school because at a certain point I just hated everyone. Using anger to fuel the competitiveness is just a really negative emotion to turn on that often. Similar thing with toughness. It's war and there can't be any weakness shown. Some people can handle it better than others, but not me. Life without it was also pretty empty for a little bit before I found my place. All the traveling and practices you really don't have many meaningful friendships aside from people on your team who like he says in the article may only be your friend because of proximity. Some of that mindset still comes up for me even now, though it's mostly gone.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Ship said:

I think it's something relatable for all levels of competitive sports and probably just gets worse as you progress. I burnt out of AAU basketball in high school because at a certain point I just hated everyone. Using anger to fuel the competitiveness is just a really negative emotion to turn on that often. Similar thing with toughness. It's war and there can't be any weakness shown. Some people can handle it better than others, but not me. Life without it was also pretty empty for a little bit before I found my place. All the traveling and practices you really don't have many meaningful friendships aside from people on your team who like he says in the article may only be your friend because of proximity. Some of that mindset still comes up for me even now, though it's mostly gone.

Yes one of old friends, "anger can be weaponized" Controlling is a problem tho, no one has that figured out.

You need to be in control doing your job, no matter the job.  Steve Smith was driven by anger/hate and had a good control for 98% of his playing career. 

I see the same drug of crowd cheers, in getting your social media followers up. Make no mistake, its a drug.

Lastly if you want to hoot with the owls, you better soar with the eagles first!

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

I've met Charles Barkley.  FANTASTIC dude.

However, history shows if you piss him off he'll throw you through a window. 😆

Charles came around my area. We had a great local drive bar, that was 12/10 Karaoke during its prime. Low key type of place, with great group of regulars. I was not there(working), but Charles stopped by. Heard a few regs do their thing and Charles took the mic " That was TURRIBLE!!!". Everyone laugh and then the big guns came out, we had a guy who could do "Staying alive" perfect. Just barn burner after barn burner hit the stage. Charles had a blast and didnt stay too long. Before he leftd cleared all the tabs along with leaving 1k for 2 more rounds and tip. LEGEND! 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

No one makes anyone do anything 

he made more money in one year than most on this forum make in 10 

there are plenty of people working two jobs and trying to keep food on the table and the heat on and medical bills paid  people in food lines in America for god’s sake 

he had a gift. He had an opportunity.  He was paid well for it.   What he did with it was up to him.  He could have left at any time 

I do not feel sorry for athletes  I feel sorry for men like my grandfather who grew up during the depression, drafted in WWII and had back injury and surgery back then made it worse but he got up and went to work everyday to provide for his family until the stress of that injury killed him at 62.  He had no choices   Martellus had many

One of the biggest problems with our society right now is a near complete lack empathy for others and an insistence that me and mine have it harder than them anyway, so fug 'em. Seriously, it's completely pervasive in our society.

The guy wasn't necessarily complaining about anything, just providing a different perspective that fans rarely get.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

I've met Charles Barkley.  FANTASTIC dude.

However, history shows if you piss him off he'll throw you through a window. 😆

I met Charles too, he was very nice and he's completely honest on air and in person.....you know how he really feels whether you disagree or not!  We need more people like him!

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

One of the biggest problems with our society right now is a near complete lack empathy for others and an insistence that me and mine have it harder than them anyway, so fug 'em. Seriously, it's completely pervasive in our society.

The guy wasn't necessarily complaining about anything, just providing a different perspective that fans rarely get.

I have a lot of empathy for people less fortunate and lucky than I have been. 

athletes, are a different story.  Met enough to not buy in to their pathos   I applaud those who use their platforms for good even if they do it for not necessarily for  noble reasons  (publicity or a tax break) or because they really are trying to make a difference 

they are still human but a few of them, of their transgressions are the very worst of our society 

I appreciate their athletic gifts and their ability to maximize them but that’s it

just like the comment about the locker room...please...it’s a job...at my job, I had to be teammates with people and produce.  Spent 60 to 80 hrs a week with them. Sometimes more.  It didn’t mean we were bosom buddies or I wanted to see them after the assignment was done   If anything, I didn’t want to be around people who lived and breathed work.

to be frank , when I read Bennett’s stream of consciousness statements, i wanted to say ‘for fug sake, grow up’.   

Life is hard and sometimes disappointing. Just put your big boy pants on and shut up