• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Likely to trade up?

Mr. Scot

Albert Breer thinks we might be (link)

Of the teams coming out of the Stafford derby without the prize, Carolina and Washington really do stand out. Those teams were the two that were willing to go past just a single first-round pick to get him—Washington offered a one and a three, the Panthers a one and a five—so if you’re looking at who might make a move up the draft board for a quarterback, I’d start with those two. And I’d throw Indy into that mix, too, if the Colts don’t come away with Wentz. It should be a fun run-up to the draft, with three quarterbacks past Trevor Lawrence (in Wilson, Fields and Lance) who carry very true star potential. Those three, of course, have varying distances to go to get there. But the tools are in place.

(props to our buddy Ellis who highlighted this on his Twitter)

I've said before the idea of trading up while we're in rebuilding mode makes me nervous. Still does.

It's probably valid to say though that if the team was willing to trade extra beyond their first round pick for Stafford, it's not hard to imagine them trading up in the draft.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

I think trading up is the most logical move for us at QB. The Watson situation remains to be settled and the suitors may be better equipped to send the Texans something that will make the trade more enticing. 

The craziness of the QB market makes we really concerned that none of these top 4 guys will be available at 8. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

This is quite a predicament we are in, if only there was an incredibly obvious point in time where we could have said "hey, we can easily avoid this situation that we are in now"

Can you imagine if we had a former MVP QB on a cheap one year contract to just see if he could still be a franchise QB and then move on with a high draft pick if he couldn’t. Maybe if we had something like that we wouldn’t have been forced to sign a bridge QB for 3 years.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think trading up is the most logical move for us at QB. The Watson situation remains to be settled and the suitors may be better equipped to send the Texans something that will make the trade more enticing. 

The craziness of the QB market makes we really concerned that none of these top 4 guys will be available at 8. 

Yeah, the talk that Wentz is gonna fetch a 1st has me rattled. Teams are ridiculously desperate at QB right now. 

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think if a deal for Watson can't materialize, that's plan B.

Breer talked about that in this same column. Said the answer Houston is giving to all requests is still a "hard no". Also pointed out previously that if Caserio gives in, he'll forever be known as the guy that traded away Deshaun Watson.

I just don't see that situation getting resolved before the draft.

• Beer 2

I would be wary about giving up too much to move up. Take Sewell or another top LT if all 4 are gone. Take a G/C in the second and extend Moton. Sign a Mitch or someone similar as a placeholder and then you can go all in next year with a solid offensive line for the rookie. Rattler, Howell, JT Daniels are 3 that should be in the draft next year that have some potential off the top of my head.

• Pie 3

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Breer talked about that in this same column. Said the answer Houston is giving to all requests is still a "hard no". Also pointed out previously that if Caserio gives in, he'll forever be known as the guy that traded away Deshaun Watson.

I just don't see that situation getting resolved before the draft.

Huston is in a corner and no one wants to let the blame fall on them. Dude is going to have to holdout.