• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wentz update: Trade is close, with three teams involved

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

You think I'm trying to start another discussion about Watson here?

Oy 🙄

And dude, if the last word means that much to you, feel free. This argument is clearly a lot more important to you than it is to me.

You trying to change the conversation repeatedly after agreeing with me clearly shows who this is more important to...

You can’t let it go.

They aren’t going to get 2 1sts for Wentz. He has not looked remotely like himself before injury. They may be trying to fluff interest to try and get a better offer but teams arent so desperate they will give away the future for seriously damaged goods. I think in the end they may get a 3rd, maybe a 2nd for Wentz but not much more. The contract and his performance just don’t warrant it.

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

They aren’t going to get 2 1sts for Wentz. He has not looked remotely like himself before injury. They may be trying to fluff interest to try and get a better offer but teams arent so desperate they will give away the future for seriously damaged goods. I think in the end they may get a 3rd, maybe a 2nd for Wentz but not much more. The contract and his performance just don’t warrant it.

From what I've read they have solid offers, just not as solid as they hoped after they saw what the Lions got for Stafford.

Expecting that kind of haul for a guy they benched is probably a good indicator that they're not exactly thinking clearly on this.

I’m curious what solid offer means though. Stafford has been more successful for longer in terms of production. And in reality, the Lions accepted what could reasonably be expected to be 2 very late 1st round picks and part of it was to take Goffs contract. I just don’t think he warrants a 1st. I’m not saying they won’t get it, I just don’t think he warrants it. And I hope it’s not a 1st from us. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I’m curious what solid offer means though. Stafford has been more successful for longer in terms of production. And in reality, the Lions accepted what could reasonably be expected to be 2 very late 1st round picks and part of it was to take Goffs contract. I just don’t think he warrants a 1st. I’m not saying they won’t get it, I just don’t think he warrants it. And I hope it’s not a 1st from us. 

Wentz absolutely does no warrant a 1st...especially with that contract.  That thing is AWFUL.

Howie screwed the Eagles trying to be cute.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/09/report-eagles-dont-feel-theyve-received-a-fair-offer-for-carson-wentz/

The Eagles want a higher price to part with quarterback Carson Wentz.

Despite reports in recent days that a Wentz trade agreement is close, Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reports that the Eagles are still waiting for an offer that they feel is fair. So far, they haven’t gotten one.

What is fair? Some reports have indicated that the Colts or Bears may part with their first-round draft pick for Wentz, but there’s been no solid reporting about exactly what has been offered, and exactly what the Eagles are demanding.

2 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

What is fair? Some reports have indicated that the Colts or Bears may part with their first-round draft pick for Wentz, but there’s been no solid reporting about exactly what has been offered, and exactly what the Eagles are demanding.

I know one report said they were looking to get something equivalent or close to the Stafford trade.

Most people would probably agree that's too much to ask for Stafford but that surely wouldn't stop them from trying.

5 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/09/report-eagles-dont-feel-theyve-received-a-fair-offer-for-carson-wentz/

The Eagles want a higher price to part with quarterback Carson Wentz.

Despite reports in recent days that a Wentz trade agreement is close, Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reports that the Eagles are still waiting for an offer that they feel is fair. So far, they haven’t gotten one.

So the reports that a deal was close could have been false? Possibly? 

3 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Wentz absolutely does no warrant a 1st...especially with that contract.  That thing is AWFUL.

Howie screwed the Eagles trying to be cute.

Nail on head--that contract is the reason the picks are not the issue--they seek to dump the contract, and the dead cap is tremendously different in a post-June 1 trade, if I am reading OTC correctly.

So Philly is in a bit of a bind.  I am not smart enough to figure out what might be the issue here, but can the agree to trade a player June 2 NOW?  Cap savings post June 1 trade is over $25m.   Before June 1, the cap savings for a trade is listed at $850,000.  I do not get it, but that has to be a factor at some point.  Maybe someone who understands this better than I do can explain what might be going on--if I am reading this right.

Saw a little bit from a radio interview with former Saints GM Randy Mueller, basically discussing how he'd handle it.

His take is that it doesn't make sense to trade Wentz just because he doesn't want to be there. As a GM, he says, that doesn't really matter to him. Stated further that if Wentz wants to get paid, he'll honor his contract.

GMs vary, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's a common way of thinking.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Not sure about the timeline, but at this point last year, were we (Huddle)  not looking for #1 rounder for Cam?

There is time, but moving Wentz after June 1 makes more sense than now, if only looking at the cap figure---as best I can interpret it.

Edited by MHS831

14 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Not sure about the timeline, but at this point last year, were we (Huddle)  not looking for #1 rounder for Cam?

There is time, but moving Wentz after June 1 makes more sense than now, if only looking at the cap figure---as best I can interpret it.

Sure we were, we wanted whatever we could get for Cam. Then people started looking under the hood, kicking the tires and well, crickets... I believe there were even rumors generated out there saying this team or that team would/should/might trade for him in an effort to generate interest.

A couple of seasons pretty much lost to injury, uninspired play when he was on the field, and what could be considered a lackluster approach to rehabbing pretty much had everyone passing on Cam. We had to end up waiving him to free up physical space (if not any cap room) and it wasn't until very late in the offseason that New England finally took him on because the dance of the lemons was about to stop. And suddenly, we begin to think that Bill Belichick can't actually pick or develop QBs. 

We let Cam go March 24, because there just wasn't any reason to let things go on and apparently his guys wanted to do the negotiations instead of the Panthers headhunting for him. Carson, though, is still on their books and there are some huuuuuge roster bonus implications if they can't move him quick.

(Just looked at that contract, and yikes.)

• Pie 1