• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report- KK Short has been cut

trueblade

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

All the money they spent being “competitive”. You know like.....

Teddy and 34-42M that you have insisted wasn’t a bad deal. 

KK-13M

Okung-13M

Weatherly, Roberts, Apple, Whitehead. 

How would that chart look with close to 100M beside the Panthers. 

Oh, you mean the money that Hurney spent trying to keep his job?

We still would have had to spend most of that per the CBA agreement referenced above.

I know folks here like to think we can start scrubs all year and roll over $150M to go crazy with free agents, but that's not realistic.

• Beer 1

with an 80 million dollar contract it’s almost impossible to play up to that value each year. injuries get in the way and it’s a team sport. obviously we didn’t get quite the return in his performance but ppl wanted to spend the same amount of money on josh norman at the time and he never came close to his 2015 performance, where i  think short did at least get close to his own for those first few years. also he was a crucial part of our defensive line in 2015. we had the supporting talent on that line but we just needed somebody to step up and be a playmaker after greg hardy’s departure. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, Icege said:

Oh, you mean the money that Hurney spent trying to keep his job?

We still would have had to spend most of that per the CBA agreement referenced above.

I know folks here like to think we can start scrubs all year and roll over $150M to go crazy with free agents, but that's not realistic.

Cause that number is based on cash paid out that year. Not the same thing, And since most contracts have dead money from bonuses already paid, or current ones with future bonuses, this is never an issue. Teams have been rolling over ridiculous amounts for years. They didn’t have to spend a thing. Have an understanding of a rule before using it as proof. 

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It’s over a 3 year period so technically with rollover you could spend 50%, 50% and 167%. That’s why you see sometimes those teams with 100%+ like the Colts and Browns a few years ago. That’s why the Browns had no trouble dumping a ton of cash on Landry and OBJ and still have money left over.

You also wouldn't happen to be aware of how the $40M in player benefits per team from 2020 was handled, would you? Did that count as cash (that could be rolled over)?

Edited by Icege

9 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Cause that number is based on cash paid out that year. Not the same thing, And since most contracts have dead money from bonuses already paid, or current ones with future bonuses, this is never an issue. Teams have been rolling over ridiculous amounts for years. They didn’t have to spend a thing. Have an understanding of a rule before using it as proof. 

Since you seem to believe that you understand everything, why don't you put together the contract numbers together that would have worked? 🙂

Considering that you weren't aware that there was a minimum floor for the salary cap, I'm ready for a good laugh.

PROTIP: You'd have freed up just $80M over the 4yr period (3yrs is for 2021 - 2023 seasons) if spending the minimum... so... good luck on finding that other $20M

Edited by Icege

Just now, Icege said:

Since you seem to believe that you understand everything, why don't you put together the contract numbers together that would have worked? 🙂

Considering that you weren't aware that there was a minimum floor for the salary cap, I'm ready for a good laugh.

What contract?

And we have discussed the “salary” floor many times on here. Usually when someone tries to cover up an incompetent signing. I sure knew enough to know it didn’t matter to the Panthers last year, or any team that I can remember. Evidently it was your Hail Mary attempt by providing something you didn’t understand. Let’s go back to those “it’s not bad contract” threads and debate who understands the salary cap. I’ve got years of posts showing my knowledge. Where are yours? 

• Poo 1

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

No idea, was that the CV opt out?

Found a write up detailing the $40M distributed per team. Looks like all of it was destined for retirements, tuition assistance, and the other benefit programs. Some sites have included that chunk with the overall cap which has been stupid confusing, but apparently those were strictly for benefits and not for roster building.

I'm willing to bet that your right on that being where the opt out payments came from though. I wonder if it was treated like when a team doesn't spend the minimum and any unspent went strictly to the benefits packages for the team should they not have many opt outs.

Edited by Icege

45 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It honestly should have only been 1 not so great year (2018). It was designed as a 3 year deal and the restructure made it a 4 year one instead of doing the smart thing and just cutting bait last year.

I completely forgot it was a restructure on his original 2017 deal.