• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Voth on the QB situation...

*FreeFua*

9 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

You fix the f***ing OL as quickly as possible. Our cap situation gets MUCH better next season. Plus, the cap can always be manipulated.

Franchise, then extend Taylor Moton. Draft a tackle in the 2nd round. Sign a solid veteran guard for a year. Restructure some contracts to make it work.

This really isn't rocket science.

How long have the panthers been fixing the OL? The new GM came form Seattle, how long have they been fixing the OL?

You also have no issues with Watson behind whatever OL the panthers have in 2021, forget even going to ask about depth..

But you got-

LT- ???/2nd rounder *thought this would be in a watson deal, so..... come up with another soultion*

LG-fix the f***ing OL

C-???/Paradis/fix the f***ing OL

RG- fix the f***ing OL

RT- One year of Moton

Depth- fix the f***ing OL

Put Watson and his 2 ACL tears behind that? WHy so he can lead the panthers to a 4-12 record like the 2020 texans, but he'd be on the IR with the panthers. 

Got a better solution, if you do please fix the TE, CB, LB group too. They ALL need starters and depth also.  

Edited by Basbear
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, MVPccaffrey said:

In Tepper's mind, he paid billions for this team, he's in his 60s, he wants a winner, and as long as he's cutting the checks then he's going to get a say.  He's got a fan's mindset and that's a good thing

No it's not. In fact, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Tepper indicated during Scott Fitterer's press conference that he was going to let the football people do their jobs without interference. And if he's smart, that's exactly what he'll do.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

RT- One year of Moton

Depth- fix the f***ing OL

Put Watson and his 2 ACL tears behind that? WHy so he can lead the panthers to a 4-12 record like the 2020 texans, but he'd be on the IR with the panthers. 

Got a better solution, if you do please fix the TE, CB, LB group too. They ALL need starters and depth also.  

God, I hope we work some kind of magic to extend Moton.

Secondly, just because this is football and Moton is a bit of a mystery:  I've never heard much about the guy as a person.

What if he holds out when he gets tagged?

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I definitely believe he should be.

I seriously don't know if he is.

If he in fact isn't, wouldn't that worry you about who is running this ship? He is a sunk cost, they have to realize this, no? 15 TD is his career high. That is atrocious.

Peyton threw more TD in a season that Teddy has in his 49 career starts. 

I just don't understand where this Teddy can be the guy bs comes from or ever has come from.

7 minutes ago, bigskypanthersguy said:

Secondly, just because this is football and Moton is a bit of a mystery:  I've never heard much about the guy as a person.

Holding out penalties have gotten much more severe under the new CBA.  They get fined out of the wazoo per day missed of camp.  It was previously $40k a day, but teams would usually waive that once they showed up.  They can’t do that anymore, plus the penalty cost has gone up.  And since he’s still on a rookie deal I’m not sure if that’s something he wants to do.  I’d hate to play hardball with the guy but teams have a lot more power with this stuff than under the last CBA.  

Edited by PandaMan
Typo

3 minutes ago, MVPccaffrey said:

unlike Leg Shaver who was just happy to run a family business where everyone can be comfortable.

Well, everyone except the women.

But you need a partner to tango so its about Houston even more so than Tepper as if they don't offer him up in the trade it can't happen. In terms of a trade up there are several teams with more to offer. Seems to me that his take is more about the field rather than the Panthers.

We tried to get Stafford and are trying to get Watson so this is great news anyway that we do have that type of owner. IMO we will have a new QB next year but that doesn't necessarily mean starter as we could still draft someone in 2/3rd round. As a Clemson fan I want Watson so I'm barely even posting about it.

Just now, PandaMan said:

Holding out penalties have gotten much for severe under the new CBA.  They get fined out of the wazoo per day missed of camp.  It was previously $40k a day, but teams would usually waive that once they showed up.  They can’t do that anymore, plus the penalty cost has gone up.  And since he’s still on a rookie deal I’m not sure if that’s something he wants to do.  I’d hate to play hardball with the guy but teams have a lot more power with this stuff than under the last CBA.  

Good point.

2 minutes ago, PantherKyle said:

If he in fact isn't, wouldn't that worry you about who is running this ship? He is a sunk cost, they have to realize this, no? 15 TD is his career high. That is atrocious.

Peyton threw more TD in a season that Teddy has in his 49 career starts. 

I just don't understand where this Teddy can be the guy bs comes from or ever has come from.

I don't really think anybody is saying Teddy can be "the guy". It's more a thought that despite the team doing their best to replace him, that's what it might come down to.

It's kind of like with the Matt Stafford trade. They gave it a good shot without overpaying, but weren't able to deal the deal.

I'm okay with that. Another year of Bridgewater would suck, but I don't think it would be because of a lack of effort.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, bigskypanthersguy said:

All the rumors point to him wanting LT/top tier money. All Ive heard about Moton is hes a true professional. Hard worker, no off-field worries, and very smart. No idea about how his agents will handle this. Honestly before it gets messy, you could tag and trade him. Personally I wouldnt pay top LT money. He could play out the tag if thats the case. A issue is RT money is very close to what LT money is now. If you only will play for top LT money, sorry we do not know youre able to play 16 games there. Play the tag at LT and go form there, if thats his issue. Other options tag&trade/reach a fair contract. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, bigskypanthersguy said:

Good point.

But actually now that I think about it, since he’s not under contract anymore due to it expiring, I’m not even sure if that would apply to him.  It’s gonna be interesting to see what happens.  I would love to keep him.  

How many games are we winning next year with CMC back, an improved defense, and even Teddy being his usual average and boring self?  7, 8? We're not sniffing the Top 5 picks, probably not the Top 10.  Which leads us to the '22 Draft and trading our 1st, a future 1st, and more to jump up and draft an unknown. 

Best case scenario is obviously drafting a rookie QB who becomes a franchise guy.  But in our current position, and probable future one next year, it's highly unlikely we find a QB unless we essentially spend at least 2 1st rounders in a trade of some sort. 

IF the difference in getting Watson or a rookie QB is only one 1st rounder and another piece...give me the sure thing.  The idea that we're magically going to suck enough next year on what "should" be an improved roster to even sniff a Sam Howell is crazy to me. 

Spend 2 first rounders+ to trade up for an unknown rookie and pray he's legit...or spend 3 first rounders+ on a Top 5 QB now.  Kind of an easy decision to me. 

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

All the rumors point to him wanting LT/top tier money. All Ive heard about Moton is hes a true professional. Hard worker, no off-field worries, and very smart. No idea about how his agents will handle this. Honestly before it gets messy, you could tag and trade him. Personally I wouldnt pay top LT money. He could play out the tag if thats the case. A issue is RT money is very close to what LT money is now. If you only will play for top LT money, sorry we do not know youre able to play 16 games there. Play the tag at LT and go form there, if thats his issue. Other options tag&trade/reach a fair contract. 

My concern is that we just have nothing at offensive line I'm comfortable with.  So, while expensive, if he's our first building piece, so be it, provided we can find other solutions in FA or the draft.

This just sucks.

There are so many holes and I'm as sick of losing as everyone else.

3 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Well, everyone except the women.

But you need a partner to tango so its about Houston even more so than Tepper as if they don't offer him up in the trade it can't happen. In terms of a trade up there are several teams with more to offer. Seems to me that his take is more about the field rather than the Panthers.

We tried to get Stafford and are trying to get Watson so this is great news anyway that we do have that type of owner. IMO we will have a new QB next year but that doesn't necessarily mean starter as we could still draft someone in 2/3rd round. As a Clemson fan I want Watson so I'm barely even posting about it.

My thing with Stafford is that we made an aggressive but still reasonable offer.

Obviously it would take more to trade for Watson, but as long as that deal can still be considered "aggressive but reasonable" I'd be fine with it.

If we don't get him under those conditions, that's disappointing but it's not the end of the world.

If we do get him, but it's because Tepper stepped in and directed his football people to do more than they otherwise would have, that might be a good short term outcome but it's a bad precedent for the future.

• Beer 1