• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

$8 million+ RB's since 2010

kungfoodude

I mean, I'm sure there is some correlation, but that probably can be said of any position. 

I just don't intellectually believe that just because you pay a productive RB that it guarantees you to not compete for championships on a consistent basis. I don't believe that you can look at this with tunnel vision. In a macro sense, you should be looking at your puzzle pieces each year and determining what it's going to take to compete.

• Pie 7

Just now, Harbingers said:

Gotcha, Wasn't sure if teams were even paying running backs 8+ 10 years ago.

Actually, it was more common back then it was now. Only 12 of those 40 instances are from 2016-2020.

It's almost as if the league has decided that you shouldn't spend a lot of money on RB's.....

In fairness, there are 7 RB's that will make $8+ mil in 2021 and 6 the two years after. This is of course assuming some of those guys don't get cut during that period, which is likely. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I mean, I'm sure there is some correlation, but that probably can be said of any position. 

I just don't intellectually believe that just because you pay a productive RB that it guarantees you to not compete for championships on a consistent basis. I don't believe that you can look at this with tunnel vision. In a macro sense, you should be looking at your puzzle pieces each year and determining what it's going to take to compete.

This is just one bit of data but the whole of the picture has been pretty clear. Successful teams don't spend mega-bucks on RB's or at least they don't for very long. 

We have 2-4 more years of interesting data incoming because we have a lot of guys in the past two years that got mega bucks deals and Barkley will probably be another one coming up. 

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

Interesting. Pretty clear that paying a lot for a RB doesn't torpedo a team's ability to compete. 

We also need to remember cmc is a different kind of RB than most, even among highly paid RBs of the past and present.

It doesn't have a strong record of success in that time period, mainly the opposite. Only 30% of the instances had a top 10 yardage or rushing TD performance and resulted in a winning record. 

CMC is not drastically different than Ladainian Tomlinson or Marshall Faulk. One who had great career postseason success, one who had almost none. 

Edited by kungfoodude