• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dougie and the Canes Not Close in Contract Talks

Anybodyhome

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2126020/report-tangible-gap-between-hurricanes-hamilton-in-contract-talks

Something's got to give in the negotiations between the Carolina Hurricanes and Dougie Hamilton.

The two sides have held discussions about a new contract for the pending unrestricted free-agent defenseman, but the talks have simmered since February and there's "a tangible gap" between what Hamilton's camp and the team are looking for, reports The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun.

Hamilton would be the best blue-liner available if he were to hit the open market when eligible July 28.

The 27-year-old is in the final season of the six-year, $34.5-million pact he inked with the Calgary Flames in 2015. Calgary traded him to the Hurricanes in a deal that sent rearguard Noah Hanifin and forward Elias Lindholm out west in 2018.

Hamilton has thrived since joining Carolina, forming one of the NHL's top pairings alongside Jaccob Slavin and posting 0.6 points per game with stellar underlying numbers over two-plus campaigns.

The 6-foot-6 defender has posted one goal and 13 assists while averaging over 22 minutes of ice time in 22 games this season.

Carolina is expected to have more than $28 million in cap space for 2021-22, according to CapFriendly.

-------------------------------------------

Read elsewhere: Dougie wants $8.5M and the Canes offered $6.5M per year. Gotta be honest, he might not be around next year.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 3

He's made a few bad decision this season that cost the Canes a couple games. But, look, if the team doesn't come around, the reality is he's playing for his resume and that could translate into a very good year for the Canes if he really comes around. 

On the other hand, Bean is 6'1" @ 190, Dougies is 6'6" @ 230 or so. I prefer a D with some size to get physical when needed- and I think that's been a factor in the playoffs against the Bruins and Caps and a few others who like to play hard- they just wear down a smaller team.

Carolina has the 6th highest paid D roster in the league at over $25M, but they're all under contract for a couple years, at least.

Nikita Zadorov (Chicago) or Brandon Carlo (Boston) will be available.... I'd take either.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

He's made a few bad decision this season that cost the Canes a couple games. But, look, if the team doesn't come around, the reality is he's playing for his resume and that could translate into a very good year for the Canes if he really comes around. 

On the other hand, Bean is 6'1" @ 190, Dougies is 6'6" @ 230 or so. I prefer a D with some size to get physical when needed- and I think that's been a factor in the playoffs against the Bruins and Caps and a few others who like to play hard- they just wear down a smaller team.

Carolina has the 6th highest paid D roster in the league at over $25M, but they're all under contract for a couple years, at least.

Nikita Zadorov (Chicago) or Brandon Carlo (Boston) will be available.... I'd take either.

But how often does dougie get physical?

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

You're right, and I wish it was a lot more.

He does, he just doesn't hit hard usually, he's more about using his size with finesse to win puck battles, etc. I'm sure a moderate hit from him ='s a big hit from someone like Bean though.

I agree we probably won't see him next season and absolutely need a big guy to replace him because we don't have anyone that fits that criteria right now.

• Pie 1