• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers reach rock bottom scenario: roll with Teddy for another year or draft Mac Jones at 8?

No other options  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Big Mac vs Lil' Teddy

• Draft Mac Jones
    • Roll with Teddy for another year

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We are not cutting teddy. 

I don't know if some of the rumblings are true. I guess I am just not sure how you trot him back out there after this offseason. If we sign someone else or draft someone else, we would have the most expensive backup QB in the NFL and by a significant margin(possibly the most expensive backup in NFL history).

It seems like trotting out Teddy again would generally be problematic. Does he have trade value? To be determined.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't know if some of the rumblings are true. I guess I am just not sure how you trot him back out there after this offseason. If we sign someone else or draft someone else, we would have the most expensive backup QB in the NFL and by a significant margin(possibly the most expensive backup in NFL history).

It seems like trotting out Teddy again would generally be problematic. Does he have trade value? To be determined.

What rumblings?  It would be insanely stupid to just cut him and eat the money and I got to think Fiv is smarter than that

So I had a "crazy" thought this morning.  Why not draft an elite CB or OT at 8, and then pick the best QB in round two?  I've read and seen some people claiming that Lance is a round 2 player, and that Mond would be in play in round 2.

So why not get Slater or Farely (or whoever floats your boat) and then find a QB later?  I mean a good OT will go a long way to improving our team and offense, even with a return of TB.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

What rumblings?  It would be insanely stupid to just cut him and eat the money and I got to think Fiv is smarter than that

The rumor mill about him being on the outs here. 

I agree taking that dead cap hit wouldn't be wise but probably rolling into 2021 with a lame duck QB isn't either.

If we can't trade him then most of the scenarios we are looking at are probably touchy or just bad. It's going to be interesting to see what transpires.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, d-dave said:

So I had a "crazy" thought this morning.  Why not draft an elite CB or OT at 8, and then pick the best QB in round two?  I've read and seen some people claiming that Lance is a round 2 player, and that Mond would be in play in round 2.

So why not get Slater or Farely (or whoever floats your boat) and then find a QB later?  I mean a good OT will go a long way to improving our team and offense, even with a return of TB.

I think you play the board but it would be hard to pass on Lance at 8 if he is available. That is gonna depend on what our scouting department comes up with. It could be we wouldn't touch Lance or Jones or Mond in the first round at all.

I am not gonna be upset about getting a top end CB or OT at 8.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I'm not against this. It all depends on what happens when we go on the clock. Is Slater there? Can we get Darrisaw if we trade with Minnesota and pick up an extra 2nd? If so, I say do that. Too many scenarios to really consider a concrete path. We just have to wait and see what happens. If I were GM, I'd be hoping someone in the low teens wants someone bad enough at 8 to give us their 2nd and maybe a later pick in addition to their 1st. But that's just me.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The rumor mill about him being on the outs here. 

I agree taking that dead cap hit wouldn't be wise but probably rolling into 2021 with a lame duck QB isn't either.

If we can't trade him then most of the scenarios we are looking at are probably touchy or just bad. It's going to be interesting to see what transpires.

With his contract he was always going to be a lame duck.  Remember the "bridge" jokes that were going around when we signed him.  This was always the plan to get someone to replace him in the draft.  Now if his feelings were hurt because the coaches and front office was deadly truthful then he can go fug himself and sleep on his 40+ million we just gifted him. 

• Beer 1

Just now, Pup McBarky said:

I'm not against this. It all depends on what happens when we go on the clock. Is Slater there? Can we get Darrisaw if we trade with Minnesota and pick up an extra 2nd? If so, I say do that. Too many scenarios to really consider a concrete path. We just have to wait and see what happens. If I were GM, I'd be hoping someone in the low teens wants someone bad enough at 8 to give us their 2nd and maybe a later pick in addition to their 1st. But that's just me.

Slater's pro day a few days ago was lights out and more than likely solidified his place in the top 10. 

28 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

What do we do with Teddy if we go JAG free agent signing, though? Cut him?

That or June 1st, use savings to sign Jag and should have some left over. 2022 no Teddy desd money or half left.

Edit: This assumes no one is dumb enough to trade for him, even with us eating 10 million of his salary this year.

Edited by Waldo
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

With his contract he was always going to be a lame duck.  Remember the "bridge" jokes that were going around when we signed him.  This was always the plan to get someone to replace him in the draft.  Now if his feelings were hurt because the coaches and front office was deadly truthful then he can go fug himself and sleep on his 40+ million we just gifted him. 

Agreed but we also thought he might be a bottom end to middle tier NFL starter when he proved to just be a journeyman backup QB. I think that has changed the situation quite a bit. I definitely don't care about his feelings. 

We will see how it all goes down. Hindsight definitely hasn't been kind to the Hurney/Rhule combo from the 2020 offseason. 

That's another scary thought, what if Rhule was sold on guys like Whitehead, Teddy, Weatherly, etc. I hope we can end up blaming that on Hurney.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Slater's pro day a few days ago was lights out and more than likely solidified his place in the top 10. 

That's another factor. Pro days are super important this year and will likely have an inordinately heavy effect on the draft. That could mean some team falls in love with a guy on his pro day and offers us a ton of lower picks. Would be hard to turn that down if I were the GM.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That's another scary thought, what if Rhule was sold on guys like Whitehead, Teddy, Weatherly, etc. I hope we can end up blaming that on Hurney.

That is scary. Whether it's biased, wishful thinking or not, I tend to think they hung on to Hurney primarily because he was more familiar with the talent out there. Though it was obvious he favored former players, but moreso (again maybe wishful thinking) for their knowledge of his system and to set a tone. If he thought Whitehead was truly a starting caliber NFL MLB, then that doesn't bode well.

• Beer 2