• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Josh Norris believes WR 3 is a big need this offseason

GoobyPls

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I get it.  I don't think we're going to be able to retain Samuel, someone WILL overpay him.  I think we can probably replace him with someone like Elijah Moore or Kadarius Toney in the draft.

Agreed. If he has a big market out there, you let him go get that. Hopefully it won't be one of those situations where we are kicking ourselves 3-4 years down the road. I do think we need to draft someone and not just rely on what we have at the slot, right now. This staff is supposed to excel in player development, so let them develop them.

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

CMC can't replace a #3 WR but he can make that loss less impactful. Namely because CMC isn't capable of being a deep threat WR.

Hopefully we are able to sign or draft a guy that can provide that extra weapon that Samuel was. 

CMC should be able to open up a lot of opportunities for our other WRs to go deep down the field. You just can't cover him with a linebacker and you really can't tackle him with a CB. 

Now if he can stay healthy, if we could somehow retain Samuel AND get someone who is a threat to zing the ball down field... poo is going to get interesting.

Just now, Khyber53 said:

CMC should be able to open up a lot of opportunities for our other WRs to go deep down the field. You just can't cover him with a linebacker and you really can't tackle him with a CB. 

Now if he can stay healthy, if we could somehow retain Samuel AND get someone who is a threat to zing the ball down field... poo is going to get interesting.

With Samuel, CMC, a competent QB AND just an average offensive line.....we might be the most explosive offense in the NFL. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

We really could be that close. A little stiffening of the defense and voila! 

I think we would be more fun to watch than a real threat to contend in 2021. The issue, something I have been harping on since the 2020 offseason, is how unbelievably poor our depth is on the overall roster. It's just not something we could easily remedy in a couple of offseasons. 

That's why I was so pessimistic about that rebuild scenario after the 2019 season. You don't rip apart an entire roster to that extent and easily recover from it. I think we are generally "ahead of schedule" but we are always going to be 1-2 injuries away from being in trouble because we just have a weak overall roster. 

Hopefully we have another pretty good offseason(last offseason was okay) and it will continue to build a strong backbone for the franchise so we CAN eventually become a perpetual contender. 

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2

With our current QB, I think Samuel is more important than people think. Anderson and Moore are deep threats but T2G isnt. Any deep pass has enough hang time opposing DBs could go out to lunch and be back before the ball gets there. I dont think we'll be able to keep him, but he's definitely a good player in a key position for our current QB. If that QB changes it's a whole different game. 

6 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

With our current QB, I think Samuel is more important than people think. Anderson and Moore are deep threats but T2G isnt. Any deep pass has enough hang time opposing DBs could go out to lunch and be back before the ball gets there. I dont think we'll be able to keep him, but he's definitely a good player in a key position for our current QB. If that QB changes it's a whole different game. 

With our current QB it doesn't matter anyway. We're just fodder to fill out the NFL schedule and pad contenders' records with our current QB.

Here is where I sit on the issue of the TE issue, since most Huddlers are dying to know:  There was a signing this offseason, Fitterer's first, that is probably more significant than people realize--and there was one before that that could be significant as well.  Fitterer signed Stephen Sullivan, a TE on the PS taken in the 7th round by Seattle.  So Fitterer had a connection.  But maybe Fitterer was not the connection--maybe Brady was the connection.  Sullivan was converted from WR to TE before his SR year at LSU. He is now 6-5, 248 lbs, and only 24 years old.  Obviously, he could bring the position a pass-catching threat. In addition to Sullivan, we added Tommy Stevens, a former QB converted to TE who is now listed as a QB again.  I think they will look at him as TE depth, special teams, and #3 QB.  It just seems that we are more versatile and athletic at TE, and if Sullivan was Brady's call, we could see a glimpse of the TE position, which might explain how the #3 WR spot is more important.

Edited by MHS831