• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith talks some more

Kevin Greene

Whether he is buying the New Orleans Saints and their receivers:

“You don’t really have to buy anything. They are doing a great job. Great receivers? I wouldn’t go there. I am just being… Marques Colston is a good receiver but…Henderson, those guys got Drew Brees throwing to them. You don’t really…You sneeze good and turn around Drew Brees is really just square in between their numbers. I am not hatin’ but I think honestly I have watched those guys run routes and they don’t necessarily have to run the best routes because their quarterback is ridiculous.”

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2009/11/12/steve-smith-%e2%80%9ci-guess-you-could-say-that-the-passing-game-isn%e2%80%99t-up-to-par-as-it-usually-is%e2%80%9d/

More importantly, IMO, he had this to say:

Whether he is going to be in Carolina in the years to come:

“My contract goes to 2012 but I also know that this is a business and it is not personal. Whatever happens happens. I am not saying that I don’t want to leave and I am not saying that I want to stay but it is really not up to me. I don’t really call the shots to that extent. I know I probably have six good years left in these short, squatty legs. I will see wherever God wants me to play so I am going to go and my family is going to come with me and they are going to be happy.”

...scary?!?

You would think that all of this type of press recently has sent a wake-up call to the FO. I wish we could just start posting the exact opposite of what we really think the Panthers should do so they could in turn, do what we actually wanted them to do. We pull a Reverse on'em. HAHA

What I don't get is how people act like he's the team's only hope. He's a freaking wide receiver, for God's sake. Mark Carrier was replaced by Moose as the go-to guy. Moose was replaced by Smitty. Smitty will be replaced by someone else, someone who doesn't punch out teammates and cost the team 15 yards in key moments of games.

Why would it be scary if Smith wants to leave in 3 more years after this one. At most he would have one or two years left and he will be going on 35. If he lasts that long it will be great. But given that he doesn't have the best physical attributes and has to do everything with sheer desire and fierce competitiveness, there is no guarantee in 4 years he will even be able to do half of what he does now. He wil have lost a step or two, a couple inches of vertical leap and may not have the fire he does now. By then we will ridden that pony as far as it will likely go.

Archived