• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question on cornerback for the board

Panthero

In terms of free agency and draft what is the bigger need according to you all? A starter level outside guy or a slot guy? Just curious what the board thinks gives us the best combo. 

It seems like size wise both Pride and Jackson could slide to slot given their physical attributes and we should go with a corner in the draft that matches up well with bigger WRs but there are a lot of good slot guys in the draft

I guess we could still sign a slot guy who is larger to deal with TEs too. 

• Pie 1

Donte Jackson graded out really strong last year when healthy. One of the best in the league matter of fact. I think we lean into that this year. Im also working udner the assumption we will offer him in the Watson deal if it comes to fruition. 

If that were to be the case, I am sure we would backfill him with a short term contract with someone like Hayward. I know Snow has mentioned that he was proud of pride. I dont see the team pulling the plug on him any time soon. CB is one of the hardest postiions to learn in the NFL. 

• Beer 2

Aside from Jackson, who has a bad injury history, we need both outside and slot guys. Elder was pretty good at nickel. Pride was pretty bad at times but he's a mid-round rookie, so I think he probably just needs some more development time. He definitely has a lot of potential. Maybe by year 3 the light will really start to come on. 

I don't think we can conclusively say that any of these guys will be here in 2-3 years, so I don't think we should pass up the opportunity to get better at the position.

• Beer 2

As folks have said, it depends on Jackson. What do you view him as? He’s in an almost exact situation Samuel was in last year. If you do nothing and he does well, he’s gonna command a much higher price. Too risky to give him a bunch of guaranteed money and sign him now. Tough call. And does he eventually need to move to slot? Pride is a backup CB until he shows anything. 

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

As folks have said, it depends on Jackson. What do you view him as? He’s in an almost exact situation Samuel was in last year. If you do nothing and he does well, he’s gonna command a much higher price. Too risky to give him a bunch of guaranteed money and sign him now. Tough call. And does he eventually need to move to slot? Pride is a backup CB until he shows anything. 

I think Jackson has been better/more consistent than Samuel was up to his contract year. I think his injury red flags are higher than Samuel. He is going to be a REALLY tough decision to make. Samuel was great in 2020 but his production can be replaced a lot easier than Jackson's ability and production.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I think Jackson has been better/more consistent than Samuel was up to his contract year. I think his injury red flags are higher than Samuel. He is going to be a REALLY tough decision to make. Samuel was great in 2020 but his production can be replaced a lot easier than Jackson's ability and production.

That’s sort of why I threw in the “slot” comment. He has to be able to cover outside the hashes to get positional value of a CB. Just like some team has to believe CS is a WR2. 

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Aside from Jackson, who has a bad injury history, we need both outside and slot guys. Elder was pretty good at nickel. Pride was pretty bad at times but he's a mid-round rookie, so I think he probably just needs some more development time. He definitely has a lot of potential. Maybe by year 3 the light will really start to come on. 

I don't think we can conclusively say that any of these guys will be here in 2-3 years, so I don't think we should pass up the opportunity to get better at the position.

I think of Pride like I do Norman, but Norman (at the same point) took chances that got him in trouble; Pride seemed shy about taking risks.  I think Pride will be better.

And Jackson is asked to tackle in this defense and he is very unwilling to do that.

24 minutes ago, Toomers said:

That’s sort of why I threw in the “slot” comment. He has to be able to cover outside the hashes to get positional value of a CB. Just like some team has to believe CS is a WR2. 

If he is largely viewed as a slot guy by the league, his value would obviously drop in the open market. 

One thing that is hard to deny is he is one of the best TO producing DB's we have ever had. That also adds a lot of value.

19 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think of Pride like I do Norman, but Norman (at the same point) took chances that got him in trouble; Pride seemed shy about taking risks.  I think Pride will be better.

And Jackson is asked to tackle in this defense and he is very unwilling to do that.

He was a lot more solid tackling this past season. I realize that bar is low.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Panthero said:

In terms of free agency and draft what is the bigger need according to you all? A starter level outside guy or a slot guy? Just curious what the board thinks gives us the best combo. 

It seems like size wise both Pride and Jackson could slide to slot given their physical attributes and we should go with a corner in the draft that matches up well with bigger WRs but there are a lot of good slot guys in the draft

I guess we could still sign a slot guy who is larger to deal with TEs too. 

We need something. Not sure there won't be someone in free agency floating around that might be willing to go for a cheap prove it deal. We could use a top end draftee at CB, but with our other needs I'm not sure if there's any way we get to snagging a CB until round four or later. And then... the drop off is pretty bad.

• Beer 2

There are a few mid-tier starters type on the market right now, I prefer that route. I feel they are going to let Douglas walk and roll with STO, Djax, and pride. If you add one starter, thats 4, add a rookie and thats what they normally carry.

Djax is what they want in a CB, former track guy thats full on speed. His issue is staying healthy, as most know. Depends on the number and Id be for signing him up long term. 

Finally vet CB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rookie CB. That maybe the hardest transition to the pros.

Edited by Basbear
  • Beer 1