• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign OT Cam Erving - 2 years, 10 million, 8 fully guaranteed

Varking

1 hour ago, therealmjl said:

Or be proactive and complain 

Explain how fans on a message board can be "proactive" in respect to a team's FA decisions after they happen?  You're reacting to things we can't control.  The term proactive doesn't apply here.

Just now, davos said:

Explain how fans on a message board can be "proactive" in respect to a team's FA decisions after they happen?  You're reacting to things we can't control.  The term proactive doesn't apply here.

Proactively acknowledging that  these players we are signing suck before they even put on a Panthers jersey

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, therealmjl said:

Proactively acknowledging that  these players we are signing suck before they even put on a Panthers jersey

If that's your point then it's all a matter of perspective.  They are what they are and we'll see how we use them, if even as starters (which isn't a given).  If they suck, they suck but it ain't no thing but a chicken wing.

I see us backfilling to leave the draft open to as many prospects as possible.  Backfill via FA, build through the draft, maybe get 1-2 decent FA signings every year.  

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, davos said:

If that's your point then it's all a matter of perspective.  They are what they are and we'll see how we use them, if even as starters (which isn't a given).  If they suck, they suck but it ain't no thing but a chicken wing.

I see us backfilling to leave the draft open to as many prospects as possible.  Backfill via FA, build through the draft, maybe get 1-2 decent FA signings every year.  

These guys have no patience for that.  It's give it to me now or I'm going to throw a fit.

The Panthers structured the two-year contract of FA OT Cameron Erving to be cap friendly in 2021, counting only $2,240,000 against the cap. It jumps to $7,760,000 in 2022. Suspect OG Pat Elflein's deal will have similar structure. Picking up the $3.55 million in space when S Trey Boston's release becomes official at 4 p.m., Carolina still will have approximately $28 million to $29 million in cap space. Plenty of room to, say, add Deshaun Watson to the roster if the Texans opt to trade him.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fnewton_david.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
David Newton, ESPN Staff Writer11h ago

Tackle is getting interesting. 

(FWIW, I think we picked up some steals today, and I think Elflein will be solid at LG)

Tackle:  This really seems like the signing we would make if we were planning on moving Moton to LT. Scott was signed--good depth and an emergency fill in if Moton fails.  However, we also picked up Ewing, a first round bust who can play every position on the OL.  Now, we all want that Sewell LT, but if we play Moton there, all we have to do is find a RT--enter Daley, Scott, and Ewing to compete for the Right Tackle job in this scenario. Little does not count unless he found religion over the break.

If Moton stays on the right side, that forces us to draft LT, in my opinion.  Not the end of the world, but not the best scenario.  I want to say Daley kicks in to guard, and I hope we draft one.  That G from Notre Dame kicked some SR Bowl butt, and I like Anderson as a late round G from Tex Tech. 

The key to this working is Moton succeeds at LT---then everything falls into place.