• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deshaun Watson has lawsuit filed against him by Tony Buzbee

Verge

from a lawyer on another forum

The reason they’re trickling cases is to pressure for settlement. The prayer for the minimum amount in controversy is immediately countered when they say “although only asking for the minimum, victims have also suffered emotional distress damages.”

It looks like Watson did some things AND it looks like buzbee is trying to force Watson to settle.

Also, note that none of the allegations have been tested. I can put whatever I want in a complaint. I would have attached screenshots of the texts/IG DMs to the complaint, personally.

2 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

Yeah the watson trade ain't happening with this bag of poop hanging over his head. You gonna give up 3 possible first round picks and maybe Burns for a guy that could be suspended or see jail time? Next.....I guess Zac Wilson trade up?

Nah, it will be settled out of court.  It’s a civil lawsuit.  Tepper will likely pay the bill himself to tell this lawyer to fug off.

2 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

Yeah the watson trade ain't happening with this bag of poop hanging over his head. You gonna give up 3 possible first round picks and maybe Burns for a guy that could be suspended or see jail time? Next.....I guess Zac Wilson trade up?

You don't receive jail time from civil  cases

• Pie 1

Just now, La Pantera said:

You don't receive jail time from civil  cases

There’s reason it’s in civil and not criminal. In criminal you have to prove without a reasonable doubt.  Him saying it’s not about money and going civil route is 100% money grab.  If he really wanted justice and this was legit... it be criminal lawsuit.

• Pie 1

same lawyer

I don’t recall if the suit asked for attorney’s fees and don’t know if they’re available in Texas for civil assault, however costs (such as filing fees) are almost always recoverable by the winning party.

The second complaint is mostly copy/paste job and, unless there’s something I’m not seeing, also has no attached evidence in support. We need to get some someone familiar with TX law in here to see if these complaints would stand up to a motion to dismiss. I don’t know how strict Texas is on the matter.

Note, I’m not saying you must attach all of your evidence to a complaint, but if you have something already, it makes it much easier to withstand a motion to dismiss to have it attached. A motion to dismiss is not supposed to look outside the complaint for information. They might have trouble using the texts/DMs at that stage to avoid dismissal.

3 hours ago, Ja Rhule said:

There’s reason it’s in civil and not criminal. In criminal you have to prove without a reasonable doubt.  Him saying it’s not about money and going civil route is 100% money grab.  If he really wanted justice and this was legit... it be criminal lawsuit.

He doesn’t decide to bring criminal charges though, the authorities and accusers do. 

5 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

Yes too Zach Wilson