• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are we doing in the draft?

Verge

10 minutes ago, Growl said:

he hasn’t played remotely well

people make it to the nfl all the time without learning the nuances of the position 

when has a player this deep into their career ever made such sweeping and radical changes to who they are and blossomed into a star 

The last QB Adam Gase coached. Granted, I think Tannehill was better than Darnold was at the point of Gase departing for both. 

Edited by Verge
  • Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Verge said:

I'd be cool with any of this. You are really in a cannot lose position at 8. 

And trade down for Horn who you tweeted or Darrisaw (I think the Panthers attended the Pro Day) would be sufficient as well. Sewell or the pick of the top corner seems ideal after getting your QB situation settled. 

3 minutes ago, Verge said:

The last QB Adam Gase coached. Granted, I think Tannehill was better than Darnold was at the point of Gase departing for both. 

That's my issue with everyone wanting to talk about Tannehill as soon type of "proof" that Darnold can be salvaged. Tannehill was MUCH better in Miami than Darnold was in NY. Tannehill just looked like a guy who would be stuck as a mid-tier starting QB but took a significant step up in Tennessee in a different system backed by a beast of a RB. The problem is that a significant step up for Darnold would be getting to that mid-tier starter level. 

I still hope that QB in the 1st is our #1 option. This Darnold trade is now a sunk cost. If there's a better QB prospect there at #8, take him.

• Pie 1

For the record, I think the Panthers lost the trade. You made an amateur type move allowing your desperation for a QB become public, lost out on moving up, lost out on DW (not their fault), and settled for a QB who has done nothing but be a bust to this point in his career. There were no other teams coming close to this compensation and you really kind of flopped into Darnold, and it is probably directly from the top. 

This is a mark of confidence within our coaching staff, there is faith you can get past Sam's constant mistakes and mechanical breakdowns. You have pushed all your chips into your coaching staff and Sam Darnold. Darnold will be good enough to not get you a top 10 pick next year. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

And trade down for Horn who you tweeted or Darrisaw (I think the Panthers attended the Pro Day) would be sufficient as well. Sewell or the pick of the top corner seems ideal after getting your QB situation settled. 

Darrisaw could go at 8 as well. Trade down would be ideal, but if Darrisaw is the best tackle on the board, just take him there. 

18 minutes ago, Verge said:

I see a lot of technical things in Sam's game. I also see a lot of breakdown of his mechanics and reliance on physical skillset when a play breaks down, which in a NYJ uniform was pretty much every other play. You cannot make it to the NFL and play remotely well without learning the nuances of playing QB. Just silly. Then you would also have to argue that our entire coaching staff missed that as well. 

More stability and better coaching
should put him at a higher level of play. Good enough to be a franchise QB? Who knows. Better than what we have now definitely. 

Sick dig at the end though. 

To be fair we are running basically an entire  crew of College coaches so I wouldn’t put it past them to miss things. Of course the latter still has to be proven. 

The upside is since we pulled the trigger now it appears we weren’t the only team interested in him in the immediate. That or Fitts just got played again already. 

4 minutes ago, HotelSoapy! said:

Scott Fitt needs to trade back down into the teens and recoup next years 2nd rd pick. I don't see what Darnold has shown that made him worth that.

missing out on a QB only to miss out on a blue chip talent would be a disaster

at some point the team has to just lie down in the bed they made instead of trying all these cutesy half measures to dig themselves out of the whole

• Beer 1

At the end of the day I have faith in Matt Rhule and Joe Brady to turn Darnold into something he has not been at this point in his career. I am at least excited about week 1 now, as compared to the feeling of complete boredom and dread I had if we marched out there with Teddy B. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Verge said:

For the record, I think the Panthers lost the trade. You made an amateur type move allowing your desperation for a QB become public, lost out on moving up, lost out on DW (not their fault), and settled for a QB who has done nothing but be a bust to this point in his career. There were no other teams coming close to this compensation and you really kind of flopped into Darnold, and it is probably directly from the top. 

This is a mark of confidence within our coaching staff, there is faith you can get past Sam's constant mistakes and mechanical breakdowns. You have pushed all your chips into your coaching staff and Sam Darnold. Darnold will be good enough to not get you a top 10 pick next year. 

The did take L after L, not a good last few months as a panther fan. Teppers thirst........ I swear to makes me question how the billions happened when you are a kindergartner level at keeping secrets. fuging Christ mate.....  

Make no mistake this is the same group(minus one) that ALL agreed about Teddy two gloves, so in one year all that commitment gos to the worst graded QB of the last 3 years?!?!?! ugh so tiresome.......

I’m not sure Darnold is “our guy.” I think he was our last resort that we went ahead and locked up so we don’t have to give up multiple first round picks to grab the 4th/5th QB in this draft if it falls that way. This allows to to stay put at 8 and still get a Lance or Fields if they fall. Darnold will be the starter until they are ready. Worst case scenario is all 4/5 QBs are gone by 8 and we grab a potential franchise LT to give Darnold a solid chance and have a stable line for a new QB if he doesn’t develop like we hoped. I think we much rather have Darnold AND Lance/Fields or just Darnold that risking watching Teddy again. 

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, Verge said:

Darnold will be good enough to not get you a top 10 pick next year. 

Their is no guarantee he improves from his 2020 play.  

4 minutes ago, Growl said:

missing out on a QB only to miss out on a blue chip talent would be a disaster

at some point the team has to just lie down in the bed they made instead of trying all these cutesy half measures to dig themselves out of the whole

The Panthers are still a rebuilding team, we for sure could use that second next year. And would still get a great player in the teens. The Seahawks traded down a lot while Scott was there.