• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF grade on throws past first read since 2019

5 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I’d love to see the video they’re looking at to make this assessment. I watched every single snap available on YouTube multiple times over and I saw him throw to a 2nd+ read exactly two times.  I know YouTube isn’t a great source of intel, but it’s what I have available.  I like Fields, I want to like him more. I’ll be thrilled if we’re able to draft him (but not quite as thrilled as if we got Wilson) but I’m just not seeing this evidence of making reads. 

They get all-22 film (coaches film) to study. This is sarcasm right?

17 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I’d love to see the video they’re looking at to make this assessment. I watched every single snap available on YouTube multiple times over and I saw him throw to a 2nd+ read exactly two times.  I know YouTube isn’t a great source of intel, but it’s what I have available.  I like Fields, I want to like him more. I’ll be thrilled if we’re able to draft him (but not quite as thrilled as if we got Wilson) but I’m just not seeing this evidence of making reads. 

NFL Draft: No, Justin Fields is not a ‘one read’ quarterback (usatoday.com)

There are some clips included in here.   

And kinda like Lawerence...when you can accurately hit your first read (and Justin Fields is the most accurate QB in the draft).....you simply make the throw.  People out of boredom are simply using the fact Fields and Ohio St (when healthy) are lethal against him. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I still think the work ethic questions feel like a deep fake from a team that wants Fields to drop. The criticisms for his game just seem too stereotypical.

Fields could of sat all season and been pick 1b.  Ohio St (Big10) only played because of Fields.   Maybe not the only reason, but without Fields though, they don't play at all this season.  

athletes like Fields and Lawrence flexing their muscle/influence defiantly worked against schools doing what they preferred.  Schools and athletics being distinguished in this convo. 

Just now, CRA said:

Fields could of sat all season and been pick 1b.  Ohio St (Big10) only played because of Fields.  

He had a few bad games, which will happen in the NFL, and all of a sudden he's chopped liver? I think that's mostly eval fatigue and the new prospects having less tape to critique. 

4 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

He had a few bad games, which will happen in the NFL, and all of a sudden he's chopped liver? I think that's mostly eval fatigue and the new prospects having less tape to critique. 

and his bad games only occurred when Ohio St was flipped on their head with COVID running crazy. 

2019 he was arguably the best QB in college football.  Started 2020 in the same position.  Fields was absoutely nuts to start of 2020.  Then covid hit.  Then they got everyone back on the field and in practice....and probably had the best singular game we have seen in college football the last 2 seasons against Clemson.    I toss out Bama because he was playing w/ that rib injury.   Rib injury vs Bama and Clemson are to very different things.  You could shoot up vs Clemson directly following it.  Injury sets in after that. 

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

and his bad games only occurred when Ohio St was flipped on their head with COVID running crazy. 

2019 he was arguably the best QB in college football.  Started 2020 in the same position.  Then covid hit.  Then they got everyone back on the field and in practice....and probably had the best singular game we have seen in college football the last 2 seasons against Clemson.    I toss out Bama because he was playing w/ that rib injury.   Rib injury vs Bama and Clemson are to very different things.  You could shoot up vs Clemson directly following it.  Injury sets in after that. 

I remember before one of those bad games he was extremely accurate, and that's still a pro in very scouting report (and it shows up in highlights). The Clemson and Alabama games were proof enough for me. No prospect is perfect or a sure thing but I'd be surprised if this guy wasn't a top 5 pick. 

43 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I still think the work ethic questions feel like a deep fake from a team that wants Fields to drop. The criticisms for his game just seem too stereotypical.

Agreed. An OSU assistant coach came out and VERY strongly rebuked them. Way stronger than a typical just defending one of our program guys type of statement 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I remember before one of those bad games he was extremely accurate, and that's still a pro in very scouting report (and it shows up in highlights). The Clemson and Alabama games were proof enough for me. No prospect is perfect or a sure thing but I'd be surprised if this guy wasn't a top 5 pick. 

First half of the regular season, he had a 84% completion percentage and 11 TDs - 0 INTs. 

I mean to nitpick Fields' game, you have to basically on look at the 2020 COVID games.  Outside of that he was arguably the best QB in college football the past 2 seasons.   And you can argue that body of work when he was healthy was better than Trevor's.  I still give the edge to Trevor but it is a legit conversation.   And his body of work of high level play dwarfs anyone else not named Trevor. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

The Read Progressions

The one thing that has been fairly perplexing to me during this draft cycle is the narrative that Justin Fields is a 'one-read quarterback.' I don't think that's true in really any form or fashion; in fact, I'd argue that he's more advanced than any other prospect in this class at ticking through his progressions.

spacer.png

https://www.thecutffb.com/post/justin-fields-qb1

Edited by Moo Daeng
  • Pie 2

54 minutes ago, CRA said:

NFL Draft: No, Justin Fields is not a ‘one read’ quarterback (usatoday.com)

There are some clips included in here.   

And kinda like Lawerence...when you can accurately hit your first read (and Justin Fields is the most accurate QB in the draft).....you simply make the throw.  People out of boredom are simply using the fact Fields and Ohio St (when healthy) are lethal against him. 

Oh yea absolutely, I’m not saying I don’t think he can make the reads. Not at all. Just saying I haven’t seen it like I have with others. Would genuinely like to see it and would hope to be shown my error. There’s a lot I like about him and would be happy for us to get him either way.