• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hello there!

Zod

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, Rhule and Hurney had a pretty poor hit percentage last offseason but did produce some pretty stellar HR's(Robby being one of the biggest). Let's hope we do better with the Rhule/Fitterer combo this offseason. We definitely cannot keep whiffing at such a high rate on these free agency moves and build sustained success. 

It would be interesting to know what Anderson thought of Darnold off-the-record.

One would hope the powers that be in our organization gathered that intel before pulling the trigger on this deal.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

One would hope the powers that be in our organization gathered that intel before pulling the trigger on this deal.

This definitely feels like a "we gotta do something, right?" kind of move. I don't doubt that they did their due diligence but it really does look like the entire offseason the plan was that Teddy wouldn't be starting in 2021. I think that is how you get to where you make a move like that for Darnold. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I guess we will see how that comment ages. If the QB taken third in this draft ends up being an elite QB, that won't age well. Especially if Sam Darnold keeps being Sam Darnold.

Quite honestly, the fact that this was likely our fourth option for QB, at best, that isn't encouraging. The fact that we were likely the only team in the NFL to make that offer, way, way, way less encouraging.

On the positive side, I think we are about to see how this GM/coaching staff combo is going to work out. If this flames out, ooh wee mayne.........

No reward without risk.. I like the risk reward calculation on this move better..

If I was trading that much draft Capitol I wanted Watson... That isn't going to happen now... I love 3 QB in this draft and 2 were gone by pick 3.. At that point I like Darnold better then the other 2..

Now we test my theory can good coaching bring out superior talent??

We will find out

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

No reward without risk.. I like the risk reward calculation on this move better..

If I was trading that much draft Capitol I wanted Watson... That isn't going to happen now... I love 3 QB in this draft and 2 were gone by pick 3.. At that point I like Darnold better then the other 2..

Now we test my theory can good coaching bring out superior talent??

We will find out

I probably wouldn't take Darnold over the top 6 QB's in this draft, if I am being perfectly honest. 

Yeah, I am curious to see what they are able to do with Darnold. TBH, there wasn't much improvement with Teddy, so I don't think they are the "Joe Burrow" miracle workers that people like to reference. 

I really still hope we can snag a QB at 8. I'd rather have two shots at franchise QB rather than just this one.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I probably wouldn't take Darnold over the top 6 QB's in this draft, if I am being perfectly honest. 

Yeah, I am curious to see what they are able to do with Darnold. TBH, there wasn't much improvement with Teddy, so I don't think they are the "Joe Burrow" miracle workers that people like to reference. 

I really still hope we can snag a QB at 8. I'd rather have two shots at franchise QB rather than just this one.

To be honest.. I have it like this with Sam in this draft..

1. Trevor 

2. Wilson

3. Lance/Darnold

4. Fields 

Funny part about your 2nd statement is overall statically this was Teddy best year..lol So they did something with him he just refused to take that extra step..

I'd rather build the wall (oline) and Secondary and if Sam doesn't workout you're in the same place next year with a better overall team and maybe a chance at a better option at QB..

This year the team won to many games.. Watson can't keep his personal business "personal" and every other QB needing team was in a better position to get a QB then you... 

Edited by WOW!!

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

To be honest.. I have it like this with Sam in this draft..

1. Trevor 

2. Wilson

3. Lance/Darnold

4. Fields 

Funny part about your 2nd statement is overall statically this was Teddy best year..lol So they did something with him he just refused to take that extra step..

I'd rather build the wall (oline) and Secondary and if Sam doesn't workout you're in the same place next year with a better overall team and maybe a chance at a better option at QB..

I would have him behind Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields, Jones and Mond. I am pretty down on Darnold because I just don't think he can process information well enough to be a good NFL QB. I'd rather take a gamble on someone far less talented like Jones but that seems to be pretty quick with decision making.   Darnold is a gunslinger without most of the good traits, and that is scary.

Yeah, Teddy had his "career year" here but boy was it unimpressive. Similar to Teddy not being willing to take that next step, that's a concern for Darnold too. I am always skeptical of those guys that can't find a way to keep getting better without a lot of team help.

I would still like a QB at 8 but building the secondary and ESPECIALLY the OL in this draft would make me very, very happy. Even if we can't get our franchise QB yet, at least fielding a halfway competitive team when we finally get one would be nice.

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Daniel Jeremiah did this exercise and had him behind only Lawrence and Wilson.

He is entitled to his opinion. I see more of the "damaged goods" and "inability to process information" aspects of Darnold than the "potential." 

It's no different than any other failed, talented prospect. After they have been a failure at their first stop, the teams that look at them and see that potential get less and less(rather dramatically, typically). Whereas each new QB class brings a fresh bunch of talented prospects, brimming with potential and none of the NFL failure. 

As a buddy of mine once said, "Potential just means you haven't done poo."

Looking at the general discussion on Darnold, I can tell you there's one thing I really really wish more people understood or at least considered.

Bad teams have good players.

Players being a part of bad teams doesn't automatically make them bad.

Archie Manning was a great quarterback who was part of a lot of sh-t teams in New Orleans, and that's just one of numerous examples.

I don't know whether Darnold is going to work out with us or not, but having a guy suddenly look a lot better when he left a bad team is pretty common (Ryan Tannehill is far from the only example).

• Pie 2

My gut says Darnold isn't the second coming or he would have likely found a way to look at least somewhat better than he did with the Jets, but I think odds are good he can look much better with us than he did with them.  I suspect we'll look back and decide that the draft capital we gave to get him was a pretty good deal, but the move wasn't a blockbuster.  A 2nd a 4th and a 6th for a middle of the road NFL starter isn't a bad deal at all, and I suspect that's about where Darnold will land once away from the swamps of New Jersey.

20 hours ago, Zod said:

Hey there, just a heads up.

I'm going to be annoyingly optimistic about Sam just as I was with Teddy because it is way more fun and life is too short to be a constant sour puss. 

Sorry, not sorry.

Love,

Your Ruler 

Well friend that only makes you as dumb as the average huddler. Cheer on!

Edited by Mr. Herbert