Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Additional motivation behind the Darnold trade?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Peon Awesome said:

Additional point: Let's say Carolina is all in on Darnold and not enthused by the rookie qbs. And the draft plays out so that all but one of the highly regarded qbs has been picked by 8, which seems increasingly likely. Denver looks like a prime candidate to take the final one which ups the value of pick 8 tremendously. Let's say New England wants to move up. We would almost certainly get pick 15 plus next year's first and maybe a later round pick. So we'd more than recoup the value of trading for Darnold with moving back a bit in the 1st. 

If we move back from 8 to 15, I want a hell of a lot more than NE's first next year (which is likely to be in the second half of the first round) and a late round pick.

With how this draft is shaping up, the 7 picks before us will be at least 3 QB's, potentially 4 or 5, and at least 1 if not 2 or even 3, of the WR's/Pitts.

Which means at 8 we're essentially guaranteed to be able to get Sewell, Slater, or the staff's favorite DB in the draft.

If we move back to 15, we lose out on every one of those options, and there is no bigger need on this team than an elite LT and a shut down DB.  If we're moving back that many picks and losing out on a player like one of those, I want 15, their 2nd rounder this year, and their 1st next year.  Anything less than that and I'm taking one of the LT's and if there somehow both gone, I'm taking the top DB.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not be surprised in the least that if a QB were to be available at #8, the Panthers would be willing to give that pick up for the right price.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We will upgrade QB if and when we get a chance.  We are more likely to wait until after the draft and sign an aging veteran to hold a clipboard and mentor Darnold, until he shows us what he can do here.

But I think they weighed it this way:

  • Sam Darnold:  A young QB with some redeeming qualities who can be developed.  He has cost us the equivalent of a third, a fifth, and a sixth rounder.  That comes to about 300 trade value points.
  • Trey Lance:  A young QB with some redeeming qualities who can be developed, but he might not be there at 8, so trading down to #5 or #6 (and that would likely cost us a second round pick, in addition to our first round pick).  Lance would cost us between 1700 and 1900 trade value points.
  • Mac Jones:  A young QB with some redeeming qualities who can be developed, but is probably close to his ceiling athletically.  He is likely to be there at 8, but not guaranteed.  (He would cost us our first round pick, obviously).  Jones would cost us 1400 trade value points.

Drafting Darnold allows the Panthers the opportunity to trade back or take a strong player at #8--like a LT such as Sewell.  OK, you just made Darnold better because by trading for him you saved your first and second and third round picks.  Now you can get the LT to play opposite Moton.  Miller is no slouch, and Paradis was improving.  LG is the only hole, and with Daley, Erving, Elfein all able to play LG, are we suddenly solid on offense? 

What if we add a TE to go with Arnold? 

 

  • Pie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

What if we just trade down, after all?

Trade our first down the line, and pick up a (maybe) 2nd and/or 3rd and build up the line?

Maybe one of those QBs is there and someone is willing to trade a lot to have that pick to get them?

 

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

I would not be surprised in the least that if a QB were to be available at #8, the Panthers would be willing to give that pick up for the right price.

I think they would hear, "Kaaaachingggg!"  Move back (staying in the 9-20 range--which includes

  • 9. Denver
  • 12. Philly
  • 14.  Minnesota (my dark horse move up for QB )
  • 15.  New England (the ideal trade partner)
  • 17. Vegas
  • 19. Washington
  • 20. Chicago
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

No you didn't!

I thought about referencing Jordan Peterson rather than Jung, but that would have invoked mutually assured destruction from the Tinderbox crazies and completely derailed this thread.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

I thought about referencing Jordan Peterson rather than Jung, but that would have invoked mutually assured destruction from the Tinderbox crazies and completely derailed this thread.  

 

I just thought you were trying to turn me into an introvert. 

(Jung humor)

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

If we move back from 8 to 15, I want a hell of a lot more than NE's first next year (which is likely to be in the second half of the first round) and a late round pick.

With how this draft is shaping up, the 7 picks before us will be at least 3 QB's, potentially 4 or 5, and at least 1 if not 2 or even 3, of the WR's/Pitts.

Which means at 8 we're essentially guaranteed to be able to get Sewell, Slater, or the staff's favorite DB in the draft.

If we move back to 15, we lose out on every one of those options, and there is no bigger need on this team than an elite LT and a shut down DB.  If we're moving back that many picks and losing out on a player like one of those, I want 15, their 2nd rounder this year, and their 1st next year.  Anything less than that and I'm taking one of the LT's and if there somehow both gone, I'm taking the top DB.

Agree on this, i am honestly only willing to go back as far as 10. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped reading after the first statement that we're desperate for a QB. 

 

That just isn't true. 

The team is doing it's due diligence to improve at every position it can, before the draft. 

That's the way it's supposed to be done. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

 

I just thought you were trying to turn me into an introvert. 

(Jung humor)

So, you are an extrovert posing as an introvert or an introvert imitating an extrovert?

Well, whatever.  Stay “Forever Jung”.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...