• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Falcons may become "the key player" in the 2021 draft from here out

SCO96

1. Jacksonville Jaguars
2. New York Jets
3. San Francisco 49ers (from Miami Dolphins via Houston Texans)
4. Atlanta Falcons
5. Cincinnati Bengals
6. Miami Dolphins (from Philadelphia Eagles)
7. Detroit Lions
8. Carolina Panthers
9. Denver Broncos
10. Dallas Cowboys

Take a look at the draft order. We know which two QB's are going #1 and #2. SF is taking a QB @ #3 (we just don't know which one). If Atlanta stays @ #4 and decides to pass on QB things will get really interesting. That would leave two of the top five QB prospects on the board @ #5.

The Bengals aren't taking a QB @5.  If the Dolphins feel Tua is their guy, I can't see them taking a QB @6.  I seriously doubt the Lions take one @ 7 since they just acquired Goff from the Rams. Two of the top 5 QB's could very well be in play when we come up at #8 if no trades occur between now and draft night.

But, Atlanta is supposedly open to trading down from #4, which indicates that don't feel they need to get a replacement for Matt Ryan in the this draft.  I could see them moving behind us to #9 if Denver (who may want to upgrade from Drew Lock) came with the right offer. That would leave one of the top 5 prospects on the board at pick #5. If a team thought we wanted that guy, somebody could make an offer to the Bengals, Dolphins, or Lions to leap ahead of us and grab him.  That wouldn't hurt as much now that we have Darnold. It could also result in a couple of high prospects falling into out lap @ #8. We'd almost be assured of getting one of the two best tackles in the draft or possibly the TE Pitts. 

Here's another tantalizing possibility. What do we do if one of the top five QB's drops to 8 and we're offered a #1 (and possibly a couple of more draft choices) in the 2022 draft to move back? We could keep the pick and draft a QB to develop...or move down in round one and actually pick up a higher draft choice than the #2 we gave up for Sam Darnold in 2022.

A big portion of how draft night goes from this point on could very well hinge on what our most bitter rival decides to do with the fourth pick in the 2021 draft.

Edited by SCO96
  • Pie 2

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

The problem is, that every team from 4 to 7 have the potential to trade back.  1 - 3 are for sure taking a QB and the possibility of two QBs falling to 8 but someone is going to convince 4 thru 7 to trade down.

I agree.

This means an awfully good non-QB player will likely fall to us at #8. We can still draft a QB if one is available, choose a blue chip player at another position (LT, TE, CB, etc), or trade down a few slots  and acquire a second 1st round pick for the 2022 draft.

1 minute ago, SCO96 said:

I agree.

This means an awfully good non-QB player will likely fall to us at #8. We can still draft a QB if one is available, choose a blue chip player at another position (LT, TE, CB, etc), or trade down a few slots  and acquire a second 1st round pick for the 2022 draft.

Of course, the battle to grab those 5 QBs is going to be intense.  If the 5 go before 8 that means only 4 other blue chip players will be off the board.  We may not benefit with a QB but we will definitely benefil with a STUD. 

3 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

Denver or Patriots will probably trade up for the 4th pick. Don’t count out Chicago. 

I think it would likely be Denver. Atlanta would only have to move down 5 spots. They would be able to pick up an extra #1 for 2022 and still pick in the top 10 in 2021. New England (#15) and Chicago (#20) have much lower picks. But, you're right. They would be in play if Denver didn't make a move up to #4. 

10 minutes ago, frankw said:

It really irks me that they even have a higher draft pick than the Panthers after embarrassing us the last couple of years. We must right this wrong.

At least we finally beat them once this year. That was the trigger that broke Arthur Blank and got Quinn fired.  I was tired of them stomping us with Rivera.  And Rivera not benching Haskins cost us as well.  Damn you, Ron!  *shakes fist at cloud*

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

By getting a higher draft pick than them next year? 🤔

Another top 10 pick would obviously be helpful but time is not on our side. We had our chances in 19 and 20 to maximize our draft positioning and all we got was a pointless win streak for morale and now we are convincing ourselves a former bust will be our savior. We need to bridge the gap within the division while we still can with Brees exiting and Matt Ryan also possibly following him soon. The Bucs are obviously the lead dog but Brady isn't going to play forever. These next few years are crucial.