• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You sure about that?

Two of those got their rings without playing in the game.

5 of the last 10 Super Bowl winning QBs were first round picks.

The non first rounders were: Brady x 3, Russ and Foles. 

First rounders were Rodgers, Flacco, Eli, Peyton, and Mahomes. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's the way you see it.

As I've mentioned many times, the Panthers don't necessarily see things the way you do.

As I've laid out many times and right above, it's not just my opinion. Several other options had to fail for us to trade for Darnold. That's reality. I'm not going to engage in mental gymnastics to try to convince myself that we planned all along to end up with Sam Darnold.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think he was as high as #3. Watson seems clearly #1. Then we made a significant trade offer for Stafford. And it was reported that we at least reached out to Miami about #3 overall.

And inquired about Russ in Seattle.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you take a first round quarterback and Darnold turns out good, you've wasted a number eight overall pick on a backup when you could have solidified another starting position.

No you haven't. Now you have your choice. Roll with the rookie or stick with Darnold. Trade the other. Or if we didn't pickup Darnold's option, let him walk and take the 3rd round comp pick.

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Rings are the only indicator of success? Either way, now do the same for former top 10 busts on their second team...

Well if you don't want to count rings as an indicator, there was this guy named Collins that led his team to a Super Bowl (I forget who drafted him).

If you do count rings, then there's a quarterback named Plunkett who was taken number one overall. He wound up getting two of them.

Another guy named Dilfer got a ring with another team after not working out at his first stop too.

Of course there's that Tannehill guy too. No rings yet, but you said that isn't the only indicator.

And likewise, while they weren't all necessarily top three picks, there are plenty of guys who were considered "busts" who wound up being pretty good with their second team, or third or more in some cases.

It's not like it's unprecedented.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

As I've laid out many times and right above, it's not just my opinion. Several other options had to fail for us to trade for Darnold. That's reality. I'm not going to engage in mental gymnastics to try to convince myself that we planned all along to end up with Sam Darnold.

And again, how you think it happened doesn't square with what the team says.

Your response to that so far has been that if what's reported doesn't that's what you think happened, it must be a lie.

I'm not ready to buy that.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well if you don't want to count rings as an indicator, there was this guy named Collins that led his team to a Super Bowl (I forget who drafted him).

If you do count rings, then there's a quarterback named Plunkett who was taken number one overall. He wound up getting two of them.

Another guy named Dilfer got a ring with another team after not working out at his first stop too.

Of course there's that Tannehill guy too. No rings yet, but you said that isn't the only indicator.

And likewise, while they weren't all necessarily top three picks, there are plenty of guys who were considered "busts" who wound up being pretty good with their second team, or third or more in some cases.

It's not like it's unprecedented.

Wait, I thought we were just talking about guys drafted since 2010 per the link you were spiking the football over?

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think he was as high as #3. Watson seems clearly #1. Then we made a significant trade offer for Stafford. And it was reported that we at least reached out to Miami about #3 overall.

well, 3rd option in regards to addressing the QB situation not via draft.    And like I said, the fact we went looking at Stafford/Watson and how we did Teddy in the process.....kinda built the need for a 3rd option whether we initially had anyone in mind there or not.    I think failing to get Stafford/Watson created a weird environment.  Then they just had to get a body to replace Teddy with. 

11 minutes ago, jayflip said:

I hated the Vernon Butler pick and wanted a Henry. Waste of a fuging pick and it still bums me out. 

true, I already deleted him from the memory bank.  Worst first round pick since Butler. 

Obviously if Sewell is not there you want to trade down, but you need a partner with good enough compensation to do that, easier said than done. Horn fits the grade at 8 so I imagine they feel comfortable enough to take him there if they have to.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And again, how you think it happened doesn't square with what the team says.

Your response to that so far has been that if what's reported doesn't that's what you think happened, it must be a lie.

I'm not ready to buy that.

They have said Sam allows us to take BPA and not reach for need. 

I don’t get why this is so hard to understand. 

if they like a qb at 8 like Lance or fields then based on those statements they will take the qb. They’ve literally said it wouldn’t stop them from taking a qb.