• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

2 minutes ago, Verge said:

Plus he is streaky, there are legitimate concerns about Fields beyond character that would drop him below Wilson/Jones/Lance. 

I still haven't really done any digging on Lance, but I definitely agree on having Fields behind Lawrence and Wilson. I was pounding that Wilson drum back in October.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

That might be the stupidest stat ever. Drafted since 2010? So basically drafted and won a SB in the past 11 years.

Seeing as how 1st round QBs drafted before 2010 won 4 SBs, doesn’t that make you realize that it’s a dumb ass stat. Tom Brady won 4 of the remaining 7. The other 3 were Mahomes, Wilson and Foles who started in place of the MVP front runner Wentz. I love how people act like Wentz sucked. If Foles started all year, they don’t win the SB. Wentz went 11-2 and got Philly the top seed. Foles played very well on a very good team but acting like Wentz didn’t win that year is silly.

So, the only example IMHO of a non-1st round QB drafted since 2010 to win a SB is Wilson. That’s it. As if the non 1st round QBs did phenomenal or something and as if 5 or 6 (if you count Wentz) of the 11 SBs weren’t won by 1st round picks.

If Brady wasn’t Brady, here’s what happens:

8 of 11 won by 1st round QBs

1 of 11 won by backups of 1st round MVP front runners after injured after 13 games

2 won by Russell Wilson, a guy who’s a draft steal like Montana and Brady

Yep, don’t draft a 1st round QB, lol.

It's actually extremely revealing to look at the starting QBs in conference championship games since 2005.  It's 1st rounders galore.

6 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Uh oh. Whenever someone say this you just know that's exactly what they are going to do. 

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

I think it does probably have a little to do with race, and that's pretty sad. Things that teams would overlook with a white QB that do not get overlooked with Fields. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Just now, Panthers Rhule said:

Says you, not me. It also says QB not NFL ready. Are you saying that if a QB is black then he cannot possibly have those traits?

No idea how you gathered that from what I posted

People can ask the question, "Why is this dude who was right behind Trevor Lawrence his entire college career  and and outplayed him at points now suddenly mysteriously falling down every popular draft board, overtaken by a BYU QB, and suddenly getting compared to regrettable busts like EJ Manuel?" I mean we already know OSUs offense does nothing for QBs being projected to the pros but sheesh. 

That's weird to a lot of folks and people are curious why. That's not playing the dreaded race card, it's a fair question. 

10 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

I guess I am just not impressed by him.

I'm not a fan of Jones, and when he started getting mocked to the Panthers I tried to think of ways I could get on board with it, but I just couldn't.

I'll grant that he's superintelligent and is said to be able to fully grasp complex systems. That's cool. I still don't know that he'll be a great player though.

If I were making a prediction, it'd probably be that he'll be one of those marginal players who later turns into a good coach.

2 minutes ago, davos said:

2019 or 2020 Jones? If the latter, phew, we dodged a bullet. 

Being the Alabama QB and still managing to get what 2 DUIs is a red alert with me.  Bama cops will do anything to avoid that happening.  The Alabama QB is favored and sheltered more than elected officials down there.  He almost would need to make it their only option remaining to arrest him.

The college prospect from Duke. They grade similarly as prospects. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Verge said:

I think it does probably have a little to do with race, and that's pretty sad. Things that teams would overlook with a white QB that do not get overlooked with Fields. 

Thats ridiculous.  The tape is the tape.  People are not going to bump him for being black come on now.  If that was the case why is Trey Lance in the running for pick 3 and he is far less talented than Fields.  Lets not do this

1 minute ago, ImaginaryKev said:

People can ask the question, "Why is this dude who was right behind Trevor Lawrence his entire college career  and and outplayed him at points now suddenly mysteriously falling down every popular draft board, overtaken by a BYU QB, and suddenly getting compared to regrettable busts like EJ Manuel?" I mean we already know OSUs offense does nothing for QBs being projected to the pros but sheesh. 

That's weird to a lot of folks and people are curious why. That's not playing the dreaded race card, it's a fair question. 

Just get ready if we end up drafting him how much this fanbase is gonna poo all over him any chance they get. 

1 minute ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I posted above as to why . It has nothing to do with race.  People started digging into his film particularly NW and Indy and saw how he played.  He has issues but everyone else not named Trevor does as well. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats ridiculous.  The tape is the tape.  People are not going to bump him for being black come on now.  If that was the case why is Trey Lance in the running for pick 3 and he is far less talented than Fields.  Lets not do this

I think we kind of have to do this. It isn't intentional racism, but it's still that. A stereotype of the position. Mac Jones' DUIs do not get criticized in the same way that Fields' off the field stuff does. Fields' processing time becomes a question of "football intelligence" when that label is rarely if ever given to white QBs. Here is my controversial take before I drop this and go eat lunch. Sam Darnold would not be in the NFL right now given his past couple years of play if he was not white. 

Edited by Verge
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2
  • Poo 4

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

You talked about passing on a quarterback who would have been good. That's not guaranteed.

If you take a first round quarterback and Darnold turns out good, you've wasted a number eight overall pick on a backup when you could have solidified another starting position.

If you take a first round quarterback and he's not good, you've screwed yourself out of two positions.

I too want a LT (Sewell all day everyday) but it’s also no guarantee he’s going to be good either. If the team sees a QB fall that they believe can be THE guy you kinda have to do it.

I’m not advocating for drafting a quarterback just because he’s a quarterback if you have others higher on your draft board but I think it’s absolutely fair for some on the board to be in favor of drafting a QB at 8. Once again I want Sewell or a premier LT just like you but if you believe a Fields or a Lance is the guy and they drop you make that pick imho.

Edited by CashNewton22