• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Burns going to have a breakout year.

Zod

Brian Burns will benefit the most from Jaycee Horn being on the team. 

Go back and watch how many times Burns came within a fraction of a second from getting a sack only to have a receiver get open and the ball thrown. 

It would not shock me to see Burns have 14 sacks and a pro bowl appearance this season. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1

I'd say he already had it last season; it just didn't show up on the stats sheet because of our secondary playing soft coverage and opposing teams getting the ball out quickly. His pressures/hurries and pass rush win rate are already pretty great.

Edited by beo
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, beo said:

I'd say he already had it last season; it just didn't show up on the stats sheet because of our secondary playing soft coverage and opposing teams getting the ball out quickly. His pressures/hurries and pass rush win rate are already pretty great.

Yeah, for the shade that some of the posters here threw at him....they definitely didn't pay attention. He was having an elite year in the advanced stats.

Just now, Zod said:

For us, yes. 

Not on the national stage. 

TBH, he would probably have to have a monster year to get national stage love. Small market team that isn't likely to be a playoff contender makes the spotlight smaller. 

Once he establishes himself as a consistent elite player, I think he finally gets that kind of love.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Zod said:

Brian Burns will benefit the most from Jaycee Horn being on the team. 

Go back and watch how many times Burns came within a fraction of a second from getting a sack only to have a receiver get open and the ball thrown. 

It would not shock me to see Burns have 14 sacks and a pro bowl appearance this season. 

If Horn is good then he changes everything.  Pressures, field position, turnovers. Cam’s best year was a year where our def we gave him the best starting field position in the league. Really underrated part of the stat sheet. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Snake said:

Now that I can agree on. By no means is Horn not better than anyone we had last year. We will probably have even more pressure up front so at least our defense will be better.

I am not prepared to say that he is better than what we had last year. I definitely do not like the pick but it isn't wise to judge CB's harshly on year one of their career. If he is shaky in 2021, that doesn't mean he is a bust. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I am not prepared to say that he is better than what we had last year. I definitely do not like the pick but it isn't wise to judge CB's harshly on year one of their career. If he is shaky in 2021, that doesn't mean he is a bust. 

Thats more of a testament of how crappy our CBs were. I'm pretty sure they were all 32 in the league.

Just now, Snake said:

Thats more of a testament of how crappy our CBs were. I'm pretty sure they were all 32 in the league.

Douglas actually played well. So did Elder, actually. Even Jackson played well when he was somewhat healthy. The only guy that was consistently bad was the rookie. 

I think Burns already broke out. That being said, very pleased with how the defense is looking going into next year.  Still could use additional talent in places, particularly the secondary, but it's clear from the players the staff has brought in that they are prioritizing pass rush, and if it works out, I think they can be a top 15 unit this coming year.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I know people are down on this pick but I’m trying to look at it through the staffs eyes and what they’re trying to do. Horn thrives in press and physicality so looks like we’re trying to go away from soft zone coverages which will help the dline obviously. Also they are apparently huge on RAS scores. Chinn had a 10.00, Horn a 9.99. Look what they did with Chinn. I’m hopefully that we’ll look back and say this was a justified top ten pick. Although if fields becomes a franchise qb and darnold sucks (I’m expecting mediocre) or we don’t address qb in a meaningful way then yeah it was a bad pick not because of Horn but positional value.