• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold's "Style of Ball"

8 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

You should be able to tell if your QB signing from the Jets was a good move fairly quickly.  By nature of the QB position, you get wild reactions from both ends of the spectrum.  

You can’t blame the most ardent fans that feel strongly that the franchise made a mistake trading for Sam, or the passion expressed for or against the move. It’s up to him to change minds.  From what I know of him, he’s a tough dude.

Everyone loves their team, want the best possible players that will uplift their franchise, feel frustration when a move in the most important position on the field is a retread.  It is what it is, time will tell, and it will be sooner than drafting a rookie straight out of college.

Funny thing: If you dug into my past conversations, you'd find I'm not a big fan of retreads. I much prefer draft picks.

Buuuut I also accept that there's more than one way to do things.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I could agree with that if we still had our prior GM or coaching staff. Happily though, that long national nightmare is over.

Whether or not Rhule and Fitterer are the guys to lead us to the Promised Land? Don't know yet.

But at least they're not Marty and Ron.

Getting over that sort of trauma takes time.  As Springsteen said, "you end up like a dog that's been beat too much til you spend half your life just covering up."

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Getting over that sort of trauma takes time.  As Springsteen said, "you end up like a dog that's been beat too much til you spend half your life just covering up."

It's true.

I do see a lot of positive signs though. The "Panthers Confidential" video for example is great. You get the sense that we're finally playing chess after 15 years of playing checkers.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

It's true.

I do see a lot of positive signs though. The "Panthers Confidential" video for example is great. You get the sense that we're finally playing chess after 15 years of playing checkers.

I'm just as guilty as anybody.  But I grew up and remain a St. Louis Blues fan.  Even in 2019, when they were the hottest team for the last four months of the NHL season heading into the playoffs, my thoughts were "if this were not the Blues, they would be my favorite to win the Cup."

Much to my amazement, they did.

But I am still not past it with them, either.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I'm just as guilty as anybody.  But I grew up and remain a St. Louis Blues fan.  Even in 2019, when they were the hottest team for the last four months of the NHL season heading into the playoffs, my thoughts were "if this were not the Blues, they would be my favorite to win the Cup."

Much to my amazement, they did.

But I am still not past it with them, either.

If the day comes when the Panthers have won a Super Bowl, I can't even imagine how those of us who have been here from the beginning are going to react.

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

If the day comes when the Panthers have won a Super Bowl, I can't even imagine how those of us who have been here from the beginning are going to react.

I'll be honest.  I have game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals for 2019 on the TiVo.  I've watched it probably 25 times since June 12, 2019.  To this day, there is a point when the clock winds down to 12 seconds and Doc Emrick (the announcer) says "and the Blues on the bench realize they are going to be champions," I still get a lump in my throat.

When I watched it live, at some point in the final few seconds I would describe myself as in stunned silence.  I knew what was happening and appreciated it, but I just sat there and soaked it up.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

22 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

If the writer of the piece had a clue, there might be something worth talking about. 

20 hours ago, rayzor said:

Read it...and came to the following conclusions.

1) he's a hack writer (sounds more like someone trying to impress on a message board than a professional writer)

2) he doesn't like mobile QBs

3) he's a  bitter TB fan

4) he's talking out of his ass

What I noticed from the article is how the author off-handedly and snarkly dismissed the rest of our team as having no possibility of winning any games at all, including the coaches. He wrote it as if he thinks Sam has to win our games all by himself because that is our only chance. But, hey, we're not the Jets.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

People's opinions are not "truths".

It is not an opinion to state that Sam Darnold has struggled in his first three seasons as an nfl quarterback. That is a truth. The opinion begins when we discuss what his future holds. None of us know. Not me and not you just because you have posted here over 100 thousand times.

13 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I'll be honest.  I have game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals for 2019 on the TiVo.  I've watched it probably 25 times since June 12, 2019.  To this day, there is a point when the clock winds down to 12 seconds and Doc Emrick (the announcer) says "and the Blues on the bench realize they are going to be champions," I still get a lump in my throat.

When I watched it live, at some point in the final few seconds I would describe myself as in stunned silence.  I knew what was happening and appreciated it, but I just sat there and soaked it up.

The closest I can come to that is rewatching old playoff and championship games.

I will admit to having rewatched Super Bowl 38 once or twice. I just tend to turn it off before the ending.

And yeah, I recorded Super Bowl 50, but I deleted it without ever watching it and vowed to never ever look at it again.

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

It is not an opinion to state that Sam Darnold has struggled in his first three seasons as an nfl quarterback. That is a truth. The opinion begins when we discuss what his future holds. None of us know. Not me and not you just because you have posted here over 100 thousand times.

Bad results are historical. The reasons behind those results are debatable.

There's an extensive and well presented discussion in another thread about the balance between Darnold and the jets. You should probably check that out.

59 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

You should be able to tell if your QB signing from the Jets was a good move fairly quickly.  

The only way we're going to know early on is if the results are bad. Just like with Teddy last year and lots of backup QBs looking good in brief stretches, a QB's best chance to look good is playing on a system where there's no or very little relevant tape available for DCs to study. If Darnold doesn't look pretty good early on its going to be a huge red flag. By Halloween we'll probably know what we have. If he starts good and is still holding strong at that point then we might be onto something.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Bad results are historical. The reasons behind those results are debatable.

There's an extensive and well presented discussion in another thread about the balance between Darnold and the jets. You should probably check that out.

I've seen it I need to go through it more but I stand by what I have said all along. This all hinges on his ability to process the field and improve his decision making. We can only hope the staff bring him along quickly because we both know patience is limited in sports Teddy Bridgewater learned this instantly in his brief stint. But more than that the protection has to be up to par or his decision making could very well revert back to his rookie days. Lost in all the sauce of hope and rainbows is the fact that once again the Panthers elected not to go the direct route with left tackle. We took a promising prospect with potential but we have seen this story play out before we're just hoping we finally struck gold. Another aspect to keep an eye on is center our starter has dealt with injury issues and we don't have much else behind him but even he has had his struggles. Hopefully some luck finally goes our way this season.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

Retreads aren't sexy that's for sure.   How quickly we'll see results....in that respect, Darnold is going to get a better shake than Bridgewater.  Sam will have a full preseason.  Teddy didn't get that.  Teams with lots of transition last year were certainly at a disadvantage.  I was really surprised we were close in so many games.

Sam will also have a better team.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sure, dude 😆

As far as the Jets poster, I'm not even sure who that is. The only former Jets posters I've seen have been negative about Darnold.

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

Maybe it was the one who got banned for rooting for the Jets in game one.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Don't know. I missed that.

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

You're lucky.  It was a lousy post.

I followed Sam over here so I thought I was being called out.   wtf?

I actually was a Jets poster.  I'm guessing who Linville is referring to is someone else(maybe).    When I saw that the Jets did Sam dirty, I decided to finally ditch them after so many years of hoping beyond hope they'd remove their heads out of their ass as an organization.

I think Sam will excel on this team in every way so to the resident Negative-Nancy's here, please excuse me if I have optimism that THAT will happen. 🙄

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Sam will also have a better team.

I followed Sam over here so I thought I was being called out.   wtf?

I actually was a Jets poster.  I'm guessing who Linville is referring to is someone else(maybe).    When I saw that the Jets did Sam dirty, I decided to finally ditch them after so many years of hoping beyond hope they'd remove their heads out of their ass as an organization.

I think Sam will excel on this team in every way so to the resident Negative-Nancy's here, please excuse me if I have optimism that THAT will happen. 🙄

Welcome to the party.  I'm new too, but I'm willing to bet we lost some when Cam left...I was really pissed about that....we couldn't even get a 6th rounder for him.  Tragedy really.

• Pie 1