• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christensen’s grade per the Panthers

2 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I can see where it looks like that.  I was bristling at the "entire league knew", as if there was consensus, not controversy.  I'm trying to say other teams miss a lot too, the profiles list strengths and weaknesses and the overall draft grades given are often off from where they taken and then don't predict NFL performance or durability as exemplified by our own line with some serviceable UDFAs and horrid early rounders.

Hindsight 20/20 and all that.  

Yeah, the knocks were pretty universal and consistent. That ends up being the same for most professional evaluators, do you see glass half full or glass half empty?

Everyone misses in the NFL but trading up to get a bust magnifies that error immensely. Furthermore, Hurney had such an extensive track record of making that mistake. It just seemed doomed from early on.

Sadly, that ended up being the case.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think a lot rides on our QB experiment and the OL. I have less overall concerns with the defense, although we do need to consider thar could go South, as well. It is a VERY young unit. They might take take lumps than we think.

I expect lumps. As long as I see continual growth I am quite ok with it.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think a lot rides on our QB experiment and the OL.

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

I was trying to look for BC's performance against good competition.  So I watched some tape.  The guy is not a mauler, he's a frustrating moving wall for opponents.  He doesn't even try to put them in the dirt, just keep them from making the play which he succeeds at most of the time.

He faced Payton Turner from Houston, 1st rounder to Saints.  Now Houston moves their guys around a lot so he wasn't up against him every play.  BC largely did the job.  One play though Payton juked, went inside and got the sack.  

BYU OL vs Houston 2020 - YouTube

• Pie 1

58 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

With 17 games, it seems more likely that 9 or 10 games might not do the job.  

Exactly.  The AFC was hot last year and a 10 win Dolphins team was on the outside looking in and that was obviously still on a 16 game schedule.

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Agreed. It is about progression and moving in the right direction. I don't think any of us is expecting an elite unit this season. 

I want to see that we are moving in that direction though. Big improvements in coverage and 3rd down conversions. Pass rush and sack totals tick upward. More solid against the run. 

• Pie 2

24 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I was trying to look for BC's performance against good competition.  So I watched some tape.  The guy is not a mauler, he's a frustrating moving wall for opponents.  He doesn't even try to put them in the dirt, just keep them from making the play which he succeeds at most of the time.

He faced Payton Turner from Houston, 1st rounder to Saints.  Now Houston moves their guys around a lot so he wasn't up against him every play.  BC largely did the job.  One play though Payton juked, went inside and got the sack.  

BYU OL vs Houston 2020 - YouTube

I don't really have much hope he is going to be our answer at LT, so hopefully he can make an impact at OG. Given where he was drafted, if he is ultimately a good, versatile utility backup OL, that's acceptable. Would prefer him to become a multi-year, effective starter but it won't be a five alarm fire if he isn't.

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't really have much hope he is going to be our answer at LT, so hopefully he can make an impact at OG. Given where he was drafted, if he is ultimately a good, versatile utility backup OL, that's acceptable. Would prefer him to become a multi-year, effective starter but it won't be a five alarm fire if he isn't.

How would you compare him to Scott who had 4 starts against the Bucs, Lions,Det,WFT?

I'm wondering if at one point we will have 2 UDFA from Grambling starting on our line.

Edited by SBBlue

My take on Christensen is he may be our best option at LT this season.  I had my hopes for Sewell, but the Lions screwed that up.  Next draft we take the franchise LT.  Brady may surprise us, but I think he will at least be serviceable, more so than our other options.  Will he give up some pressures/sacks? Sure, especially early, but as long as he progresses and gives up fewer pressures/sacks as the season goes on, I would consider that a win for for him. 

Right now, I have him beating out Irving, Scott and Little for LT.  His OTAs and camp would have to be pretty unspectacular for me to change my mind on that.  He is a rookie, so you never know how they will do in their first camp.

• Pie 1

On 6/1/2021 at 10:16 AM, AU-panther said:

Unless something crazy happens Moton and Erving are going to be your tackles this year.  Just look at the contracts.

I would love for Christenson to become one of the best LTs in the league but you have to be realistic.

How many good LTs are there actually in the league? 10-12

How old are some of them? late 30s

How many have of them have been drafted in the last 10-15 years? 100-200

The fact is the odds are against him.  Honestly the team knows that and that is why they just didn't chase need at LT.  They probably felt really good about Sewell and after that not so much.  That is why you didn't see a Slater or Darrisaw pick.

Even if he becomes a good LT, I could see him staring as a back up or guard.  Honestly if he becomes an above average guard its a good pick.  If he becomes a decent swing tackle its a good pick.  3rd round picks are cheap.  

I'm just not convinced he is going to fulfill everyone's wish for that elite LT.

Next to QB LT is probably the hardest position to fill.  Even if you want to spend a high pick or big money in free agency there is no guarantee you are going to find one.  Even positions like edge and WR there are usually some sure things in free agency if you are willing to spend.  The same really can't be said about LTs, there just isn't many of them considered elite.

I agree. I dont think he will start at LT. I think he might start at LG sometime this year to get him used to the speed of the game, with a plan to let him compete for the LT spot in camp next year, or maybe give him a shot at LT later this season if there is an injury and he has played well at guard. I dont think many LT are ready to be thrown to the wolves starting immediately their rookie season. 

I also agree with the travelle wharton comparisons. Its possible that he will be a monster left guard and a serviceable backup LT, and if that happens that would be great as well.

I dont think we will see hi. At LT until at least the end of the season or next year at the earliest.

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

This is essentially the core of the problem. 

It's just a message board. Calm down.

OMG dude. It's becoming borderline creepy how obsessed with me you have become. But please. Quit quoting me.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 45catfan said:

My take on Christensen is he may be our best option at LT this season.  I had my hopes for Sewell, but the Lions screwed that up.  Next draft we take the franchise LT.  Brady may surprise us, but I think he will at least be serviceable, more so than our other options.  Will he give up some pressures/sacks? Sure, especially early, but as long as he progresses and gives up fewer pressures/sacks as the season goes on, I would consider that a win for for him. 

Right now, I have him beating out Irving, Scott and Little for LT.  His OTAs and camp would have to be pretty unspectacular for me to change my mind on that.  He is a rookie, so you never know how they will do in their first camp.

I thought Finesser should have not trade the 2nd pick and drafted Eichenburg. He had the best chance to start this season, last real LT in the draft. I just do not see how a 32 inch arm Christ is going to work as a LT, unless they go FULL zone blocking w/ heavy movement(which would hurt Brown and Moore...). Chirst ends up at OG, LG and thats where my odds are. LT just needs to be at the top of needs (unless ginger...) AGAIN next year....

Ive been holding this back, Im super disappointed in not drafting a Center. I know Elf was added via FA, just not a fan at all. Center should have been a draft pick(one in the 2-5 range). I believe in recent years its gained the most value and some think it has more value than LT. We truly need both Erv and elf to not have the same type of season as their last three.

Edited by Basbear

6 hours ago, SBBlue said:

I think Scott did just fine last year.  I think he's going to give BC a run for his money.  I'm really interested to see if David Moore blossoms like Scott.

There is some intriguing talent on that line. Going to be fun watching it all play out. Just be average to start, and improve as the year goes on. Is that too much to ask?

• Pie 1