• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PJ Walker - Offseason

Tinamedina

1 hour ago, Ready 2 Win said:

Man is working to be a part of the NFL.  Regardless of the success he has or doesn't have he is putting in FAR more effort for his dream than most are willing to for their own dreams. 

World full of haters

So is Greg Little.

Nobody's against the idea of Greg Little becoming a franchise left tackle, but given what we know, any prediction that it's gonna happen is likely to be met with... skepticism.

(Read: laughter)

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Poo 1

18 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

What are the chances a legit backup is cut? I'm sure there is a chance but it's not goingto be significant. I hope something happens.

I guess the question is how much more "legit" do they have to be for them to be an improvement over our current backups.

The chances of a high caliber backup being available are slim. More likely it will be a couple of old veterans moving towards being over the hill(doesn't seem to fit the general philosophy of our organization currently) or some young, raw QB's that just didn't stick. In the latter case, how much of an improvement would they be over two guys that have WAY more time in the same playbook and system.

Those are some other reasons I don't really think we will be going QB dumpster diving unless one of our current two backups gets injured.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So is Greg Little.

Nobody's against the idea of Greg Little becoming a franchise left tackle, but given what we know, any prediction that it's gonna happen is likely to be met with... skepticism.

You know, the 4 Man Rush(best Panthers related podcast, IMO) did an episode recently covering some of the issues that players deal with that fans generally gloss over. Highly suggest listening to it. 

I mention it because although a lot of a us have very legit concerns or questions about a LOT of the players on this roster, as fans we also lean way too heavily into personally attacking or just plain being vicious towards our own players. Hence why I think all the trashing of PJ should get dialed back a little. There is no sense in ripping into him or trashing him(or even Greg Little) in some of the ways that happen here.

PJ is just doing what he can to be prepared. We can argue all day about whether he will be successful but there is no reason to just summarily trash a player that isn't being a knucklehead. He is just doing his best. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I guess the question is how much more "legit" do they have to be for them to be an improvement over our current backups.

The chances of a high caliber backup being available are slim. More likely it will be a couple of old veterans moving towards being over the hill(doesn't seem to fit the general philosophy of our organization currently) or some young, raw QB's that just didn't stick. In the latter case, how much of an improvement would they be over two guys that have WAY more time in the same playbook and system.

Those are some other reasons I don't really think we will be going QB dumpster diving unless one of our current two backups gets injured.

An over the hill vet is exactly what I'd hope for but there don't seem to be many of those like there use to be. I'd be ecstatic with a Beurerlein or Delhomme but they don't seem to exist. Alex Smith, if not retired, would the the type I'd want. 

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You know, the 4 Man Rush(best Panthers related podcast, IMO) did an episode recently covering some of the issues that players deal with that fans generally gloss over. Highly suggest listening to it. 

I mention it because although a lot of a us have very legit concerns or questions about a LOT of the players on this roster, as fans we also lean way too heavily into personally attacking or just plain being vicious towards our own players. Hence why I think all the trashing of PJ should get dialed back a little. There is no sense in ripping into him or trashing him(or even Greg Little) in some of the ways that happen here.

PJ is just doing what he can to be prepared. We can argue all day about whether he will be successful but there is no reason to just summarily trash a player that isn't being a knucklehead. He is just doing his best. 

c3

Edited by mrcompletely11

Just now, Moo Daeng said:

An over the hill vet is exactly what I'd hope for but there don't seem to be many of those like there use to be. I'd be ecstatic with a Beurerlein or Delhomme but they don't seem to exist. Alex Smith, if not retired, would the the type I'd want. 

The issue is that a fair amount of the available older veteran former starters still want at least a shot at starting. I don't think we would even remotely offer that here, although I definitely wouldn't have been against signing someone like Andy Dalton as an insurance for Darnold. That doesn't really seem to fit with what the staff really wants to do. 

Furthermore, it's harder to find a cheap option for a good journeyman backup QB in the current market. Some of those top tier #2 QB's are getting a hefty chunk of change. 

14 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Like the way some folks talk about Sam Darnold, for example?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Like the way some folks talk about Sam Darnold, for example?

Sure. There is no reason for us to get as personal as we sometimes do. Darnold is doing the best he can. Not everyone is capable of being an elite NFL player. Darnold didn't draft himself.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Sure. There is no reason for us to get as personal as we sometimes do. Darnold is doing the best he can. Not everyone is capable of being an elite NFL player. Darnold didn't draft himself.

I have nothing against Walker, or Little for that matter. Likewise, I had nothing personal against Marty Hurney.

But the reality is that some people aren't very good at football. And it's not a personal insult to point that out.

Walker isn't an NFL quarterback (neither is Grier, for that matter) and Little isn't an NFL tackle. Kudos to them for putting in the work, but I seriously doubt that's going to change.

• Beer 2

How many teams have really good back up QBs?

There aren't 32 good starting QBs.

Lets be honest, our starter by most accounts wasn't a quality starter last year, and now everyone is worried about our back up?  

Maybe everyone would feel better if we had some established vet with a name that everyone recognizes, but in reality he probably isn't that good anyway, hence the reason he is available.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

So is Greg Little.

weird how you steer this to a player only you are talking about. Are you his agent?