Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

What's the worst case scenario with Sam Darnold this year?


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, KSpan said:

Quantity doesn't automatically equal quality.

True. 

Draft position doesn't equal quality (LIttle). 

Pro-bowl status doesn't equal quality (Matt Kahlil, Okung).

Apparently we looked for wide-zone fit and versatility in our FAs.  We looked for wide-zone fit, lack of injury, and multi-season experience for our rookies.

I agree that FAs don't want to play for a team in the throws of a rebuild and their services are in high demand.  It looks like it limited our choices and may have forced us to pay a premium.

We invested in our O-line thru the draft and FA, some say not enough and they may be right.  Lets at least gets pads on before we determine that.

 

 

  • Beer 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

 

We brought in 3 FA Linemen, drafted 2, and brought in 1 UDFA. Care to reevaluate your claim?

NO! Three second rate FA, drafted two lower than he should have, a so what, UDFA. Maybe it's you who should reevaluate, get the stars out of your eyes boy. Only time will tell how good those draftees will be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, glitchh8 said:

NO! Three second rate FA, drafted two lower than he should have, a so what, UDFA. Maybe it's you who should reevaluate, get the stars out of your eyes boy. Only time will tell how good those draftees will be.

 

You may not like who we brought in, which is obvious from this posts. But it will not change who we DID bring in.

 

I guess you are another one of those not so happy Panther fans. The team just isn't doing enough to make you happy. You don't care that it is only year 2 of the Rhule regime. You ain't happy. And by George you want folks to know.

 

I love how you say. "Only time will tell how good those draftees will be." AFTER you rant about who we brought in. lol Like that makes your post just a little more sane.

Edited by iamhubby1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2021 at 10:02 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. Purgatory is the worst case scenario. At the end of the season we're left pretty sure Darnold isn't the answer and way too far down the draft order to have any shot at a Howell or Rattler. Better hope some other QB prospects emerge.

News flash, we’re already in QB purgatory. Y’all are just have too much homerism to see it. The fact y’all think Sam Darnold could even potentially be anyone’s long term answer is laughable. He’ll be what Teddy was last year with a few more big plays and a lot more mistakes. Team will be around 8-9 range and another wasted season with our skill players getting older and eventually we’ll look at guys like CMC like we view Cam. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

News flash, we’re already in QB purgatory. Y’all are just have too much homerism to see it. The fact y’all think Sam Darnold could even potentially be anyone’s long term answer is laughable. He’ll be what Teddy was last year with a few more big plays and a lot more mistakes. Team will be around 8-9 range and another wasted season with our skill players getting older and eventually we’ll look at guys like CMC like we view Cam. 

 

You know, you're not the only Huddler that does this. Lump the whole Huddle together to make a point. Then get snarky, like you  know some otherworldly secret.

 

I mean, it's fine that you are not impressed. But please don't push your misguided perceptions on the rest of us. Mkay?

 

Believe it or not. There are some smart people on teh Huddlez. They tend to make their own judgements. So laughing, and being snarky, may not be the best way to win them over. Just an FYI.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2021 at 9:02 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. Purgatory is the worst case scenario. At the end of the season we're left pretty sure Darnold isn't the answer and way too far down the draft order to have any shot at a Howell or Rattler. Better hope some other QB prospects emerge.

Not worse case, if we know he isn’t the answer then maybe the purgatory isn’t long term.  Maybe we aren’t in the position to draft a top 10 guy but at least we know we need to and might the following year.

Worst case is actually us thinking he is the answer when he isn’t.  What if plays just good enough to warrant a big contract but then never lives up to it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Not worse case, if we know he isn’t the answer then maybe the purgatory isn’t long term.  Maybe we aren’t in the position to draft a top 10 guy but at least we know we need to and might the following year.

Worst case is actually us thinking he is the answer when he isn’t.  What if plays just good enough to warrant a big contract but then never lives up to it.

 

 

Nope, nope, that just won't do. lol

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 4:45 AM, 1of10Charnatives said:

I just want to throw this out there:

The best case scenario is quite obviously he plays great on a new team with a fresh start and quality skill position players around him. That's a no brainer and what I'm sure we're all hoping for.

But after that I think it gets a little interesting. I don't think the worst case scenario is Darnold flops hard. If he does, we go back to the drawing board and yeah it sucks, but we'll have a high pick in the next draft if he does and we're only out meaningfully a 2nd rounder. Even if Darnold fails fast and obviously, that was worth the shot.

I think the worst case scenario is if Darnold plays well enough to give us a middle of the road record with a rapidly improving roster around him, but not well enough that it's obvious he should be the guy we build around for the future. What if Darnold shows flashes this year and teases everyone and is able to show just enough that he *might* be the guy, but then gets hurt somewhere middle to the later part of the season, say after we've won six games or so. That's the one that keeps me up at night remembering the endless parade of 7-9, 9-7 seasons that we've been stuck with far too often.

Don't get me wrong, I want him to succeed. But if he doesn't or can't, I'd rather him fail hard than tease us and the coaching staff. What worries me is my own perception that this coaching staff might be overvaluing it's ability to coach guys up and overemphasizing raw physical traits and talent which they can't coach. Maybe they turn out to be great at that at the pro level, but at this juncture I say it's still an open question that could lead to us getting stuck in a very familiar feeling rut with a talented roster but a middling qb.

These are the kinds of thoughts I have when I'm bored and I've already watched all the pr0n.

That's right.

All of it.

Except that weird @#%$ with furries. If you like that you need therapy. And probably a cattle prod.

This roster is getting better and better.  Offensively and Defensively.  Darnold doesn't have be perfect but as you said Mediocre would be worse.  I think if he can guide us to 10- or 11 wins and a wild card spot that would be a good enough to stay on track with him.

Barely .500 or worse.  I think  you'll see Tepper pushing the buttons for Watson.  We were leaders in the clubhouse until his legal woos started.  I know many of you have dropped off the Watson bandwagon and rightfully so but Watson with this team is a Super Bowl team.

  Last thing we want to do is middle of the road.   Too low in the draft order for one of the top prospects and too high to reach for a graded 2nd round QB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...