• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christensen ...

Zod

15 minutes ago, CRA said:

Correct.  I think the right call was to still draft Fields. 

But even I thought (for me it was a fear) they were going to draft Horn leading up to the draft.  

Adding Darnold simply changed things.  I think they simply took all top QBs off their board.  And it wasn’t because they think Darnold was a better option than them in a vacuum.  It’s was because the smart move at the time was to get Darnold.   And they did it.  So they adjusted their plans. 

It is going to be very interesting to see this play out.  

Fields took the most wicked shot to his torso and ribs  that I have ever seen on a football field 

He then comes back in the  game and totally guts a top 3 opponent in the biggest game of the year.  I have no idea how he even played in the Championship game

the NFL is a tough guy’s sport.  

Give me someone like that over many QBs every day of the week and twice on Sunday 

John Madden ‘big time players make big plays in big games.”

Madden’s statement is simple and true.  If you don’t have that at QB, in the NFL,  you have nothing in this era of pro football

Until I see Darnold step up, execute, from behind against a top caliber opponent in a game that matters, he is ‘just a guy ‘.

Look at the playoffs, not many ‘just a guy’ in that mix.

Edited by raleigh-panther

I'm on the ''should have drafted Fields'' train, I said this leading up to and after the draft. I will support the QB I have. and Horn's talent likely can't be denied. 

But an elite athletically gifted QB, plus the rookie QB salary, plus not giving Sam 18.8M in 2022 to have even more cap to retain our best is the smart move to me long-term. 

We are a rebuilding team, and when you do that, you use new bricks, not recycled ones. I think they simply got a guy they are comfortable with, if they turn him around and the team is 7-9 wins they all look like genius' but if this flakes, IMO Rhule is on a short least as this will be two years in a row that '' you got your guy'' and now he's gone. 

Sam has 3 years of NFL experience, to me this is a put up or shut up year, you'd have more leniency with a rookie, even if he sat behind Sam, that's what killed it for me, KC had a perennial playoff team, and still took a QB. We're not GB with Rodgers, we have ZERO QB options behind Sam, and if he flakes, or is injured we're in the same boat in 2022. Bad planning IMO.

• Flames 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Except it's deeply flawed.

If a team genuinely thought a guy was worth a third overall pick, there's no way in hell they'd bypass that guy at number eight. The whole idea is just plain goofy.

But the reason this goofy idea keeps getting pushed is so that people can continue to tell themselves that Darnold was only insurance just in case we couldn't get somebody better.

He wasn't. The Panthers genuinely valued him enough to make him the center of their plans.

I know that idea causes wailing and gnashing of teeth, and yes, some people on here are going to be pining for Justin Fields forever, but suggestions like this lead to a pretty stupid narrative.

Again, I don't know if they're going to be proven right. None of us do. Hell, that question may not even be answered by next offseason.

But this whole thing of trying to spin it's so that the Panthers were somehow forced to stick with Darnold despite having their hearts set on Fields is one of the most dumbass things I've seen on here in a long time.

They didn't want him, people.

Get over it.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly think it's that simple. There were reasons to think that we would take Fields if he was there. There were "reports". Those reports were just incorrect. There are lots of reports leading up to every draft and a lot of them prove to be incorrect in hindsight. It is what it is. It's still fun to follow and discuss.

To argue that we would've taken Fields at #3 overall and chose to pass on him at #8 because of the trade for Darnold is essentially arguing that the Panthers' front office is dumb and incompetent. I really hope that's not the case. If Fields turns out to be great, I'm going to chalk it up as poor QB evaluation. 

You know what's dumb? You two are arguing a point that  @LinvilleGorge misquoted in the first place. Now that's funny.

Edited by iamhubby1

5 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

You know what's dumb? You two are arguing a point that  @LinvilleGorge misquoted in the first place. Now that's funny.

You really have to stop barging into cordial conversations with your attitude and insults. It's getting old. Everyone here is just talking football, just like they were before you derailed the thread originally with your emotion and inability to comprehend that opinions can differ. Stop derailing threads with this stuff. Understand that you're the cause of it and knock it off.

Matt Rhule being a college coach probably knows Fields better than most. If he didn't want him, it was probably for good reason. He has the reputation of having all of the physical tools but never living up to that on the field. He was playing with elite talent and should have just steamrolled everyone. He gets jittery any time he feels pressure, has issues getting the ball to guys when they don't have separation, and often panics and doesn't go through his reads. The pro scouts were never as high on him as the media was because of all of these reasons. 

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You really have to stop barging into cordial conversations with your attitude and insults. It's getting old. Everyone here is just talking football, just like they were before you derailed the thread originally with your emotion and inability to comprehend that opinions can differ. Stop derailing threads with this stuff. Understand that you're the cause of it and knock it off.

First. It is a message board. I just added my message. It is not my responsibility to make you like it. 

Second. I have not used any words that @Mr. Scothasn't used in this very thread. Did you talk to him?

Third. Stop with the "EMO" bull. That is a cop out. Just because I call you out. Does not make me emotional. 

Fourth. I didn't expect you to take responsibility for your actions. After all, you have never done it before. 

Lastly. Nothing I said was false. You misquoted @AU-panther. Now @Mr. Scotis parroting that falsehood. I just wanted folks to know that little fact.

Just now, iamhubby1 said:

First. It is a message board. I just added my message. It is not my responsibility to make you like it. 

Second. I have not used any words that @Mr. Scothasn't used in this very thread. Did you talk to him?

Third. Stop with the "EMO" bull. That is a cop out. Just because I call you out. Does not make me emotional. 

Fourth. I didn't expect you to take responsibility for your actions. After all, you have never done it before. 

Lastly. Nothing I said was false. You misquoted @AU-panther. Now @Mr. Scotis parroting that falsehood. I just wanted folks to know that little fact.

Listen, thread after thread has featured cordial football conversation before you come barging in full of emotion and feeling attacked by anyone with a differing opinion. You're free to voice your opinion. All I'm telling you to do is knock off the attacks. That's not going to continue. You're not going to keep derailing threads with this stuff.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Listen, thread after thread has featured cordial football conversation before you come barging in full of emotion and feeling attacked by anyone with a differing opinion. You're free to voice your opinion. All I'm telling you to do is knock off the attacks. That's not going to continue. You're not going to keep derailing threads with this stuff.

Dang dude. Chill. If you are going to threaten me. You have to threaten all these Trolls, as well as everyone that posts poo. You will also have to have a talk with yourself as well. Because you  are capable of insulting folks too. 

But yeah, you don't like that I pointed out you misquoted @AU-panther, and you seem to take it personal. That is a you problem, not mine. 

You say there needs to be differing opinions to make the board go. Why does that not apply to me? 

I called you out. You cannot handle it. Now you are trying to pull rank. lol

1 minute ago, iamhubby1 said:

Dang dude. Chill. If you are going to threaten me. You have to threaten all these Trolls, as well as everyone that posts poo. You will also have to have a talk with yourself as well. Because you  are capable of insulting folks too. 

But yeah, you don't like that I pointed out you misquoted @AU-panther, and you seem to take it personal. That is a you problem, not mine. 

You say there needs to be differing opinions to make the board go. Why does that not apply to me? 

I called you out. You cannot handle it. Now you are trying to pull rank. lol

We had this "conversation". You're just trying to re-derail this thread again. Stop. Look at the conversation. It's been cordial. Don't fug it up with this same drivel again. That's all.

37 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

Matt Rhule being a college coach probably knows Fields better than most. If he didn't want him, it was probably for good reason. He has the reputation of having all of the physical tools but never living up to that on the field. He was playing with elite talent and should have just steamrolled everyone. He gets jittery any time he feels pressure, has issues getting the ball to guys when they don't have separation, and often panics and doesn't go through his reads. The pro scouts were never as high on him as the media was because of all of these reasons. 

Matt Rhule coached at Baylor for one season (while Fields was in college) and had no common opponents with Ohio St and a different conference. Don’t see that giving him a inside take. 

Never lived up to it on the field? He went undefeated two straight seasons at Ohio St.   His only two losses were in the college playoffs where he outplayed Trevor Lawrence in BOTH matchups.    Who is the last college QB to live up to the hype while college.  Must be a high bar.  

my most concerning take is Matt Rhule has never had great QB play (even adjusted for his conference) on any team he has coached.  

• Pie 2

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

We had this "conversation". You're just trying to re-derail this thread again. Stop. Look at the conversation. It's been cordial. Don't fug it up with this same drivel again. That's all.

Sooo... Am I supposed to get your permission to enter a thread? lol

You quit misquoting folks, then belittling them, and I will leave you alone.

Look, you misquoted @AU-panther. Now you and @Mr. Scotare running with that misquote. @AU-panthertried to explain, and you two brush him off. You two have used words like stupid, dumb, silly, and goofy. Two stellar Huddlerz right?

I just want folks to know what is going on. That you started this. You  can end it by taking responsibility. But we both know that will never happen.

I am done with you. I said my piece.

Just now, Ace420 said:

Yea, I think we were toying with the league and hiding how good Cam really was though, because he came out and threw like 450 yards and a few TDs in the opener IIRC. 

Nah, I just think Cam was a gamer. Honestly, he never really looked great in camp or preseason. Same with Jake.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

Matt Rhule coached at Baylor for one season (while Fields was in college) and had no common opponents with Ohio St and a different conference. Don’t see that giving him a inside take. 

Never lived up to it on the field? He went undefeated two straight seasons at Ohio St.   His only two losses were in the college playoffs where he outplayed Trevor Lawrence in BOTH matchups.    Who is the last college QB to live up to the hype while college.  Must be a high bar.  

my most concerning take is Matt Rhule has never had great QB play (even adjusted for his conference) on any team he has coached.  

Yeah, Fields was a stud in college. That doesn't mean that will translate to the NFL, but to insinuate he didn't live up to expectations just isn't accurate. He was always basically considered the #2 QB in his class behind Lawrence and that's what he proved to be in college too.

Honestly, Rhule's teams never excelled on offense, period. His teams were always driven by defense and I'm kinda starting to wonder if Phil Snow isn't the actual engine that drove Rhule's success. That guy impressed me working with what he had last season and I honestly thought that he would prove to be in well over his head at the NFL level. Brady was basically what I assumed. Showed a lot of promise but also showed some room to grow situationally. Snow was the one making chicken salad out of chicken poo. Everyone expected our D to be at or near the bottom of the league, so to finish middle of the pack was significantly overperforming vs. expectations.

17 minutes ago, CRA said:

Do you think these coaches only know about players once they're in college? Rhule has probably known about Fields since he was a sophmore in high school. 

and yes, that is not living up to expectations. With a roster as loaded as Ohio States you need to be winning heismans and championships. The Ohio State fans I know were always disappointed with him on the field.