• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Steve Smith be a First Ballot HOF?

SBBlue

Will Steve Smith be a First Ballot HOF?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Will Steve Smith be a First Ballot HOF?

• Hell yes. The man's a legend.
    • Not yet...but it is inevitable.
    • Nope, never. Its a cruel world. Ice up son.

2 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

The only reason I say not yet is there's too many ahead of him right now. They really need to expand the amount of players that qualify to be let in. There's just too many deserving on the list right now and it's causing a log jam

But he is better than the others being considered. 

More yardage than Wayne, Johnson, Bolden and Holt. The least receptions if the five. Only 1 receiving TD behind Boldin and Wayne. He was the last WR to get the triple crown. Tied for the most All Pro selections in the group and 3rd in Pro Bowl selections(2 behind the leader).

This is without mentioning his 6 career return TD's.

To me, it's easily Smitty in that group. The only way he is out is if they value SB rings more than those stats.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

But he is better than the others being considered. 

More yardage than Wayne, Johnson, Bolden and Holt. The least receptions if the five. Only 1 receiving TD behind Boldin and Wayne. He was the last WR to get the triple crown. Tied for the most All Pro selections in the group and 3rd in Pro Bowl selections(2 behind the leader).

This is without mentioning his 6 career return TD's.

To me, it's easily Smitty in that group. The only way he is out is if they value SB rings more than those stats.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, it's just hard to predict how these guys will vote sometimes. I think he's a first ballot without a doubt, who knows what's in the kool-aid on voting day. 

• Pie 1

How many can get in per year? 

Got to think finalist that didn’t get in last time could have an edge.  Fair or unfair.   Two former Panthers were finalist last go round and didn’t make it.  

Sam Mills and Jared Allen.   Positionally, I’d jump 89 over all the WRs even if a finalist.  Got to think Allen and Ware got decent odds. They basically sit at sacks where 89 is in yards.  Everyone ahead of them is basically a HOFer that has been eligible.

29 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying, it's just hard to predict how these guys will vote sometimes. I think he's a first ballot without a doubt, who knows what's in the kool-aid on voting day. 

Yeah but that is an entirely different discussion than what you seemed to be saying initially. The "guys ahead of him" argument. That was why I countered like that.

If it comes down to predicting what the voters do, I mean, who knows? I think we can have a discussion on the simple merits of his accomplishments versus his peers, though. I just think the arguments for him statistically and in terms of accolades are stronger than those against him.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

How many can get in per year? 

Got to think finalist that didn’t get in last time could have an edge.  Fair or unfair.   Two former Panthers were finalist last go round and didn’t make it.  

Sam Mills and Jared Allen.   Positionally, I’d jump 89 over all the WRs even if a finalist. 

I think it is what, 5 modern era guys per year? Is that right?

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but that is an entirely different discussion than what you seemed to be saying initially. The "guys ahead of him" argument. That was why I countered like that.

If it comes down to predicting what the voters do, I mean, who knows? I think we can have a discussion on the simple merits of his accomplishments versus his peers, though. I just think the arguments for him statistically and in terms of accolades are stronger than those against him.

I think there's accomplishment voting when it's not deniable like TB12 will be and then there's some it's this guy's turn voting. That's why I think he may not get in first run through. There may be some voting that end up saying others have been waiting. Not that their merits are greater than Smitty, just the length of the wait, that's all. I kind of see it all as multifaceted process. 

• Beer 1