• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thursday joint practice news and tweets

Captain Morgan

just saw this from earlier

1 on 1 notes: - Kenny Moore had two great snaps against DJ Moore on go routes - Rock Ya-Sin had two PBUs in five attempts and ripped the ball out of Krishawn Hogan’s hands after the catch on another - Marvell Tell had issues with flags - Robby Anderson beat Rhodes twice

Just now, My Chuck Dont Matter said:

Wonder how many teams that passed up on Marshall for another receiver in the draft are now wishing they could’ve had him. Teams are so stupid. 

I read where many teams had him off the board due to a medical flag- disginorrete knee. Kicker is Iants wanted and they have slant boy drama hitting high levels and other WR issues(injuries/sucking)

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think it was that disappointing. I could not understand the hype. We are expecting a rookie to turn into Jalen Ramsey. That's absurd. Outside of DJack, it is literally a bunch of relatively unknown quantities. 

It may take them a while to gel and figure it out. We don't need to be better than 2020 today. We need to be better than 2020 by the end of the season.

We've invested heavily in the secondary in recent years. Jackson, Horn, and Chinn represent two 2nd round picks and a top 10 1st rounder. Compare that to our investments in the OL. I expect our OL to suck but I expect our secondary to start looking like they belong.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Maybe one of our new backup QBs was on the Colts side today.  I wouldn't be opposed but considering how shaky the Wentz situation is, they may carry 3.

So who did well? Colin Thompson's name keeps popping up.  Rodney Smith, CJ Saunders.  Thompson is probably kicking Ian Thomas off the squad (well I guess he really didn't need to).  Line wise, Moton and Trent Scott have looked good and the rest have been meh and below. 

The bad: Shaq, Little, Erving, Elflein, Brady C

Erving and Elflein are looking how, well, how they've always looked.  Still very odd signings considering how early we signed them and the marketplace. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd feel better if we had some semblance of a lineup in place. These guys need to have as much time as possible to gel. That we still seem to be in the midst of figuring out who's gonna be playing and where is concerning.

That's what is really irking me with Rhule this camp.  I believe in him as a culture setter and a strategist/tactician, but this poo with the OL is just getting old.  I said it in another thread, but it's like the "if you have 2 QBs, you have none."  We just rotated 3 guys in at the most important position on the offensive line in an intra-squad scrimmage.  That's insane.  Only one of those players has shown the ability to play on the edge and excel at the NFL level...  Let him do it and figure out the rest.  Not only is this game of musical chairs preventing our line from gelling, but if Sam was ever going to have a chance at fixing his issues and saving his career, he needs a competent OL to do so.

Rhule needs to quit messing around and lock in the lineup and go from there.

Imo, Daley deserves to start from what we saw of him when healthy, so I would give him the nod over Elflein.  Scott looked serviceable when filling in last season, so I would give him or Christensen the shot at starting RT.  Give me Moton-Daley-Paradis-Miller-Scott/Christensen.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 4
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

Carolina Blitz
@KeepBlitzin
·
28s
Rhule says overall he wasn’t quite pleased with the play of the offense. Mentioned the lack of precision and specifically pointed out the receiving crew. Says he wouldn’t put the struggles on Darnold. “He was the least of my worries”

I get the frustration but at what point does some level of resentment seep in if we keep throwing our receivers under the bus? If the offense isn't looking good as a whole then pull them together if one part is failing the whole unit is failing let Sam be the glue and the leader and elevate the group. This is a young roster in need of leadership.

• Beer 1

saw this on the Colts board

"Matt Rhule (listening to his presser right now) says they definitely wanted to come to Indy because we're an 11-5 playoff team. He is impressed by our defense, called it physical and says that's where their defense wants to get too (funny because i think they have a good defense).

I get the sense we'll see a better Panthers team in tomorrow's practice, and in the game. "

• Beer 5

3 minutes ago, saX man said:

Maybe one of our new backup QBs was on the Colts side today.  I wouldn't be opposed but considering how shaky the Wentz situation is, they may carry 3.

So who did well? Colin Thompson's name keeps popping up.  Rodney Smith, CJ Saunders.  Thompson is probably kicking Ian Thomas off the squad (well I guess he really didn't need to).  Line wise, Moton and Trent Scott have looked good and the rest have been meh and below. 

The bad: Shaq, Little, Erving, Elflein, Brady C

Erving and Elflein are looking how, well, how they've always looked.  Still very odd signings considering how early we signed them and the marketplace. 

I can give something on TE battle of Thomas vs Thompson. Thompson cost is around 800k and Thomas is 2.2million.....so..... Thomp is the better blocker plus he plays STs. Id see if any other team has a 2.2 LB that is looking for a up side TE..... 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We've invested heavily in the secondary in recent years. Jackson, Horn, and Chinn represent two 2nd round picks and a top 10 1st rounder. Compare that to our investments in the OL. I expect our OL to suck but I expect our secondary to start looking like they belong.

True but Chinn was used as a LB(probably shouldn't have been) in 2020. Horn is literally a rookie. The only one we should expect more from is Jackson.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

That's what is really irking me with Rhule this camp.  I believe in him as a culture setter and a strategist/tactician, but this poo with the OL is just getting old.  I said it in another thread, but it's like the "if you have 2 QBs, you have none."  We just rotated 3 guys in at the most important position on the offensive line in an intra-squad scrimmage.  That's insane.  Only one of those players has shown the ability to play on the edge and excel at the NFL level...  Let him do it and figure out the rest.  Not only is this game of musical chairs preventing our line from gelling, but if Sam was ever going to have a chance at fixing his issues and saving his career, he needs a competent OL to do so.

Imo, Daley deserves to start from what we saw of him when healthy, so I would give him the nod over Elflein.  Scott looked serviceable when filling in last season, so I would give him or Christensen the shot at starting RT.  Give me Moton-Daley-Paradis-Miller-Scott/Christensen.

I'm with you. This isn't college where you have a massive roster, linemen take 2-3 years of development then you only get 1-2 years of actual good play out of them before they're gone to the NFL or gone due to expiring eligibility. This really feels like a college approach to the OL.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Proudiddy said:

Seriously, if Daley proves his injuries were a hiccup to start his career, I think he's a fine linemen to have.  And you're right about Scott being totally serviceable.  Problem sounds like Erving, Elflein, and Brady C.  Which is frustrating because they were our 3 main offseason pickups for the OL.  

My question is: Why bring in competition at the same-ish level for the line rather than focus on an upgrade at one spot?

LT and LG needed upgrades.  We decided to pick the battlebots who had been through a few rounds on the losing end and threw them back in the pit to fight it out.

Still like Rhule but I don't get how we can't find something better than at least Oher these days.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2