• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance

NAS

4 hours ago, pantherj said:

I watched all of Trey Lance's snaps against KC. He played poorly for the most part. Teams with rookie QBs this season will have it rough imo.

Your opinion doesn't jibe with what I've read or seen, and is in disagreement with the analysis I've read. Of course he's still a work in progress, and that's how it was always going to be, but the strides he's making are on point, and his stat line would've looked a whole lot better without the three drops, and without the sacks that weren't his fault.

Andy Reid knows what the deal is:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2021/08/15/kurtenbach-chiefs-coach-andy-reid-praises-poised-trey-lance-after-the-rookies-debut/amp/

Make note:

"For now, Lance is being asked to be a pocket passer — Shanahan doesn’t want teams to have tape on the good stuff."

But Reid sees through Shanahan’s ploy. Even with the incomplete passes and four sacks Lance took, he was pushing the ball downfield. That’s how you need to play the game in 2021. It’s what Kansas City — who is aiming to go to a third-straight Super Bowl —does better than anyone."

• Beer 1

10 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I remember us sending people to Fields’ second day, but thought we skipped Lance’s. Yeah maybe we knew it wasn’t going to be Mac at 3…

You remember correctly. We didn't attend the second one.

As to what we thought, Rhule addresses it in the pre-draft meeting when he does his mock on the whiteboard. His quote at #3 was "We're thinking Jones, although it could be Lance."

8 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I don't think that's what it was at all.  We didn't even exercise his option until after the draft...  so they weren't confident in him.  

What it is starting to appear like, is that Rhule - depending on how Darnold pans out - either doesn't know how to evaluate the QB position, or he doesn't value it.  Many here stated over and over again that letting Cam finish out his last year of his contract was preferred over releasing him and signing a mediocre game manager to a 60M contract, and yet, he chose Bridgewater.  Depending on that Washington game (after Bridgewater singlehandedly lost enough games on the last drive to knock us out of playoff contention), we likely could've had our pick of Lance or Fields...  

Again, hoping for the best, but I have never believed in Darnold.  He has had some good throws in camp, but again, at best, the reviews have been mixed and indicate inconsistency just as he demonstrated in NY.  And if we go through a second season of mediocre QB play, it will be pretty evident that Rhule feels like you can take shortcuts with QB if the rest of the team is well put together - and that just isn't true.  Again, I hope Darnold plays well, but I don't believe in him at all.

It's been confirmed that putting off the Darnold decision was just part of fishing for offers. We were always planning to take his fifth year option.

As to Lance, the word was they didn't think he'd fit our system. That's why they didn't attend his second pro day.

So yes, they were that confident in Darnold, and still are.

Will they turn out to be right?

Guess we'll see.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 5

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

It was an awesome play, but the boxscore shows him going 5/14 overall? Might be a tad early to crown him just yet. That's a 36% completion rate.

Have you read the reports? Three of the incompletions were drops first of all. He was sacked four times, at least two of which where he didn't have a chance. He did almost throw an ill-advised pick. But he is concentrating on being a pocket passer and not just taking off. It was a mixed bag, but there's plenty to be excited about. 

• Beer 1

26 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Your opinion doesn't jibe with what I've read or seen, and is in disagreement with the analysis I've read. Of course he's still a work in progress, and that's how it was always going to be, but the strides he's making are on point, and his stat line would've looked a whole lot better without the three drops, and without the sacks that weren't his fault.

Andy Reid knows what the deal is:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2021/08/15/kurtenbach-chiefs-coach-andy-reid-praises-poised-trey-lance-after-the-rookies-debut/amp/

Make note:

"For now, Lance is being asked to be a pocket passer — Shanahan doesn’t want teams to have tape on the good stuff."

But Reid sees through Shanahan’s ploy. Even with the incomplete passes and four sacks Lance took, he was pushing the ball downfield. That’s how you need to play the game in 2021. It’s what Kansas City — who is aiming to go to a third-straight Super Bowl —does better than anyone."

Dude. He completed 35.7 % of his passes. 😆 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's been confirmed that putting off the Darnold decision was just part of fishing for offers. We were always planning to take his fifth year option.

As to Lance, the word was they didn't think he'd fit our system. That's why they didn't attend his second pro day.

So yes, they were that confident in Darnold, and still are.

Will they turn out to be right?

Guess we'll see.

If they were that set in their ways on it then they have to be right. Hopefully Sam goes off with these new weapons. First in order to accomplish that he needs to be ready and it remains to be seen what difference time off and few ps reps will have on his redemption campaign. None of us can say.

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Have you read the reports? Three of the incompletions were drops first of all. He was sacked four times, at least two of which where he didn't have a chance. He did almost throw an ill-advised pick. But he is concentrating on being a pocket passer and not just taking off. It was a mixed bag, but there's plenty to be excited about. 

No, because honestly I don't care. I paid little attention to Lance because there was no indication we had any interest and I always thought he was the Niners' trade up target anyway so I just never saw him as a real option. I just looked at the boxscore because I saw a Shanny quote that was less than glowing saying that Lance "did some good, did some bad" so I was curious and it was like, "Oh... yeah, I see." Based on the media hype and some of the talk I'd seen I just assumed the guy lit it up like the 4th of July.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No, because honestly I don't care. I paid little attention to Lance because there was no indication we had any interest and I always thought he was the Niners' trade up target anyway so I just never saw him as a real option. I just looked at the boxscore because I saw a Shanny quote that was less than glowing saying that Lance "did some good, did some bad" so I was curious and it was like, "Oh... yeah, I see."

That's understandable.

I just appreciate context.

Once the Niners made it pretty clear they were holding onto Jimmy G, I thought it was obvious they were targeting Lance. Having Jimmy G means they don't have to feel pressured to play Lance too early. Hanging onto Jimmy G plus Shanny's affinity for QBs who can present a threat with their legs just screamed Lance to me. The Mac Jones rumors just never added up to me. He just doesn't fit the mold of a Shanny QB. I just couldn't see Shanny willing to give up a king's ransom to jump up to draft a guy who seems to be the opposite of what he really wants in a QB. Asking a guy to come in and play as a rookie coming from a D1-AA program seems like a disaster waiting to happen, regardless of talent level. It's a huge jump from college to pro. It's a HUGE jump from D1-AA to pro, especially at QB. I know Chinn did it and should've won the DROY award, but we tailored a role for him in our D that allowed him to be comfortable with his current skill set. You can't do that as readily for a QB. If you're not prepared to read a defense and deal with the speed of the game it isn't going to be pretty. Lance is an athlete and he can run, but he's not Cam. There's a reason he didn't run pre-draft. If the rumors were true that he could run 4.5, he would've ran. He ran a confirmed 4.92 in high school. I don't see a guy going from 4.92 to 4.5 while also gaining about 40 pounds. That just doesn't seem realistic.

I'm curious to see how Lance develops and I do think he has the talent to be a franchise NFL QB and I also think he landed in a near ideal situation. We'll just have to see how it works out. I'm definitely not ready to crown him based on one play in a preseason game.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1