• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hubbard’s patience + contact balance

ellis

That play was doomed from the jump.  While it was a really good run in the end, a ton of luck was involved.  FIFTEEN players were falling around all around him, the 16th (Colt player gave up thinking the play was over) and he somehow managed to get through.  The Zylstra block was the other key to the play.  Again great play, but extremely lucky.

• Pie 1

2 other players to give shout outs to for this play: Christensen, even though he was initially pushed around by the DE, he was smart enough not to hold when the DE turned around and negate a big gain. A lot of guys playing in their 1st ever NFL game wouldn't have had that restraint. Marshall, he comes from all the way across the line and darts down the field after Hubbard looking for a downfield block. I loves me a blocking WR.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

That play was doomed from the jump.  While it was a really good run in the end, a ton of luck was involved.  FIFTEEN players were falling around all around him, the 16th (Colt player gave up thinking the play was over) and he somehow managed to get through.  The Zylstra block was the other key to the play.  Again great play, but extremely lucky.

Combo of zero blocking, zero tackling, and a ton of effort and determination from Chuba.

13 minutes ago, ellis said:

Demonstrated those traits as a high volume back in college. Here’s a nice look at his big run yesterday, with a special tip of the hat to Brandon Zylstra. 

Nice.  They really plugged the hole.   Zylstra got shoved across the field but manage to block just enough to let Chuba bump it outside.  

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Combo of zero blocking, zero tackling, and a ton of effort and determination from Chuba.

I'm not taking anything away form Chuba, but how often can you count on a RB making it out of a huge scrum like that?  I would have the same reaction no matter who the RB was on that play.  It was a cluster fug that he somehow managed to avoid.  Again, the Zylstra block is what really sprung him.  Otherwise it would have been a short gain and we wouldn't be even talking about it.

15 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

When players play hard through the end of the whistle,  it's not luck. Yes, the play broke down, but with his desire to not be done, he got out of there, and the block broke him free. 

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I'm not taking anything away form Chuba, but how often can you count on a RB making it out of a huge scrum like that?  I would have the same reaction no matter who the RB was on that play.  It was a cluster fug that he somehow managed to avoid.  Again, the Zylstra block is what really sprung him.  Otherwise it would have been a short gain and we wouldn't be even talking about it.

Not very often. The OL will definitely hear an earful about that play.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

I count 6 missed tackles.  Three in the pile and 3 as he bounced it outside.  Great determination, and a ton of luck.

yeah, luck happens.  My favorite 89 play is that one where he broke what appeared to be 57 tackles vs Houston and came out of that pile for a long and easy TD.  Lot of luck involved.  But probably still required 89 to take advantage of that scenario.  Despite all that luck, a lot of that was still 89. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, pantherclaw said:

When players play hard through the end of the whistle,  it's not luck. Yes, the play broke down, but with his desire to not be done, he got out of there, and the block broke him free. 

Yes, a complete break down of the play and 6 missed tackles is luck.  I never said he didn't play hard or quit on the play.