• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grier or PJ

24 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

And PJ looked better against the Colts.  In truth, both our backups looked better when they played in the first half, which might be due to the personnel they had around them. 

Fwiw, PJ is more mobile, which might be a necessity if our line is as bad as some think.  

But I agree with Zod.  If Darnold goes down more than a game or two, we are looking at another long season.

Trading accuracy for mobility is a sh-tty deal.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Trading accuracy for mobility is a sh-tty deal.

I am not sure we really are trading.  I don't think we have enough evidence to say that one is more accurate than the other.  To limited a sample size to be certain. 

But imo, they both throw well enough when they have time.  But when Grier decides to take off, he doesn't throw much, while PJ tries to throw while running more often.  This reduces his accuracy.  

4 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I am not sure we really are trading.  I don't think we have enough evidence to say that one is more accurate than the other.  To limited a sample size to be certain. 

But imo, they both throw well enough when they have time.  But when Grier decides to take off, he doesn't throw much, while PJ tries to throw while running more often.  This reduces his accuracy.  

They have attempts an almost identical number of passes in actual NFL games.  PJ edges him in about every aspect that exists in the stat column.   That is not an argument that PJ is better.   It’s just one that in actual games there isn’t much of argument that Will Grier is somehow better in that department 

19 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

“He won a game”

He beat the lions who was worse than us when our defense shut them out. He also threw 2 picks in the process.

This is such a bum excuse.

Danny Devito Lol GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

Like i said, if you dislike PJ Walker there is nothing he can do to change that. 

it is what it is.

21 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

One I don't dislike PJ.  Secondly that's BS he can't throw deep.  He hit Marshall in stride down the sideline.  

You have more excuses for PJ than you insist I do for Grier. 

Bridgewater has gone downfield, but that is not his forte. Same goes for Grier. Checkdowns are cool, but you would need 20 of them just to get downfield, as TJ Jenkins would say.

4 minutes ago, Tinamedina said:

Bridgewater has gone downfield, but that is not his forte. Same goes for Grier. Checkdowns are cool, but you would need 20 of them just to get downfield, as TJ Jenkins would say.

You're more worried about splash plays than being smart.  With an actual game plan I have more confidence that Grier can execute it better than Walker. 

I was fortunate to be able to watch the game again yesterday on AFN.  Grier looked solid and only missed one throw which was deemed a miscommunication (which happens in Preseason often).

One play in particular that both QBs used was the deep pass on the right side.  Grier hit Marshall in stride for a huge gain while Walker misfired on a pass to Shi Smith (who made an amazing catch out of bounds).  Same exact play.  Grier was on target while Walker threw it behind and out of bounds.  Similar pressure from the defense and the QB released the ball unhindered by the rush.  Grier on target, Walker Misfire. 

Grier should have looked better than Walker because the 2s are much better than the 3s.

Comparing Walker (against the Colts) and Grier (against the Ravens) with the 2nd team offense you can see Grier looked more in control and not ready to abandon the pocket so quickly.  While it is exciting to see him make plays with his feet the accuracy is scary.

22 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You're more worried about splash plays than being smart.  With an actual game plan I have more confidence that Grier can execute it better than Walker. 

I was fortunate to be able to watch the game again yesterday on AFN.  Grier looked solid and only missed one throw which was deemed a miscommunication (which happens in Preseason often).

One play in particular that both QBs used was the deep pass on the right side.  Grier hit Marshall in stride for a huge gain while Walker misfired on a pass to Shi Smith (who made an amazing catch out of bounds).  Same exact play.  Grier was on target while Walker threw it behind and out of bounds.  Similar pressure from the defense and the QB released the ball unhindered by the rush.  Grier on target, Walker Misfire. 

Grier should have looked better than Walker because the 2s are much better than the 3s.

Comparing Walker (against the Colts) and Grier (against the Ravens) with the 2nd team offense you can see Grier looked more in control and not ready to abandon the pocket so quickly.  While it is exciting to see him make plays with his feet the accuracy is scary.

Okay, whatever you say.

Honestly it might be Grier at this point. PJ has had more experience/chances to show what he can do and it’s very inconsistent. Grier seems to be more of the “take what the defense gives you” kind of player, which is fine for a backup. He also might have a little more potential IMO. With that said, my feelings would not be hurt if we sighed someone else and cut both Grier and Walker.

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Avoiding a sack doesn't mean jack sh-t if you throw a bad pass.

In Will Grier’s one NFL start he took 5 sacks….and had a worse completion % than PJ did in his one start.  He also had less yards, more INTs, less TDs, etc. 

Will Grier and PJ both aren't very good QBs.  So yeah, I'll take the mobile QB given what our OL looks like.   And again, PJ would be more useful prepping with our D before we play all the mobile QBs on the schedule.   

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

In Will Grier’s one NFL start he took 5 sacks….and had a worse completion % than PJ did in his one start.  He also had less yards, more INTs, less TDs, etc. 

Will Grier and PJ both aren't very good QBs.  So yeah, I'll take the mobile QB given what our OL looks like.   And again, PJ would be more useful prepping with our D before we play all the mobile QBs on the schedule.   

You're reaching by going back. Their more recent performances are way more relevant than previous ones.

And again, that "helps in practice" argument is still one of the stupidest things I've seen. You don't take up a roster spot for something as dumb as that.