• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Darnold "coddled" ?

TheBigKat

Just now, CRA said:

So Mike Tomlin had Big Ben out there for no reason for multiple series? 

or do they have a bunch of OL issues up front they wanted to rep so they are going into week 1 as prepared as possible…for what they can and can’t do and build chemistry. 

Not saying reps don't serve a purpose but it isn't going to make or break a QB's season. Remember last year when we didn't have ANY preseason? Was that why Teddy didn't work out?

If anything, it just means it may take a couple of games to shake off some rust. That's about the extent of it. If he doesn't get it by halfway through the year, it will have nothing to do with lack of preseason reps.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Not saying reps don't serve a purpose but it isn't going to make or break a QB's season. Remember last year when we didn't have ANY preseason? Was that why Teddy didn't work out?

If anything, it just means it may take a couple of games to shake off some rust. That's about the extent of it. If he doesn't get it by halfway through the year, it will have nothing to do with lack of preseason reps.

Last year no one had preseason though.   Made it an even playing field in terms of prep.  And it showed early. 

Teddy didn’t work out for all the reasons that were said before he took a snap.  He was a Checkdown QB.   He came here and was exactly what he always was….some people just claimed he wouldn’t be what he was because we have Rhule.   This season is basically a repeat.  

Just now, CRA said:

Last year no one had preseason though.   Made it an even playing field in terms of prep.  And it showed early. 

Teddy didn’t work out for all the reasons that were said before he took a snap.  He was a Checkdown QB.   He came here and was exactly what he always was….some people just claimed he wouldn’t be what he was because we have Rhule.   

Yeah but you are kind of making my point for me with the second half of your post. I am not concerned about his lack of preseason reps for that very reason. He's either gonna be the same bust he has always been or he'll work out. That would happen if he missed the preseason due to injury, illness, hold out, whatever this weird situation is, etc. 

This is where I fundamentally disagree with the "He's a rookie" crowd. He has been a professional football player for three full seasons. He knows how to go about being a professional football player or he wouldn't have even made it to this point(those guys usually get jettisoned quickly). So, his biggest hurdles are learning our system(has had a full offseason in it) and getting over whatever poo is rolling around in his head that makes him unable to process the field correctly. That would be the case no matter how many reps he takes in preseason games.

• Pie 1

42 minutes ago, CRA said:

QB league.   And we had a dirt cheap top tier prospect fall in our laps.  

if Darnold doesn’t work out.  The cost to add a prospect like Fields will likely come at a very steep cost.  Because one most likely wouldn’t fall in our laps twice. 

If Darnold turns out as bad as so many people on here seem to want to think we could easily be in the same position or better next time with what looks like a really good draft for the qb position. 

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but you are kind of making my point for me with the second half of your post. I am not concerned about his lack of preseason reps for that very reason. He's either gonna be the same bust he has always been or he'll work out. That would happen if he missed the preseason due to injury, illness, hold out, whatever this weird situation is, etc. 

This is where I fundamentally disagree with the "He's a rookie" crowd. He has been a professional football player for three full seasons. He knows how to go about being a professional football player or he wouldn't have even made it to this point(those guys usually get jettisoned quickly). So, his biggest hurdles are learning our system(has had a full offseason in it) and getting over whatever poo is rolling around in his head that makes him unable to process the field correctly. That would be the case no matter how many reps he takes in preseason games.

Well, I think Sam will be Sam.  But I am rooting for us to win as many as possible.  The opening of our schedule is where those winnable games are. 

I still find value in real live reps.  Getting hit. Sam learning how much he can trust and expect from different guys upfront.  OL getting reps to work on chemistry.  All that. Which preseason game reps give you.  

The controlled scrimmage reps don’t put guys under them same pressures because of the rules for those reps.  

30 minutes ago, CRA said:

Yeah, he didn’t actually say that though.  Said he could.  Said he would like to.  Then went into detail about how he could not see the field.   That’s the double talk. 

it’s like playing a half vs the Steelers.  He starts off by saying playing Darnold about half is the goal.  Then goes on to say he didn’t say he would play a half.  Then starts rambling about why Darnold’s night likely is not going to be half.  

Who really benefits from them setting everything in stone to the media?   Its not a set scenario is what I take from it basically and it doesnt really seem like it needs to be.

19 minutes ago, Smithers said:

If anything Darnold has been more exposed to opposing teams (snap wise) than and other QB in the league.  We held more joint scrimmages than any other team.  So no…he has not been coddled.  

He’s been coddled to an epic degree since he came into the NFL. The Jets traded Bridgewater who was his only competition to be the starter his rookie year, then ironically the Panthers did the same thing. Darnold hasn’t really been challenged to win a starting job since he came into the NFL. For a QB with a losing record who statistically graded out as one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL, the treatment he is still getting is insane. Darnold is a QB that should be competing with another QB to win the starting job. Giving it to a guy like him outright, a QB who has achieved literally nothing at the NFL level, is the definition of coddling.

• Flames 3

1 minute ago, Tr3ach said:

If Darnold turns out as bad as so many people on here seem to want to think we could easily be in the same position or better next time with what looks like a really good draft for the qb position. 

I am no Sam fan.  But I think if he remains Sam….we can get to 7ish wins.  Which isn’t great position for your standard draft if you need a top QB prospect. 

A healthy CMC is worth a couple wins.  If we had him last season we win more than 5 IMO. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

Well, I think Sam will be Sam.  But I am rooting for us to win as many as possible.  The opening of our schedule is where those winnable games are. 

I still find value in real live reps.  Getting hit. Sam learning how much he can trust and expect from different guys upfront.  OL getting reps to work on chemistry.  All that. Which preseason game reps give you.  

The controlled scrimmage reps don’t put guys under them same pressures because of the rules for those reps.  

Yeah, I mean, I am not saying there isn't any value but I don't find the depth of preseason reps to be anything I am worried about how it will impact his overall season here. 

And, credit to him for the joke he made in the press conference, but he does have plenty of experience getting hit. Not lacking in those reps.

I am sure we just aren't going to agree about this issue but I just don't really find enough fault in limiting his reps in the preseason that I think it will ultimately matter. Definitely not what I personally would have done were I the head coach, but Rhule wants to roll that way so it just is what it is.

4 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I wonder if Phillip Rivers would consider coming out of retirement to be our backup?

I have a feeling that guy would want nothing to do with this mess of a team. Stafford himself nixed the trade to the Panthers. I can imagine the sentiment among veteran QBs might be similar. If anything Rivers should just go back and play for Indy for a few games until Wentz heals up.

7 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Who really benefits from them setting everything in stone to the media?   Its not a set scenario is what I take from it basically and it doesnt really seem like it needs to be.

I don’t think it benefits a coach to be honest.  That isn’t my argument. 

I largely bring it up when someone wants to quote a coach and what he says…..as the end all truth on a topic/debate.  They aren’t honest about things.  It doesn’t benefit them to be. 

• Pie 1