• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Easing rookies into the game...

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I am sure it happens a bunch. I just think you accept the errors if the guy has upside versus the guy you know is going to fug up.

This particular situation has its own merits.  Coach announces the starting 5 and immediately loses a starter.  Now that depth has been effected, it should make them reconsider.  The oline is where you pick the best unit over the best 5 players.  Sum of the parts or whatever.  With no established group, why not see if the youngins can scrap?

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I am sure it happens a bunch. I just think you accept the errors if the guy has upside versus the guy you know is going to fug up.

You know the rookie will screw up but you don't know the vet will. In fact you expect him not to screw up. That is why he is starting. Seems to me there is no reason rushing someone to.play when you can ease him into the lineup.  Brown for example is a road grader but not great in pass blocking. So give him some play when we are trying to ground and pound but don't put him in in a 2 minute drill where you are passing every down. You can use him situationally while he improves on practice until he is a complete player. Then he can become the starter.

Edited by panthers55

23 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You know the rookie will screw up but you don't know the vet will. In fact you expect him not to screw up. That is why he is starting. Seems to me there is no reason rushing someone to.play when you can ease him into the lineup.  Brown for example is a road grader but not great in pass blocking. So give him some play when we are trying to ground and pound but don't put him in in a 2 minute drill where you are passing every down. You can use him situationally while he improves on practice until he is a complete player. Then he can become the starter.

Elflein has consistently fuged up in his career.

• Flames 1

21 hours ago, top dawg said:

Many fans thought Whitehead sucked from the beginning. They were right!

When a veteran like him sucks, it's really easy to spot and to decide that he just hasn't got it anymore (if he ever had it).

When a rookie sucks, is he really bad or is he still trying to figure out the game and his place in it? There's the problem. A drafted player on the bench might be a bit timid out there, or it could be the coach that's actually the timid one.

Rhule seems methodical, perhaps to a fault, in developing players. His penchant for taking guys from his time at Temple (and maybe a bit from Baylor) kind of speaks to it.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Elflein has consistently fuged up in his career.

He hasn't played a regular season down here. If he screws up it won't be long before he is replaced. Given all the churn on this roster it is clear Rhule won't keep a guy starting if he has a better option and will move on from anyone like he did with Teddy after 1 year 

Edited by panthers55

16 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

He hasn't played a regular season down here. If he screws up it won't be long before he is replaced. Given all the churn on this roster it is clear Rhule won't keep a guy starting if he has a better option and will move on from anyone like he did with Teddy after 1 year 

Agreed. I don't think he will be starting long.