• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Don't click this. Just don't.

Zod

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Because when a unit is bad every player on the unit should have the same low score?

Not how that works.

Speaking of Burns what is his pass rush grade? What is his run grade? Is it possible he is doing well against the pass and not the run? 

No way Matt Paradis is better at his job than Burns is at his. Like at all. 

Edited by Pantherxtreme
  • Pie 5

3 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Sam is doing well, and has plenty of experience with a bad OL.  But we are are seeing a performance very similar to what we saw last year and no one would try to say Teddy was super elusive or an awesome scrambler.  Our pass blocking is ok, and our run blocking is poor.  First too games weren't too bad against tough DL's, but we were BAD against Houston.

The line is what it is.  I wish the rookies were ready, but apparently they aren't yet.  

Cheering when our OL gets injured doesn't help.  People here were posting disappointment now that it looks like Williams is going to play on Sunday.    

The line whine is an integrated part of the DNA of the huddle.

Guess I’ve always been a big fan of defense and the Big Uglies on offense.  Had an opportunity to see four HOF linemen play live in the Coli, and even more on the other side of the stadium…like John Hannah (Alabama), etc…I value a great offensive line, not only for the QB, but all skill players on offense.

• Beer 1

Our pass blocking hasn't had a true test as of yet in terms of game situations forcing us into having to pass by being down one or two scores and the defense knowing exactly what to expect especially if CMC is out. Eventually this is going to get tougher as we face better opposing qb's. For the time being Sam has made this group look much better with his pocket movement and the emphasis on getting the ball out quicker. But it is okay to admit we still need to make significant upgrades along the line and if someone takes that personally sports may not be for them.

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, Bartin said:

One thing that is always overlooked is how much the QB is a factor in how the line looks. Darnold is getting through his reads quickly and being decisive. Wilson is not. Fields is the same. If you go watch Kurt Warner's breakdown of Fields vs the Browns you will see that at least half the sacks he took were avoidable if he took the throw that was available before the sack.

You are exactly right.  Time to throw makes a line look better or worse.  Sam has the 8th HIGHEST pocket time in the league at 2.4s....he has taken more time to throw than MOST of the league. 

So when Matt Ryan takes 2.3s and still has more sacks and hits than we do, what does that say about his line?  Do you want the Atlanta line?  Because according to PFF, you do.

• Beer 3

9 minutes ago, Pantherxtreme said:

I ignore him.  He wants everyone to go look up stats for him.  He's always asking "what his grade for this" assuming it will help his point.  I think he works for PFF because the only way to get that data is to give them money.

30 minutes ago, Pantherxtreme said:

It’s a three game sample. I’m sure everyone at PFF would choose Burns over Paradis if they were building a team. 

24 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

I ignore him.  He wants everyone to go look up stats for him.  He's always asking "what his grade for this" assuming it will help his point.  I think he works for PFF because the only way to get that data is to give them money.

Yards before contact, not yards per carry. 

29 minutes ago, stbugs said:

JFC and there are still some delusional folks who think we have a good OL. The D only allowing 10 ppg has allowed us to never get one dimensional on offense or really forced to pass. I really hope the rookies step up because this OL is going to get our QB killed if the D has a bad day.

The only people saying we have a good OL are in your mind.  By definition, that is a delusion.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

You are exactly right.  Time to throw makes a line look better or worse.  Sam has the 8th HIGHEST pocket time in the league at 2.4s....he has taken more time to throw than MOST of the league. 

So when Matt Ryan takes 2.3s and still has more sacks and hits than we do, what does that say about his line?  Do you want the Atlanta line?  Because according to PFF, you do.

PFF actually has a pretty bad grade on Atlanta according to that graph.  You are just upset it isn't as bad as ours.  

Accoding to a site you like to reference, 2021 NFL Advanced Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com Atlanta really only has one more sack given up, and in reality their pressure rate given up is better than us. Also in the running game they are better than us in yards before contact.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The really scary part? Honestly our pass blocking has appeared substantially better than the run blocking.

actually it might be, this graph is disturbing.

2021 NFL Advanced Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Yards per game can be misleading, heavily influenced by coaching philosophy.  Yards per carry can be somewhat misleading because of the ability of your RB.  

According to this graph in yards before contact, which is basically how soon does the RB get touched, we are second to last at 1.7 yards, to put that in perspective the Jets are 14th at 2.6.  I would think yards before contact would be a pretty good indicator of your O-lines ability to get a push.  Of course scheme helps some, but still its very bad for our O-line but honestly it is inline what we are seeing on the weekend.

So in yards before contact rushing we are 31st, in pressure % allowed we are 24th, clearly we have one of the worst lines in the game at this point.   

Edited by AU-panther

7 minutes ago, BlackPanther21_ said:

Pff is disgustingly obsessed with run-stopping.

Maybe. 

But Burns is a key part of a D that's #1 in stopping the run at 2.6 yards per attempt.  So how bad could he possibly be?  So bad that he is worse than our linemen who are some of the worst in the NFL according to pff?  

• Pie 1