• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bridgewater(2020) vs. Darnold(2021) through 6 games.

kungfoodude

20 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

teddy_darnold_6games.thumb.png.0763c171d88103d7b242871cf5cc4250.png

Interesting that their performances were relatively close, albeit each one better in their relative strengths. 

Two QBs of differing experience and styles of play with minimal statistical differences, same results. Might be that the factors of O-line and OC they shared will end up with the same results.

• Beer 1

Just now, amcoolio said:

They are both below average QB's, the waves with Darnold are just way choppier whereas Bridgewater is a stale pool of water on the road. In the end it will net us the same result. Team will be aggressive in the offseason to upgrade the position

That's basically my take. Bridgewater can win on a complete team with an elite defense but that is probably about the only scenario where he can. Darnold probably would struggle to win at just about any stop in the NFL. 

Teddy is the floating turd, Darnold is the sinking turd. Maybe in 2022 we will not choose to go bobbing for turds again.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, through six games they weren't being terribly critical of Teddy yet. That has not been the case for Darnold. Rhule talked yesterday about how Darnold hasn't been playing well. IMO, they will be off that bandwagon far sooner. 

Teddy can lull you to sleep because he completes a high percentage of his passes and does a decent job of taking care of the ball. Darnold does not have that. His mistakes are so incredibly obvious and back breaking. That will make any coach around upset. 

Plus, Teddy is pretty static in his performances game to game and Darnold is ALL over the map.

I honestly felt we hadn't seen worse QB play in our franchise history over a sustained period of time because Teddy was so conservative overall, combined with his clutch mistakes, and losing whatever it was, 8 or 9 games on the last drive.  But, then along came Sam...  I figured as long as we got a guy that was somewhat accurate and willing to go downfield, we would win several more games.  And here we are now with Sam having a lower yards per attempt than even Captain of the Checkdown Teddy.  

I will also say, as the year went on, Teddy did get worse and mistakes more obvious than early in the season, Sam has just got the jump on him because he's been doing it here and there for weeks already and is generally costing us games before we get to the 4th.

But, now with hindsight and more perspective 6 weeks into this season, two things are clear - a lot of Teddy's problems were Brady being a horrible coordinator, and two, Sam is indeed a horrible QB.

I said it in the gamethread Sunday, but if they want to salvage anything from this season, they are better off going ahead and starting PJ before we get too upside down on our record.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Teddy came from this system and had experience with Brady and produced ok results. Darnold is new to the system and is still learning the offense. He is a rookie in this system and didn't have much good experience in New Jersey. 

Teddy was who he was but Darnold is still learning and growing. As to which one is better, how many long drives did Teddy have to tie or win at the end of the game. 

I don't remember any. That is all you need to know.

• Pie 4
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I honestly felt we hadn't seen worse QB play in our franchise history over a sustained period of time because Teddy was so conservative overall, combined with his clutch mistakes, and losing whatever it was, 8 or 9 games on the last drive.  But, then along came Sam...  I figured as long as we got a guy that was somewhat accurate and willing to go downfield, we would win several more games.  And here we are now with Sam having a lower yards per attempt than even Captain of the Checkdown Teddy.  

I will also say, as the year went on, Teddy did get worse and mistakes more obvious than early in the season, Sam has just got the jump on him because he's been doing it here and there for weeks already and is generally costing us games before we get to the 4th.

But, now with hindsight and more perspective 6 weeks into this season, two things are clear - a lot of Teddy's problems were Brady being a horrible coordinator, and two, Sam is indeed a horrible QB.

I said it in the gamethread Sunday, but if they want to salvage anything from this season, they are better off going ahead and starting PJ before we get too upside down on our record.

Yeah but I don't think PJ has it either. He's in a similar mold of being an athletic gunslinger. Although we won, we saw the crippling INT's he threw versus Detroit. In all honesty, he's a lower ceiling version of Darnold and I don't think that is what we need. 

A lot of the fans said prior to the season that we were clearly all in on Darnold when we didn't sign or draft a new QB. Barring injury, it will be Darnold for 17 games.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Teddy came from this system and had experience with Brady and produced ok results. Darnold is new to the system and is still learning the offense. He is a rookie in this system and didn't have much good experience in New Jersey. 

Teddy was who he was but Darnold is still learning and growing. As to which one is better, how many long drives did Teddy have to tie or win at the end of the game. 

Sam is a fourth year pro the training wheels are off now my guy.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Well, Teddy has five 4th quarter comebacks and 6 game winning drives in his career. The last one he had was in New Orleans.

Darnold has a total of three 4th quarter comebacks and 4 game winning drives in his career. The last one he had was in 2019. 

Neither of these guys is capable of producing in crunch time. Their track record bears that out.

The growing and learning part.....I am not sure how you see such an obvious regression(visible and statistical) and view that as "growing and learning." What is actually happening is that we are seeing the same player we saw for three years in New York. He just simply isn't the guy.

Quite unfortunately for all of us, we are just going to see more and more of that as the season progresses because we literally have no other option.

• Flames 2

Just now, frankw said:

Sam is a fourth year pro the training wheels are off now my guy.

He may be in his 4th year but any casual fan knows that when a QB changes systems the curve is steep at first. He benefits from playing in the league but has to start over with a new team and new offense. By all accounts he didn't learn much in New York and may have had to unlearn quite a bit. The point is Teddy had a huge advantage yet didn't look that great. So to expect Darnold to come in here and fire it up is realistic at best.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, Teddy has five 4th quarter comebacks and 6 game winning drives in his career. The last one he had was in New Orleans.

Darnold has a total of three 4th quarter comebacks and 4 game winning drives in his career. The last one he had was in 2019. 

Neither of these guys is capable of producing in crunch time. Their track record bears that out.

The growing and learning part.....I am not sure how you see such an obvious regression(visible and statistical) and view that as "growing and learning." What is actually happening is that we are seeing the same player we saw for three years in New York. He just simply isn't the guy.

Quite unfortunately for all of us, we are just going to see more and more of that as the season progresses because we literally have no other option.

So how many did he have with the Panthers in 2020.?  Your dislike for Darnold is obvious but to make the assertion that Teddy was better than Darnold at this point for the Panthers is really stretching it. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Stop using that “rookie” excuse. Sam is a damn QB and a vet. Isn’t like he has to learn to write with his left hand. 
It is now 6 games in if he hasn’t “learned the system” by now he won’t. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

He may be in his 4th year but any casual fan knows that when a QB changes systems the curve is steep at first. He benefits from playing in the league but has to start over with a new team and new offense. By all accounts he didn't learn much in New York and may have had to unlearn quite a bit. The point is Teddy had a huge advantage yet didn't look that great. So to expect Darnold to come in here and fire it up is realistic at best.

He's still making the same bad decisions he did in New York. Carson Wentz whom most fans here dismissed as a lost cause seems to be doing fine with that learning curve. Even Teddy started off well in Denver they have the same record as us. I get that we want to take a glass half full look with our team and our oline and playcalling are not always ideal but our offense should not be this inept with the talent we have and Sam has to start connecting on those deep balls enough is enough with the kid gloves even his coach is saying so.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

So how many did he have with the Panthers in 2020.?  Your dislike for Darnold is obvious but to make the assertion that Teddy was better than Darnold at this point for the Panthers is really stretching it. 

How many did he have with the Panthers in 2020? So....you didn't even make it through the second sentence?

Your Darnold fanboyism is obvious. Point out where I said Teddy is better than Darnold? Did you even read any of the posts in this thread or did you just get up in your feels and lash out?

They have both performed pretty similarly through 6 games in their Panthers careers. The results for Teddy got him ejected from the franchise. Don't be surprised when you see similar or worse results from Darnold that also get him walking papers after 2021. 

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Flames 1